Biz class fare increase on Wolverine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed quite the increase for Business Class on the Wolverine lately. It didn't seem all that long ago when upgrades could be had for 9$.... then it went to 13$, over the last year... now $39 per person?? it was probably underpriced before, and did usually sell out months ahead of time...so in a way I have to applaud Amtrak for charging a price they can hope to receive for the service. But I'll miss having the affordable option...if time travel were possible would just kick the younger Michigan Mom in the shin for turning down the 9$ upgrade when it was offered! :huh: :unsure: :blink: :mellow: :( ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still the same price from Kalamazoo ($16). I've been paying $16 for a year or so. Maybe you picked high-bucket dates?

Back in the day, the $9 upgrade included a $4 coupon for anything in the cafe car, plus unlimited free non-alcoholic beverages. That was definitely way underpriced.

I haven't checked the prices lately, but I think they are now dependent on city pairs, whereas before the upgrade was a flat charge regardless of where you were traveling from/to.

Last 4 times I've booke between KAL and CHI or vice versa it's always been sold out. Even a few weeks in advance..... So I guess the demand is there, price can't be far behind.

Yeah, I'm honestly clueless about how the buckets, and there does seem to be some city pair interaction. Which actually does make sense as opposed to charging the same rate no matter where along the route. Again, if the demand is there and people are willing to pay it, good for Amtrak!

3 Business Class Seats

(add $69.00)

...OK, so it's $23 per person, and that is out of Ann Arbor, on our travel date and for other days when it is available over the next couple weeks. While inquiring at the station recently using an Evoucher, the station agent advised it was something like $111 for 3 people on the same date. It looks like with the price increase, it doesn't sell out as quickly maybe, but I'm sure the car will always be sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back