Birmingham to Omaha

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
I am beginning some work around Omaha and since I had some time before work and plenty of points to burn I of course wanted to take the the train. The AGR agent would not book me by way of New Orleans so I booked my points trip from NOL and just payed coach for BHM to NOL.

Crescent was on time out of BHM, some track work set us back about 20 minutes but then it was smooth sailing so with the padding we arrived on time into NOL. I had lunch in the diner and actually got to sit by myself, which was unusual. Veggie Burger was good, complete with toasted bun. Service was good too.

Was very happy to see how far construction has come on the NOL streetcar expansion which will have the cars stopping right outside of the Union Station and headed towards Canal street. That will save my 1 mile hike with my luggage! (I dont usually bother with taxis).

Stayed at the Holiday Inn on Canal, ate dinner in the French Quarter and did some walking about the next day before walking back to the station.

I grabbed lunch and boarded the train at about 1:30, this was the North bound City of New Orleans. Ticket agents were particularly friendly, the one seemed amused to print a ticket for Omaha! Ha. Conductor scanned my ticket at the gate and I headed for the sleeper toward the front of the train. I can't remember my attendants name but she was delightful. Very laid back. This is my second time recently on the City and have found it to be consistently the best in dining cars. I had the crab cakes for dinner... Staff and food was excellent. Dinner rolls were even served warm. Just exceptional all the way around. Breakfast was the same.

The sleeper was a seemingly brand new refurb from Beech Grove. Looked great... LED reading lights, and very cool "touch" controls rather than buttons.

South of Memphis we hit some major storms that set us back about 2 hours... We had to run at highly reduced speeds because a tornado had touched down about 20 minutes before and had left many fallen trees close to the tracks. At one point we stopped on an elevated curve because of a tree and a man in the sleeper was convinced we had derailed... The sleeper attendant was so patient with him and even went to check with the conductor to reassure him.

Oh by the way... The conductor the next morning, Mary McPherson, was excellent in announcing all of our delays, explaining the situation, and giving us good estimates of our arrival in Chicago.

Got in at 10;40 am... I headed to the Met. Lounge to Stowe my bag and saw a line clear down the hall, since I didn't want to waste my preciou time in Chicago I just rented a locker instead. Headed for the Starbucks in the Willis Tower, had my morning latte, and then hopped the L for millennium park. The bean looked extra cool with the cloudy skies and I walked though the gardens, and then toured the Chicago Public Library... Which I had somehow walked by dozens of times without going in. Breathtaking.

Quick lunch and back to union station to grab my bag and board the California Zephyr.

I was in the last car on the train and my attendant was Dennis Burns, he was just delightful. Friendly, professional, and just great, I hope to see him again one day. Train left on time at 2:00 and the fall colors were at a peak on the line to Aurora. This was my first time on the Zephyr... I can't wait to ride the full route one day.

I had the crab cakes again at Dinner, not quite as good as the city (both food quality and service) but still good. Staff was friendly, but a little slow. Of course they had a lot more people to feed then on the city too.

Coming in to Omaha there was a broken rail ahead of us. The crew was great at making announcements explaining the situation and giving estimated delays. Thankfully we only sat for about 20 minutes before proceeding at about 2 mph over a patched together rail as maintenance workers with flashlights observed every wheel successfully traveling over the patch. Bravo to BNSF for getting us through like that. Arrived Omaha about 40 minutes late... Not bad. Dennis wished me well and off I went to my hotel.

Really great experiences on all 3 trips, I heard "thank you for choosing Amtrak" more times than I can count and met several first time riders who seemed thrilled with this mode of Transit.

Enjoyed your trip report and glad you had a good time. We rode the Crescent and CONO last spring with a stop in New Orleans.

Also had the last car on the CZ in September. Long walk to the diner but we needed the exercise after those meals. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back