Bill Haithcoat's Health Condition

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_sad.png
I wish I had more of a chance to interact with him, especially while he was in good health. I've heard many good things about him and my interactions with him have been positive as well.

May light perpetual shine upon him.

I first met Bill on the Capitol Limited in 2007 while going to the first AU Gathering. What a wealth of railroad knowledge this guy had. Even though we conversed a lot, what I wouldn't give to listen to him talk about the passenger trains of yesteryear again. If you wanted the consist of any named passenger train in the east, you could just ask him. The second Gathering to LA, we were both on the Sunset Limited in 2008, and when I came through Atlanta in 2009, he was eager to come meet anyone who was passing through on the Crescent. He was a long time writer for the Atlanta Journal Constitution paper as well.

Here's to Bill. I'm sure he's riding on the Chattanooga Choo-Choo to eternity. (He was from Chattanooga after all)

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. He really was a treasure and I always enjoyed chatting with him. Condolences to his sister and the rest of his surviving family and friends.

Godspeed my friend.

I have heard from Bill's sister:

He contacted pneumonia a couple of weeks ago and was unable to recover..so he died peacefully yesterday at about 7PM...so I will appreciate it if you can spread the word among the Railfan group,,,,,also please send me your address and I will send you a copy of the lengthy obit that he composed himself...you will enjoy it.. The funeral will be in Atlanta on 11/7 with burial and a graveside service in Chattanooga the following day...

He sounds like a really good asset to the board and a good friend of many here. Sorry to hear of his passing. Prayers for he and his family.

I received in the mail a photocopy of Bill's obituary. I photographed it with my phone and will attempt to attach it. Hopefully, it will be right side up and readable. If not, I will try again.

IMG_2401.JPG

It is an honor to share here at the Forum that I knew Bill "face to face".

Until his health no longer permitted, I always met with Bill for Breakfast on my annual journeys to Atlanta (air or auto; a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL and vv "just too much" - even though we know Bill would have done the latter). Bill "detested" driving (can't blame him, for Atlanta is home of "world's worst drivers"), and preferred for his family visits in Chattanooga to ride Greyhound. He had shared that "until the end as in A-Day", the train was simply how his family, not necessarily railfans, got about.

He was one of the most patient fellows I've known. For our Breakfast meet ups, he always wanted to use MARTA, and I was happy to retrieve him. But one time, I "took wrong turns" to get from a Courtyard in Roswell where I was staying to the North Springs station (end of the Red Line). When I got there (no "where are you" phone calls) about 20 min late, there he was in the Kiss and Ride pickup area, and amid my apologies, he was just "I knew you'd get here".

The railfan community has lost a grand member; may he rest in peace.

Back