Boarding 69 from lower level at NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This! I have been wondering though, is there any good way to identify what track a train will be on before they announce it? Because otherwise, there is limited benefit to heading down from the lower level, unless you literally check every track for your train.
There's actually 3 ways that I have determined how to identify which track your outbound train will be on...

1. For 'through' trains merely stopping at NYP, first, know what time your train will arrive at NYP...not scheduled time, ACTUAL time (use Amtrak 'train status' on your cellphone). Then simply watch which stairwell has a crowd coming out of it a couple minutes later. But the 'up' stairwell isn't always the one used for boarding passengers...sometimes they use the other side instead. Watch for the gate dragons and or red caps at both stairwells to figure it out. Obviously, this does not work for trains originating at NYP. One of my 'regular rider' friends I encounter every few weeks made friends with the gate dragon that almost always handles his train. He simply watches for him, along with a preceding outflow of passengers, and lines up there...first in line and boarded with the priority passengers! Considering his company only pays for coach travel, he's at least 'earned' some perks (he's not Select Plus, yet).

1a. Like all mankind, we are creatures of habit. If you take the same train repeatedly, you'll find the Penn Station 'dispatcher/director' puts it on the same track every day, perhaps 75% or more of the time. Obviously, late trains, whether yours or one or more prior to yours, will screw things up.

2. As mentioned above, a red cap will beat the entire rush for you. If you have a scanner, you could also tune into whatever frequency they use to advise the red caps. But being 'obvious' you have a scanner might attract various security personnel.

3. Get the gate info from the ClubAcela staff. Use (or buy) a club pass if AGR Select status, unlimited access with Select Plus or Executive. Note: They told a group of us track 10 West a couple weeks ago (train #94) and it was 10 East! I watched for a gate dragon and quickly made the switch before it was posted!

As indicated by The_Traveler above, only tracks 5/6 or 7/8 have access to the westside connection. Hang around there and watch for red caps going down with passengers and ultimately a gate dragon showing up.

This! I have been wondering though, is there any good way to identify what track a train will be on before they announce it? Because otherwise, there is limited benefit to heading down from the lower level, unless you literally check every track for your train.
1a. Like all mankind, we are creatures of habit. If you take the same train repeatedly, you'll find the Penn Station 'dispatcher/director' puts it on the same track every day, perhaps 75% or more of the time. Obviously, late trains, whether yours or one or more prior to yours, will screw things up.

3. Get the gate info from the ClubAcela staff. Use (or buy) a club pass if AGR Select status, unlimited access with Select Plus or Executive. Note: They told a group of us track 10 West a couple weeks ago (train #94) and it was 10 East! I watched for a gate dragon and quickly made the switch before it was posted!
Your first answer is flawed by a mile and then some. Penn Station isn't like say PHL where trains are put on the same track 9 times out of 10. Penn Station is the busiest in the nation. And at 8:15 in the morning it's hard to put a train on the same track everyday. You put the train on one of the four available tracks that's open first.

The second quoted answer is also flawed slightly. In NYP you can not buy a day pass to ClubAcela. You also can't buy a day pass if you're in coach. The Adirondack is an all coach train.

If you want to beat the “mad dash” when boarding is announced, get the aid of a Red Cap. They will take you down to the train before everyone else and get you situated. I always use Red Caps when boarding at NYP because of my disability. Give them a nice tip, too!
Thanks. I don't care about the mad dash - I just want to be absolutely certain I get a left-side window seat. I guess I'm best off waking up early and waiting upstairs, just to be safe.
Well if you want a left side window seat... You care about the "mad dash".
default_wink.png
IINM, on 69 they put passengers going into Canada in two cars. Can't remember off hand.
The track is posted downstairs at the same time it's posted upstairs, but since only a few people board from downstairs (and nobody there to check tickets), there's no line - you can just go down and board the train right away.

If you want to beat the “mad dash” when boarding is announced, get the aid of a Red Cap. They will take you down to the train before everyone else and get you situated. I always use Red Caps when boarding at NYP because of my disability. Give them a nice tip, too!
Thanks. I don't care about the mad dash - I just want to be absolutely certain I get a left-side window seat. I guess I'm best off waking up early and waiting upstairs, just to be safe.
default_wink.png
IINM, on 69 they put passengers going into Canada in two cars. Can't remember off hand.
The track is posted downstairs at the same time it's posted upstairs, but since only a few people board from downstairs (and nobody there to check tickets), there's no line - you can just go down and board the train right away.
The OP is going to Montreal. Passengers must check in at the main concourse. If he or she were going to ALB or anywhere else they could easily do that.

default_wink.png
The OP is going to Montreal. Passengers must check in at the main concourse. If he or she were going to ALB or anywhere else they could easily do that.

And, you don't want to board from the lower levels, anyway, during "rush hour..." because you'll get stampeded by commuters taking both LIRR and NJ Transit and rushing to meet their trains. I know, since I was one of those commuters on NJ Transit for many years
default_biggrin.png
. NYP generally posts/announces the gate for a given train (including NJ Transit) only 10 minutes before departure, even though the train may already be staged on the given track. One learns how to figure out what track the train is on and gets there before the masses does. Of course, the requirement to complete customs documentation and seating Canada bound pax. on specific cars might force one to use a specific stairwell/escalator, but....

So...one could dutifully 'check in' at the upper level, and then, using one of the recommended methods for finding the correct track, slip on down to the platform or at least the lower level at the proper stairway....

But like is said, it does not make sense that it is done only at NYP!
As dumb as it sounds... It's more efficient to give out the forms at NYP. If not conductors would have to hand them out when they are scanning tickets.
It doesn't sound dumb so much as overbearing. If efficiency is the key why not place the forms on the seats, and/or store them in a holder/dispenser along the bulkhead, and/or use e-forms on smart devices? I realize that some people are too cleaver/ignorant to take care of themselves but why should the 99% suffer unwanted corporate mothering because 1% need their hands held through all of life's little challenges?
I would say, and you might have thought this as well, that the actual percentage is closer to opposite direction.

So...one could dutifully 'check in' at the upper level, and then, using one of the recommended methods for finding the correct track, slip on down to the platform or at least the lower level at the proper stairway....
One could.... but I wonder how effective it would be if they're truly enforcing "security" and/or entrance restrictions (for customs purposes). On most trains, they probably wouldn't be. I just don't know how MTR bound trains work. If they have the train closed down except for the 1-2 cars near the stairs/escalator they want you to use (from the upper level), then no matter what stair you use, you'd have to make your way to those cars/doors to board. And I don't know if they'd chase you back upstairs until it's time to board.

It might work.... and it would probably work if it were a regular train.

default_wink.png
Yes but he was responding to me. I was asking as a general rule of thumb (not just for the Addie), if there's any good way to figure out the track.

I don't want to derail this thread, but if your train starts in NYP, is there any way to figure out the track? Like does the length or type of train affect anything? I'm thinking along the lines of the Silver Meteor, which at 11-12 cars, is the longest train to serve NYP.

default_wink.png
Yes but he was responding to me. I was asking as a general rule of thumb (not just for the Addie), if there's any good way to figure out the track.

I don't want to derail this thread, but if your train starts in NYP, is there any way to figure out the track? Like does the length or type of train affect anything? I'm thinking along the lines of the Silver Meteor, which at 11-12 cars, is the longest train to serve NYP.
Well, I can tell you this.

Tracks 1-4 are almost exclusively for NJ Transit, as there is no "throughway" passage to Suynnside yard. Tracks 14 & beyond are, primarily, for LIRR. Tracks 5-13 are up for grabs and could be used either by Amtrak or NJ Transit. I think that the tracks where there are escalators or elevators from the upper level to the platform (bypassing the "lower/nezzanine" level would be those most likely for Amtrak trains, especially if the track is near the Amtrak 1st class lounge (9-11 I think... don't remember).

I used to have several different approaches to determining the track. First, I'd stage myself on the lower/mezzanine level. Since I know most NJ Transit trains use tracks 1-4 (or at least my train did), I'd go halfway down the mezzanine stairwell and peek and see the sign on the train. If it was my Train, I pretty much knew it was that track. Also, I got to know the crews that would travel on my trains. The crew usually descends to the platform maybe 15-20 minutes ahead of the 1st boarding announcements. The doors to the crew station quarters were right on the mezzanine level. When I'd see *my* crew walk out and descend on to a platform, I knew that was my platform. Not perfect, but it worked well enough. Sometimes, NYP would fake you out and put a NJ transit train on 9 or 10 or even 13 (when it was long enough) or it came from Sunnyside yd. I would always check track 13 and then 1-4 constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a large number of NJT trains that sat in Sunnyside and headed in for the afternoon trips. When I worked on the wiring of GothamTower , I used to see them every day.

And if I head down to the train before they have announced the track and officially started boarding, would they even let me onboard? Or is the only benefit that I could skip the line once they are officially letting people board?

And if I head down to the train before they have announced the track and officially started boarding, would they even let me onboard? Or is the only benefit that I could skip the line once they are officially letting people board?
I'm not sure about Amtrak, but I do know NJ Transit really didn't care if people gathered outside the train before the doors opened. And the doors usually did open before the announcement was made. Thus, the early bird got the good seating. Amtrak might care a little. They might want to check tickets before letting you on the train. Just not sure.

Your first answer is flawed by a mile and then some. Penn Station isn't like say PHL where trains are put on the same track 9 times out of 10. Penn Station is the busiest in the nation. And at 8:15 in the morning it's hard to put a train on the same track everyday. You put the train on one of the four available tracks that's open first.

The second quoted answer is also flawed slightly. In NYP you can not buy a day pass to ClubAcela. You also can't buy a day pass if you're in coach. The Adirondack is an all coach train.
You're a hundred percent correct! During peak periods, it really is 'any track available' as once things start to back up, it's first come, first served. I'm fortunate that I don't get there before 9:25 AM and don't head back home until after 6:30 PM or so. Things have calmed down considerably by that hour. A couple months ago, I departed on #94 at 5:38 and the place was an absolute madhouse! So was the train!

I know I've seen 'purchase a 4-pack of ClubAcela passes for $xx.00 or yyyy points' somewhere, probably on the AGR site. But now it's not there, as I get full access being Select Plus. I'm surprised they don't offer it anyway as I could gift them to somebody.

When arriving on train #141 about 9:25AM, I've often seen passengers and the conductor on the platform that board as soon as those getting off have done so. I've wondered about how they knew which track. Obviously, the conductor and rest of the crew knew ahead of time. Whether the others are friends of the crew, Amtrak employees deadheading (I think several are, I've seen them multiple times), or regular passengers, I don't know.

How'd they get there? Or, more specifically, how did they know for certain that's the track? As for how did they get there, the obvious answer is from the LIRR mezzanine level. There's no gate dragons, no ticket checkers, but there may be a locked door every now and then. As AGR Select Plus, I get my outbound track number from one of the agents in the ClubAcela. But they sometimes announce it only a few seconds before it gets posted on the 'big board'. I still don't trust my knowledge of Penn Station to quickly get down to the LIRR level (that's the easy part) and then to the appropriate a track if it isn't #8-12 or so. So, for now, I just go where they tell me unless I find 'they' decided to board at the west gate vs east gate, or vice versa.

Another trick to use to determine what track your departing train will be on is this! (I have used it many times!
default_smile.png
)

If the train is a continuing train (like BOS-WAS), check the ARRIVAL board! Most likely, if it arrives on track 11, it will depart from track 11 also.

Would love to go to Montreal one of these days. I just wish the Adirondack had a better departure time from NYP.
Eh, 8:15 AM isn't too bad. The Cardinal is the holy grail of terrible LD train departure times - 6:45 AM!
default_wacko.png
True, the Cardinal is worse. Either way, it takes me three hours just to get to NYP from where I live. Would need to stay overnight in midtown the night before to catch either of those two trains. Same for the Maple Leaf.
Or you can ride an evening Empire Service train to ALB, spend the night there instead, and get a few hours more sleep before picking up the Adirondack.
Plus, you can board an Empire from the lower level of NYP without issue.
Yes, makes perfect sense. Hotels near Amtrak in ALB are less pricey than those near NYP. And departure time NOBO is later in the day.

Whether you can successfully get down to the platform early, and not be 'ushered' back upstairs, would depend on several things including your appearance and behavior on the platform, as well as the demeanor of employees you might encounter there, and your response to any challenge...

I have successfully boarded the Amtrak Autumn Express excursion train, on both occasion's it operated from NYP, about an hour before departure...

But then, I knew my way around that station very well, including some of its employee's....
default_wink.png

In Philly, and in Albany, I got there early and waited in the long line with everyone else...
default_smile.png

When arriving on train #141 about 9:25AM, I've often seen passengers and the conductor on the platform that board as soon as those getting off have done so. I've wondered about how they knew which track. Obviously, the conductor and rest of the crew knew ahead of time. Whether the others are friends of the crew, Amtrak employees deadheading (I think several are, I've seen them multiple times), or regular passengers, I don't know.

How'd they get there? Or, more specifically, how did they know for certain that's the track? As for how did they get there, the obvious answer is from the LIRR mezzanine level. There's no gate dragons, no ticket checkers, but there may be a locked door every now and then. As AGR Select Plus, I get my outbound track number from one of the agents in the ClubAcela. But they sometimes announce it only a few seconds before it gets posted on the 'big board'. I still don't trust my knowledge of Penn Station to quickly get down to the LIRR level (that's the easy part) and then to the appropriate a track if it isn't #8-12 or so. So, for now, I just go where they tell me unless I find 'they' decided to board at the west gate vs east gate, or vice versa.
Some people come down with a redcap. But I go down on my own. I'm also Select Plus and wait near the door in the Acela Lounge. in my experience nine times out of ten there is plenty of time to make it down before the track is announced to the general public. And I've never had a locked door. From the lounge it's a pretty simple route down to the track, there's no need to really know Penn Station well.

So, how do you find out which track you need to go to, in advance of its posting?
It's a little harder to do for Amtrak trains than NJ Transit. But one thing you can try is something mentioned above. If it's a "through" train (i.e. BOS===>DC), you can look at the "arrival" board before the train arrives. Chances are it will still be on the same track when it departs. If the train is originating from NYP, you have to do some old fashion snooping, The train is most likely going to depart from tracks 5-13, I would siimply descend each stairwell from the mezzanine (Lower) level enough to see if it's an Amtrak train on the track or not, and then proceed accordingly. If the train is not yet announced on the board, it's a good bet it might be your train. You use a similar process for the NJ Transit commuter trains but it's a little easier because:

1. Most NJ Transit trains depart from tracks 1-4 (but not always) Amtrak trains rarely if ever use these tracks;
  2. NJ Transit trains have electronic signs on them which say whcih train they are (i.e. "Bay Head" or "Dover" or "Trenton,:" etc.).This isn't always accurate, but is sufficiently accurate;
  3. if you get familiar with the crew assignments, you can watch them descend from the mezzanine level onto the platform, about 20 min prior to the track annoumcement.

In re: #2 above, if you know the Amtrak Train # (i.e. a LD train like "Silver" service (e.g. #91)), you might see that number on some of the cars, especially the View Liner cars, which might be "91nn" or something like that. . Otherwise, it's purely guess work (trial/error).

So, how do you find out which track you need to go to, in advance of its posting?
For me personally, they announce it in the Acela lounge about five minutes before it appears on the board. This is literally the only reason I strive for Select Plus, so I can be in the lounge and get to the track first.

I'm now wondering, how far before departure do LDs train usually come into the station?
Probably a function of the demands for available tracks, taking into account NJ Transit trains, etc. LIRR is pretty much independent on tracks 14 - 21. Most Amtrak trains "in waiting," I believe sit in Sunnyside. So those will probably be the ones that head for tracks 5-13, competing with NJ Transit (who might also be coming from Sunyside as well). The NJ transit trains that come in on Tracks 1-4 usually leave almost as soon as they arrive, since they can't get to Sunnyside. And if there's a delay, all bets are off...

I would guess that an Amtrak train coming from Sunnyside to NYP as an "originating" train (i.e. not a "through train") probably arrives on the assigned track no more than 1/2 hour before boarding (40 min. before departure). I don't think they can afford to let a train sit like that on an available track any longer than that, as other trains need those tracks.

All of the trains that include checked baggage that originate in NY need a little extra cushion to load baggage. The only through trains that get bags are the NER night trains.

Back