Bill Haithcoat's Health Condition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill, if you are able to read this Forum, I havent forgotten you. I still come down to Atlanta each year during April, stay at Crowne Plaza Ravinia, go to the Atlanta Symphony , and visit my several friends in the area. I have checked your Church's bulletin for any updates on your condition; they ask for prayers, and even if my religion is other than Roman Catholic, I hope mine are welcome.

I look forward to the day when we can meet again at MARTA Dunwoody and have a Breakfast together; GBN

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently received an update from Bill's sister regarding Bill's condition. He is still in a nursing home in Atlanta and has been in hospice for 10 months. He is thin, but his face "looks good.. no wrinkles," according to his sister. :)

He can barely speak above a whisper, so he is unable to speak on the phone.

He welcomes Railfan visitors. The nursing home may be reached by MARTA, which makes visiting fairly easy. If anyone that knows Bill will be in Atlanta and would like to visit him, please either contact me or Bill's sister, if you know her. Thank you.

I know we are all thinking about Bill and sending our warm thoughts to him.

Namaste

Just got word that Bill has passed away earlier this evening.
default_sad.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Bill was a friendly man and a great resource on the history of passenger rail who will be missed by many, but it's honestly rather comforting to think he no longer has to worry about his capabilities or the nature of his future. I understand that each person has a different reaction to death, but having watched a family member cling to a perpetually confused and seemingly meaningless existence I'm actually calmed and heartened to hear that Bill has passed away. Hopefully his family had the opportunity to make peace with his loss.

default_sad.png

DA, I agree. I felt it was a blessing when my husband died after all he had gone through.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

So sorry to learn about Bill's passing away. Brings back memories of many hours we spent together talking about various things railroad. He was a treasure trove of knowledge. He will be missed by all whose life he touched. He was a good man. May he rest in peace and may he see Green signals ahead of him all the way....

Agree with Chris and Betty.Happy Rails Bill.

I too will always have fond memories of the times I visited with Bill @ Gatherings

and rode the Crescent with hin and discussed his knowledge about the Southern RR and looking @ his vast collection of timetables.

He was a true Southern Gentleman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about this sad news as well. I had the pleasure of meeting up with Bill on two occasions when my Amtrak itinerary began at the Atlanta station. He was enthusiastically waiting for me at the station. We had informative discussions while waiting for the train to arrive. Farewell my friend.

Back