Boarding the Northbound Palmetto in Charleston - A Window Seat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
Next week I'm taking a little mini, nearly spur of the moment trip down Charleston, SC. The excuse is $87 worth of Travel Funds (from a flight I didn't end of taking) on SW Airlines that expire next Wednesday, the day I'm flying down and finding a flight for just $99 (Delta was non-stop for only $89 but I need to use up the voucher) to Savanna. The only reason for the trip is that I thought that these funds were like Amtrak's vouchers in terms of the expiration date indicating the day you had to book until, not complete travel using the funds by. Today, I tried to use them for a trip I'm taking in January out west that will require flying to and from (with intermediate Amtrak travel) and the hard reality hit home. I then realized I could pull off a 3 day trip next week, leaving on Wednesday and started searching for SWA destinations on the cheep that I hadn't been to and would be easy Amtrak rides back to New York.

Anyway, To return on Friday I'm taking the Palmetto to Washington DC, and using the multi-city trick to get 23 hours in DC before heading home on a Northeast Regional Saturday evening. I'm 68 points shy of renewing S+ so this will get me way over the perks for 2014 (I've been at this level since the end of October and AGR has already sent me to 'reminder' e-mails to keep traveling to renew my status). My original plan was to just do a quick points run.

My biggest fear for this trip (perhaps also getting stuck in a middle seat on SWA, I'm too cheep to pay for A-List Express) is getting stuck in an aisle seat for the entire ten hour CHS to WAS ride since the Atlantic Coast Routes are really the only ones left I haven't ridden and although I've heard the scenery isn't amazing I still want to enjoy the ride and not be frustrated/spend the entire ride in the cafe car.

Yes I do know this train is a toss-up between Amfleet-Is and IIs, A II would obviously be nice, but I've been in the I's for this long a ride and will survive.The big thing I'm confused about though is whether the Palmetto is chose-your-own seats adventure like Northeast Regionals and the other New York-based SD trains like the Pennsylvanian, and New York State Trains (and I could keep an eye open for someone getting off even if I board and every set of seats is taken) or will the attendant/conductor hand me a seat number in Charleston and force me to double up with another single that boarded in SAV or other points south (I've been scrounging the forums and finding info) for the entire ride up to Washington DC?

I would consider ($50 is the normal upgrade fee, guess I would sacrifice my NARP discount) using one of my two remaining March 1 expiration upgrade coupons to business class since I don't see any upcoming Acela Express Trips for myself, if this would guarantee me a window seat. I've ridden in the Amfleet I full BC cars when they've subbed for coach cars and find them underwelming, especially if I might end up in an Amfleet-II, if only you could upgrade via a coupon directly on the train (Could I call and pay the $50 fee after boarding?) if I don't my preferred seat and discover business class as empty.

If only I was doing this journey in reverse with the train first and flying home I would get priority boarding in DC (visting folks there is going to be part of this trip during my free layover) from the CA and not worry about it.

Advice from experiences?

Wow. Lots to consider. In my experience, there are few passengers that board in Savannah and Yemasee. The packing begins in Charleston. Personally, I'd think about the BC upgrade. If you just pay for it, would it not get you to S+ faster? Another thought is to just board in Charleston and see what you get. If you get your Amfleet II window seat, no problem. If not, see if you can upgrade while on the train, either with the conductor or with an agent. My guess is that they will put folks getting off before DC in the I's and folks getting off on the NEC in the II's.

What would it do to your schedule if you took the Silver Meteor? Scenery wise it would be more dynamic to have light during the NEC than in the Woodlands of the Carolinas and Virginia, but that's just my opinion. Getting a window seat may be harder, but they are all Amfleet II's. But then there is a sleeper. 115 mph on the NEC in a roomette is fun!

Your worst case though isn't so bad. So you get an aisle. The Palmetto has a cafe, and the Meteor adds a full dinner to escape to. Both trains should have sufficient attrition to get you by the window soon enough.

Oops. Just reread that you are only going to DC. Just read to one line short of the first paragraph. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely upgrade to BC. I board in Savannah, and they have the best seats blocked for groups of 3/4, even couples. I can get a window, but really only half a window as a single boarding at the beginning of the line. By Charleston, the attendants are handing out seat assignments, making sure all those singles have a seatmate. The only way to beat this is BC. Although the scenery may not be as good as on the CZ or SWC, if you like Americana, it's great. And this is a good time of year to travel. without the leaves on the trees, you can see more. CJ

I'm a measly 68 AGR points away from S+ so this trip will way over qualify me. If I upgrade to Business I'll pay the extra $12 to lose my NARP discount and just burn one of my two remaining upgrade coupons since I probably won't have any reasons to ride Acela again until next summer. The coupon will still save me $38. I'm also curious if the Charleston ticket agents will be totally clueless on processing my upgrade since the process is confusing to start with and even more confusing when your on a Multi-City Ticket.

Carolyn Jane, the Palmetto is crowded like this year round or just in peak season? I know (at least for airlines) right now, smack between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the least busy travel times of the year and I was just checking tomorrow's Palmetto and it's still at the low-bucket price (I've done the sleeper test) of $120 CHS-NYP, the through fare I'm paying (with the Regional since I'm due to arrive in DC at 7:57pm and will depart just 7 minutes shy of the 23 hours and 30 minutes maximum stopover on the ).

I guess if I go coach I could always try flashing my S+ card and seeing if the attendant would recognize this since their NEC based (this completely failed when I tried to flash my card for a window seat assignment on the Sunset Limited) or maybe discretely tip the attendant for a window seat.

I have found that if they are available, then just simply asking will generally get you a window seat. I've rarely had anyone turn me down unless there was just simply no room on the train.

I haven't had great luck doing that lately (mainly boarding in Chicago) with seat attendants and asking for windows. I'm not going to worry about upgrading now, I'll just make sure I have a coupon in my bag if I feel the need when I arrive at the station in Charleston.

Forgot to answer: The Silver Meteor isn't practical for me on this trip, its more expensive (all higher bucket), overnight and this will be my first trip to SC and through NC and I want to see those places in daylight (winter is also great with more to see without leaves on the trees). The timing of my layover in DC for an overnight and then full day of sightseeing is also absolutely perfect and a second reason I'm making this trip!

Finally if I do get my choice of seats, is the left or right side of the train more scenic than the other?

Go for business class - especially for a trip that long. Even if you do get a window seat in an AmII, it will be very crowded as you get into NC stations, especially if near a weekend. If the load is light they usually just close off one of the coaches and pack everyone into the remainder. On a recent trip the max load south of Washington was 33 in business class - you will get a window seat and have an open one next to you. While I prefer the old 2/1 seating club cars, it is nice to spread your stuff out on the seat next to you and Amtrak made the right decision to add business class capacity as I think the club car only seated 18. But don't look for any other amenities unless you count the one tiny soda. You're paying for the quiet and room to pick a seat and not have to worry about being hemmed in by a seatmate. The wifi usually works too.

I have to admit I only go as far as FAY, and then back, so I get shunted to the 'short trip' car unless I do BC. But that coach gets full. Coming back I ride coach, because by then, more people are getting off than on, so I get my choice of seats. I like the right side, but both are interesting. CJ

I really like the scenery between Charleston, SC and Washington, DC… I think that North Carolina and Virginia are beautiful along the ole ACL main line..

Then add the low country look of SC - it's really nice...

My favorite stretch is Potomac River to Wilson, NC.. Th open farmland of Northern NC and Southern Virginia is really wonderful. You will see some old tobacco barns, and some cotton fields. The ACL had some classic river crossings too. The James River crossing in Richmond is amazing… Like a tall Roman Viaduct..

Just made an 'informational' call on Upgrading from Coach to Business Class on Amtrak:

Dang, its not just as simple as handing over the $49 Accommodation Charge but you get repriced into the prevailing bucket at the time of purchase! (the bucket is still low even on my connection right now so I could do it).

Anyone have any experience on upgrading on-board? (Can I just hand $49 over to the conductor? and not worry about buckets that way I didn't want to ask the agent).

Thinking I'm going to rebook my current NARP rider into a regular Adult, and use one my of my two Upgrade Coupons that are going to Expire in March and I maybe one but definitely not two possible upcoming Acela trips.

(Unless someone here wants to pay for my upgrade and in return I will 'gift them' by sending them my Upgrade Coupon, I'm basically joking, I know the rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back