BiPAP in sleeper and coach?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a BiPap. I will not wake up without electricity, and my BiPap won't return on while I sleep. I have found a Jackary with wheels and a retractable handle. I should have contacted Amtrak before I applied for and received the MasterCard. This is most likely an ADA-covered item. I plan to use Roomettes and Bedrooms where available. If they are unavailable, I won't go if I can't use this in coach. I will be contacting Amtrak to discuss this matter. There is no way that I can sleep without the BiPap machine. It is a health hazard. I found this out the hard way. I explained it to my doctor, who agreed it was a close call for death.

Last edited:
Jackary is a portable battery pack.
BiPap is an upgrade C-Pap type machine.

Not sure what ADA has to do with this.

So my first question is why the BiPap does not have an alarm in case of loss of power. 2nd question is why does it not have a backup power. 3rd question is why it does not reset.

This seem to be a work around for have a better system design for traveling.

I don’t see any major issues with the set up, when used in a sleeper. You might even be able to use it in coach. The problem is it’s going to be a space hog, and I would not want the whole coach know about it. (Personal issue.)

As for carry on limits, medical devices are exempt from it.

In recap shop around for a better system that design for traveling. Lost of power occurs way to frequently even at the house for a life depending machine not to have a built in backup.

Last edited:
HEP power is shut off or fails often, sometimes intentionally, like during switching at Spokane, San Antonio, and Albany, sometimes because of other issues. In any case, it is not as reliable as that supplied by the grid (which is not a sure thing, either).

I have a CPAP, although if it stops for any reason, I inevitably wake up. It also will restart at my first attempt to draw breath after power is restored. So power loss is not the concern for me it is for you. I will react to it, my CPAP will, too.

To ensure continuous power to your BiPAP, you will need carry a backup power supply/battery system. Amtrak won't have a problem with this, although if in coach, it sounds large enough it might infringe on your seatmate, which would be an issue. Be glad every row has an outlet now, that was not the case until fairly recently. Amtrak doesn't really enforce carry on limits, in any case medical devices are exempt.

Last edited:
So if you could, try a short trip on a long distance train so you can get the feel of the space on these trains. Maybe coach one-way and roomette the way back.

If you must travel by coach, getting two seats together for you and your kit might be an option. Amtrak does not allow passengers to buy two seats but you can claim ADA for the kit. It would be much easier to get two seats together from the start point. Mid-trip would be challenging with out the crew assisting.

Just some more late night rambling.

I have used my CPAP machine many times on long distance sleeper travel on most long distance trans. I can attest that it has not been a problem. Generally there are only rare times that the hotel power to the train is cut.<ost of them can be anticipated. If the train is being separated, if there is an engine change, or on the northeast corridor when you go through a phase change. It is true that power can be cut at unexpected times, however my experiences are that this is rare.

If you are in couch, I would let the conductor know of your situation. Perhaps they would fill the seat next to you as a last resort.

I haven't used my CPAP on a train yet, but I use it on a sailboat with a very limited power system. I use a power station similar to the Jackery. You could probably use one of the smaller power stations (like the 300) and keep them plugged in to the train power. I've never had a power loss more than about 20 minutes while engines were switched. If constant power is critical, I would hope you had some sort of alarm system. I've had my CPAP fail in power cuts at my house, and it was just a mild annoyance. BTW, Jackery is having a 20% off sale for the next few days.

My mother has a CPAP machine. When I have heard her use it, it seemed really loud and I couldn't even imagine trying to sleep near that device. Was hers abnormally loud or an old unit? Maybe so, but if I was in overnight coach and someone wanted to use one of those all night within a few seats of where I was, I don't think I could take it. I would be pacing the hallways or hanging out in the lounge if available all night. Respect to those who need to use a CPAP to stay healthy.

My mother has a CPAP machine. When I have heard her use it, it seemed really loud and I couldn't even imagine trying to sleep near that device. Was hers abnormally loud or an old unit? Maybe so, but if I was in overnight coach and someone wanted to use one of those all night within a few seats of where I was, I don't think I could take it. I would be pacing the hallways or hanging out in the lounge if available all night. Respect to those who need to use a CPAP to stay healthy.
I've been in CPAP therapy since the 1990s. My first CPAP sounded like a 747 on a takeoff roll. My current one is virtually silent.

The bad news is the newer machines are not nearly as durable or long lasting, although much easier to manage and quieter. They only last about 5 years or so. My original machine was in regular use for 12 years and was still working when I was convinced to replace it. It still works. I keep it as a backup.

Back