BofA/AGR Credit Card, a Year Later

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have your AGR credit card saved on your iPhone for Apple Pay: the artwork has been updated, so that it shows an AGR logo "card" instead of one with the BoA logo. You can delete and re-add the card in order to see the new artwork ASAP, although it's supposed to automatically change for everyone within a couple of months.

Agreed re having credit locked. Have had it happen a few times in past year when I thought it wasn't at all questionable. Didn't question $600 bill from a relatively cheap restaurant (dinner for 30-35 folks) but did question 3 $25 dollar posts the same day for different charities.
Hey, that's just teething problems with the wonderful new AI security system. Eventually, all credit card companies will know who and where you are, and will never pay fraudulent charges, and never deny legitimate charges, and will keep on collecting fees for what "will be" zero-risk transactions. :)

Believe me, and them. Really. :unsure:

More or less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually finding some value in the fee card's annual upgrade and companion coupons. Now that there are several LDTs with business class, the upgrade is useful beyond the NEC. That and the category bonuses make the annual fee at least break-even for me.

Now if only the companion coupon were valid for sleepers...
I actually found the companion coupon to be disappointing. It's not a true B1G1 offer, since you can't use it on Amtrak's lowest fare bucket.

So if you calculate the fee card's value based on what you think you're going to save using the companion coupon, you have to take into account that your free companion ticket is not actually free (assuming you would otherwise be booking low bucket).

I actually found the companion coupon to be disappointing. It's not a true B1G1 offer, since you can't use it on Amtrak's lowest fare bucket.

So if you calculate the fee card's value based on what you think you're going to save using the companion coupon, you have to take into account that your free companion ticket is not actually free (assuming you would otherwise be booking low bucket).
Good point, fairviewroad. When a saver fare is 20% below the lowest coupon-eligible (value) fare, then the companion coupon is effectively a "buy 1, get 75% off a companion" compared to two saver fares.
On the other hand, I'm 2 for 2 on applying upgrades to NER saver fares. If upgrades on saver fares work systemwide, then that's good "value" by me.

I value the companion and upgrade coupons at a totally subjective $30 each. Add TQPs and category bonuses, and the annual fee remains worthwhile to me.

Good point, fairviewroad. When a saver fare is 20% below the lowest coupon-eligible (value) fare, then the companion coupon is effectively a "buy 1, get 75% off a companion" compared to two saver fares.
On the other hand, I'm 2 for 2 on applying upgrades to NER saver fares. If upgrades on saver fares work systemwide, then that's good "value" by me.

I value the companion and upgrade coupons at a totally subjective $30 each. Add TQPs and category bonuses, and the annual fee remains worthwhile to me.
Using the coupon to upgrade to Acela Express First class between Baltimore and Boston is worth $140,

One shortcoming of the coupons is that they don't allow you to combine them, to, say, use a companion coupon and two upgrade coupons to let two people ride first class for the price of one Acela Business class.

The other shortcoming of the upgrade coupon is you can't redeem them until 48 hours before departure. I once called AGR to use the coupon at exactly 48 hours before departure, and their computer system wouldn't let me do it. I had to call back a few hours later. And if I can't use the first class upgrade, I'm going to cancel the Acela reservation and re-book on the Regional.

The other shortcoming of the upgrade coupon is you can't redeem them until 48 hours before departure. I once called AGR to use the coupon at exactly 48 hours before departure, and their computer system wouldn't let me do it. I had to call back a few hours later. And if I can't use the first class upgrade, I'm going to cancel the Acela reservation and re-book on the Regional.
At least in my case, the Mastercard upgrade cannot be confirmed until 12 hours prior to departure. It is possible that Select Plus and Select Executive members get 48-hour versions.

At least in my case, the Mastercard upgrade cannot be confirmed until 12 hours prior to departure. It is possible that Select Plus and Select Executive members get 48-hour versions.
S+ here. My MC upgrade is 12-hour too.

Back