Boarding Pere Marquette in Chicago -BC cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could they be taking cars out of service for refurbishment? The Wolverines and PM were supposed to be re-done by now with new interiors, have not seen one yet so maybe that's in process and resulting in fewer available cars so suspended BC in the interim? I have no idea. Wild guess.

Actually, the PM is targeted for the new Siemens pax cars, but the conductors haven't heard a date yet. I'm not sure if that's why the rumored suspension of BC. I'll ask for an update when I'm on again in June, if I remember.

That’s what I’ll ask about when I ride in June. Last update I got is they failed a test or two, but that was last fall.

You're thinking the Nippon-Sharyo fiasco. From the latest post(ing) over on the new car thread the new Siemens cars appear to be about 18 months or so away.

No......the conductors on the Pere Marquette specifically said Siemens. They gave no timeline.

Metra Electric Rider just gave you the timeline.

The cars that failed the strength tests were the Nippon-Sharyo cars, which is the whole reason Siemens even has this order. It has been discussed at length in a multi-year-long thread at the top of this forum. The Siemens cars haven’t failed any significant tests, and in fact are already in service in Florida.

Trust me, a conductor would have no more inside information on equipment procurement plans than anyone on this forum following the developments closely, which are public information and updated regularly (and which some members then post in the aforementioned thread on this forum).

Metra Electric Rider just gave you the timeline.

The cars that failed the strength tests were the Nippon-Sharyo cars, which is the whole reason Siemens even has this order. It has been discussed at length in a multi-year-long thread at the top of this forum. The Siemens cars haven’t failed any significant tests, and in fact are already in service in Florida.

Trust me, a conductor would have no more inside information on equipment procurement plans than anyone on this forum following the developments closely, which are public information and updated regularly (and which some members then post in the aforementioned thread on this forum).

A conductor wouldn't have inside information? Interesting. I also learned that both conductors on the Pere Marquette that night were both wrong when they mentioned Siemens failing the tests. I guess I'm naive in believing a word that comes out of their mouths. Thanks for setting me straight.

A member of the on board staff once told me that train engineers where sealed in the loco from leaving LA to arrival at Seattle and it had been like that since 9/11.

Just because someone works on the railway don't assume they know everything especially anything outside their direct sphere of responsibility

On board operating staff are notorious (very often incorrect) rumor mongers when it comes to stuff that they are not directly involved in. Once the cars arrive and they get to start training on them, then onward they will have much more trustworthy information. Until then it is better to depend on the monthly report from the NGE Committee hosted by ASHTO on the status of new equipment development and production. One can look at other threads on this forum for pointers to those reports. They are regularly posted here.

Trogdor is correct in stating that the Siemens cars have not failed any tests and indeed a version of them has been certified for operation by FRA and they are in regular commercial service in Florida for Virgin Brightline. These are single level cars as opposed to the original bi-level cars that were ordered from Nippon Sharyo who failed to produce a prototype car that could pass the FRA buff strength test, upon which they withdrew from the contract. The Conductors apparently remember that and are incorrectly attributing that failure to the currently active order.

Last edited:
I can confirm. I saw it about six miles east of Holland station in downtown Zeeland (a new viewing point for me, as I was on my way home from Easter dinner at my sister's and stopped to view.)

Thanks both of you - getting on SJM-CHI this morning and glad at least this train has BC today as it's sold out due to the Easter holiday.

On board operating staff are notorious (very often incorrect) rumor mongers when it comes to stuff that they are not directly involved in. Once the cars arrive and they get to start training on them, then onward they will have much more trustworthy information. Until then it is better to depend on the monthly report from the NGE Committee hosted by ASHTO on the status of new equipment development and production. One can look at other threads on this forum for pointers to those reports. They are regularly posted here.

I will try to remember that. My apologies for being so naive to believe that their information is 100% correct because of their positions. It wasn't my intention to misinform. Also, my involvement in the forum is quite narrow and I don't get involved in subjects that get too technical to me. I like to employ the K.I.S.S. system on myself....keep it simple stupid. I'll refrain from this point on from sharing what I hear onboard and let the actual experts share the pertinent information. I'll just post what I actually see or experience and not what I hear, because I don't want to be considered one of those rumor mongers and have my credibility lessened.

Last edited:
Actually, there is nothing wrong at all about sharing what you heard on board. Reading between the lines sometimes the information turns out to be of value. So I would not discourage you or anyone from sharing what you heard. Just don't claim it to be the gospel truth. Heck I am careful to not claim as gospel truth necessarily even stuff that I hear from the big pooh-bahs either. Remember every one has an agenda, and everyone filters what they hear to match up better with what their own thinking is. It takes a lot of training and self control to avoid such natural tendencies.

Thank you for your participation here. It is valuable.

Last edited:
Just saw this on Facebook, posted by Amtrak.

"The Amtrak Pere Marquette has resumed selling business class effective immediately, and no temporary shut off is expected during the summer substitution period. The dinette is also available now for business class service."

Just saw this on Facebook, posted by Amtrak.

"The Amtrak Pere Marquette has resumed selling business class effective immediately, and no temporary shut off is expected during the summer substitution period. The dinette is also available now for business class service."
Very Cool! I went to the Amtrak FB page, but couldn't find that - where did you see it?
Wait...nevermind mind! found it on the Amtrak Michigan Services page - Interesting though, when I go to the Amtrak reservations page, I only see BC available until the end of June. Not there starting July 1st - fingers crossed it gets added back!

Last edited:
It gets confusing. No BC yesterday morning and conductor Jeff had no idea if last night’s would be added. Typical Amtrak, make an announcement about something and do it completely different. LOL

It gets confusing. No BC yesterday morning and conductor Jeff had no idea if last night’s would be added. Typical Amtrak, make an announcement about something and do it completely different. LOL

ugh...btw Jeff is a great guy isn't he? :)

He’s awesome.....almost as great as Smilin’ Dave! I spend most of my travel time talking to Jeff in the cafe. They both are Facebook friends of mine.
They both know me...my actual name is Wendy...love when they are on board but not sure where Dave is these days? Last I knew Milwaukee trains I think.

Back