Boarding Pere Marquette in Chicago -BC cancelled

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to answer your question about equipment. Yes, the Superliners have been swapped out for single level. That happened back around Easter. It’s hard to say or know when the Superliners will return but it’s a well known fact that they’re used during the winter because snow actually is an issue in the vestibules of the single level and we get plenty of lake effect on our side of the lake, making boarding and exiting the train dangerous. As to be consistent with inconsistencies of Amtrak, the switch doesn’t happen every spring.
How do the singles rank compared to the supers? Are the seats/leg room comparable?

Business Class on the Pere Marquette is now bookable for the foreseeable future. I did random test bookings all the way through July, 2020 and BC was available.

Business Class on the Pere Marquette is now bookable for the foreseeable future. I did random test bookings all the way through July, 2020 and BC was available.

YES - and I see it changes to the Superliner as you could book coach in both Upper and Lower levels. Not sure the exact change date but it's sometime mid September.

YES - and I see it changes to the Superliner as you could book coach in both Upper and Lower levels. Not sure the exact change date but it's sometime mid September.

September 5, from what I see.

I've upgraded the Pere Marquette portion of my trip to Red Wing, MN in mid-October from coach to BC now that it's available. I’m making another try at seeing our mutual friend, Dave. I haven’t forgotten about our earlier conversation to say hi to him from you.

Now all would be good if Amtrak would reinstate the connection from the Empire Builder to all Michigan Services trains so I wouldn’t have to stay an extra night in Milwaukee or Illinois. I’m staying in Glenview on my way back from Red Wing and taking the Hiawatha to Chicago the next day. A little inconvenience but I do have friends in that area and am having lunch with one of them.

Last edited:
Back