Bit of An Engine Hiccup for Amtrak #6(16)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
I overheard on the radio while the eastbound California Zephyr was in Ottumwa, Iowa that the train's lead unit had been isolated. The second unit was reported to have 930 gallons of fuel, and it was said that would be enough to reach Galesburg, Illinois on one engine. But whether train would be refueled in Galesburg was "a decision above my pay grade." Also, the dispatcher was told #6 could still reach track speed, but it take about ten miles. Agency is about seven miles from Ottumwa, and you can see below the train wasn't at full speed there yet. It looks like something has been streaked across the side of the second engine. Would that be oil?

If 124 was the lead engine and had a problem, like the main engine blew up allowing oil into some of the cylinders and hence into the exhaust system, necessitating it be isolated and moved in the consist, I would expect the black streaks to be facing the other direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
If 124 was the lead engine and had a problem, like the main engine blew up allowing oil into some of the cylinders and hence into the exhaust system, necessitating it be isolated and moved in the consist I would expect the black streaks to be facing the other direction.
Could it be that 124 is the operative locomotive and the lead unit shot that much oil into the air?

The video clearly shows the 158 is the lead unit. 124 is doing the honors. The problem with 158 shouldn't have caused those marks on the 124.

Agent...thank you for your frequent vids and relevant info!
You're welcome.

He's talking about 5 that departed Chicago on 6/19. I was in it for a points run to gbb.

Agent I enjoy your posts. Did you enjoy seeing Sierra hotel on the rear?
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1466419410.222037.jpg
Yes, it's always nice to see private varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back