Birds on the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogers55

Service Attendant
A friend of mine is a parrot breeder and wants to take the train from LA to San Diego to deliver a bird. The bird is valuable and he doesn't want to ship it by normal means. I know you can't carry dogs and cats on the train but how about birds.

I suggested putting the bird in a box but there is no guarantee that the bird will keep his mouth shut.

no guarantee that the bird will keep his mouth shut.
So the parrot talks? No clue about Amtrak rules regarding our avian friends, but offhand would think that a talking parrot would be a popular addition to the passenger load. Kids would love it if the owner walked the train with the parrot, introducing it around.

You can't miss with a colorful talking bird.

Somewhere I have a pic of me in Las Vegas with a parrot on my head. Hauled out of the audience by the girl performing, and a parrot parked on my shoulder for all to see. Well-trained parrot immediately jumped on my head, looked down and said "Who the hell are you?" What could I do?

Danced and sang with the girl with a parrot sitting on my head - heavy audience hilarity - and was later asked out. By the girl, not the parrot.

I would hope, rogers55, that Amtrak could be kinda flexible on the bird front.

A friend of mine is a parrot breeder and wants to take the train from LA to San Diego to deliver a bird. The bird is valuable and he doesn't want to ship it by normal means. I know you can't carry dogs and cats on the train but how about birds. I suggested putting the bird in a box but there is no guarantee that the bird will keep his mouth shut.
From Amtrak.com

Animals Onboard

We allow trained service animals accompanying passengers with disabilities in all customer areas in our stations, trains and Amtrak Thruway motorcoaches.

Trained service animals must be kept under the control of their owners or trainers at all times.

We permit no other animals onboard at any time.

I suggest that you put the parrot inside a box made to look like ___________( insert chosen celbrity/politician of choice here) and then if he talks your covered.

In all honesty I would not reccomend bringing a bird on the train. While if it was inside a box no one may ever know if the conductor found the bird there could be some pretty serious consequences depending on the mood of the conductor and how the whole situation was handled.

I suggest that you put the parrot inside a box made to look like ___________( insert chosen celbrity/politician of choice here) and then if he talks your covered.
In all honesty I would not reccomend bringing a bird on the train. While if it was inside a box no one may ever know if the conductor found the bird there could be some pretty serious consequences depending on the mood of the conductor and how the whole situation was handled.

On my September Coast Starlight #11 trip, somehow a fellow got a cat on in Seattle & in Sacramento they would'nt let the the guy bring the cat to his connecting train. He found a lady to take it to the Sacramento Humane Society & he continued on his way!!! To me that is a little strange & sad!

On my September Coast Starlight #11 trip, somehow a fellow got a cat on in Seattle & in Sacramento they would'nt let the the guy bring the cat to his connecting train. He found a lady to take it to the Sacramento Humane Society & he continued on his way!!! To me that is a little strange & sad!

That is one of the problems with attempting a move like that. He obviously got away with it on the one train, but either the station or the next train's crew took issue with it or merely found out about him the pulling that on the first go around.

Leave pets at home when traveling, or have them boarded somewhere, ship them or drive if you need them at your destination, or maybe just not have pets if you must travel a lot with no one to take care of them while you're gone.

The guy probably could have gotten away with it if he had simple informed Amtrak he had a service animal at the time of making the reservation. He obviously didn't have a reason to have a service animal.

OBS gone freight...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't even ship animals as baggage anymore. I'm not sure if the Feds or Humane Society, or maybe both, ganged up on Amtrak and made them cease carrying animals. On today's trains it would probably be almost impossible with the lack of baggage cars. I wouldn't want my animal suffocating in a coach baggage compartment. Like OBS Gone Freight says, If you love the animal that much put him/her in the doggie wagon and drive on.

You can't even ship animals as baggage anymore. I'm not sure if the Feds or Humane Society, or maybe both, ganged up on Amtrak and made them cease carrying animals. On today's trains it would probably be almost impossible with the lack of baggage cars. I wouldn't want my animal suffocating in a coach baggage compartment. Like OBS Gone Freight says, If you love the animal that much put him/her in the doggie wagon and drive on.
But Mr Conductor its a BIRD not an ANIMAL!!! :blink:

Trinfan

Trinfan
Well you've completely lost me on this one. IF it's not an animal just what is a bird? (and please don't say it's "just" a bird)

Leave pets at home when traveling, or have them boarded somewhere
OBS gone freight...
Fully agree with OBS (Orange Blossom Special?). Pets belong at home, not on trains or planes. My cat, Intruder, becomes agitated when he sees me packing for a trip. Tough. He gets farmed out, and so far is always alive when I get back. He'd only be a hindrance when traveling.

OBS gone freight...
Fully agree with OBS (Orange Blossom Special?). Pets belong at home, not on trains or planes. My cat, Intruder, becomes agitated when he sees me packing for a trip. Tough. He gets farmed out, and so far is always alive when I get back. He'd only be a hindrance when traveling.
If you like cats - bookmark THIS page and look at it everyday!

We have a Bichon dog. She is well trained and well behaved. We have taken her on many trips, including trains in Europe and NJ Transit & LIRR trains. She has flown across the Atlantic eight times without incident. I do understand why animals cannot be taken on long distance trains as there are not proper facilities for them. There have been several times that we have driven on a trip rather than taking the train because we could not take the dog. We have boarded her on a couple of occasions with our vet but I don't like cageing her except when absolutely required. I support Amtrak's position on pets.

I believe that in OBS chief gone freight IIRC he was an On Board Services Chief on the Silver Service who know works for a freight railroad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinfan
Well you've completely lost me on this one. IF it's not an animal just what is a bird? (and please don't say it's "just" a bird)
Oh you have seen "Dana, The Magician"'s act :lol:

Aloha

Trinfan
Oh you have seen "Dana, The Magician"'s act :lol:

Aloha
No...where can I catch it at Eric? My wife has been wanting to go to the islands. Last time I was there was '68~ many moons ago. Co-incidentally I found where Amtrak is requesting 25 baggage dormitory cars for new rolling stock.Don't have the foggiest who would even bid on them. I don't think they'll ever go back to handling pets as baggage even with new cars. In the pre-Amtrak days, and a couple of years into them, each train had a baggage man who tended to the car and its contents. With UPS and Fedex the baggage car dwindled down to just a small pile of bags mostly for the pax on the same train. Railway Express even had their own fleet of express and milk cars with their own messengers at one time. Sometimes it's nice to think about the old days. I feel for those who are having to fight today's unemployment and foreclosures.

No...where can I catch it at Eric? My wife has been wanting to go to the islands. Last time I was there was '68~ many moons ago. Co-incidentally I found where Amtrak is requesting 25 baggage dormitory cars for new rolling stock.Don't have the foggiest who would even bid on them. I don't think they'll ever go back to handling pets as baggage even with new cars. In the pre-Amtrak days, and a couple of years into them, each train had a baggage man who tended to the car and its contents. With UPS and Fedex the baggage car dwindled down to just a small pile of bags mostly for the pax on the same train. Railway Express even had their own fleet of express and milk cars with their own messengers at one time. Sometimes it's nice to think about the old days. I feel for those who are having to fight today's unemployment and foreclosures.
Dana The Magician

OBS gone freight...

I believe that in OBS chief gone freight IIRC he was an On Board Services Chief on the Silver Service who know works for a freight railroad.

Nope not as a chief, but as a service/train attendant in Amtrak's "On Board Services" Dept. It is separate from the operating crew which would be under the Train & Engine (T&E) dept. There were still some chief of OBS, but they cut those jobs about a year after I started at Amtrak and created Operation Supervisors positions for some of those old chiefs, however, the rest had to fall back on their other crafts on board.

OBS gone freight...

Aloha

I have known of Dana for years, Was a regular act in the Golden Horseshoe Review for many years. He left after last summer. He did a mind reading routine with a bird. The punch line was "It's a bird" I may have a piece of video of this routine.

Thanks MrFSS never even thought to use the internet to see what Dana was up too.

A Big Mahalo for the link

Eric

Trinfan
<_< I think you missed the humorous sarcasm in that statement :)

Trainfan

Trinfan

Trainfan
Maybe you can get away with it if you can train the parrot to sit very, very still, and can get the conductor to believe it's a dead parrot? "Oh, no, Mr. Conductor. He's not a parrot, he's an ex-parrot! 'e's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If 'e weren't nailed to his perch, 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!"

Of course, at this point you're in big trouble if the parrot suddenly wakes up and says "Oh, no, I'm just pinin' for the fjords..." :D

Trinfan

Trainfan
Maybe you can get away with it if you can train the parrot to sit very, very still, and can get the conductor to believe it's a dead parrot? "Oh, no, Mr. Conductor. He's not a parrot, he's an ex-parrot! 'e's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If 'e weren't nailed to his perch, 'e'd be pushing up the daisies!"

Of course, at this point you're in big trouble if the parrot suddenly wakes up and says "Oh, no, I'm just pinin' for the fjords..." :D
And then there's the penguins...

When I started this topic I had no idea it generate so many posts.

I told my friend the bird man that the rule was no pets.

He came up with the idea of putting a towel over the cage so the conductor wouldn't know it was a bird.

I discouraged that, seemed to be too obvious.

Bird man says that the dead bird idea has been tried, smugglers use Tequila to anesthetize birds and hide them in a vehicle when crossing the border.

A friend of mine is a parrot breeder and wants to take the train from LA to San Diego to deliver a bird. The bird is valuable and he doesn't want to ship it by normal means. I know you can't carry dogs and cats on the train but how about birds. I suggested putting the bird in a box but there is no guarantee that the bird will keep his mouth shut.

No doubt the bird would behave better than many riding in coach. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back