Bombardier planning on selling rail division to Alstom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I wonder if the latter was so that the Canadian government would sign-off on the deal. 🤔

"Alstom now has stronger capabilities in European and North American markets, which represent approximately 75% of the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) accessible market.

Alstom’s American headquarters will be based in Montréal, Québec, which will lead all operations in the region, as well as establishing a centre of excellence for design and engineering that will build on Québec’s strengths in innovation and sustainable mobility."

The Canadian federal government today announced $180M for new Toronto streetcars with a "Made in Canada" requirement. In the subsequent press conference the mayor of Toronto confirmed that the contract would be filled by Alstom at Bombardier's former Thunder Bay, ON, plant.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-n...nt-to-build-60-streetcars-for-toronto-3771361
The Ontario government is also negotiating with Alstom for refurbishment of older Bombardier GO Train cars at the same facility, so it appears it will continue to operate for some time into the future.

I don't see why Alstom would want to gratuitously tick off the Canadian Government by insisting that orders from Canada be manufactured outside Canada. That would be the height of stupidity. They pretty much have a lock on all Canadian orders as long as they keep Thunder Bay going. Why rock the boat?

The Canadian federal government today announced $180M for new Toronto streetcars with a "Made in Canada" requirement. In the subsequent press conference the mayor of Toronto confirmed that the contract would be filled by Alstom at Bombardier's former Thunder Bay, ON, plant.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-n...nt-to-build-60-streetcars-for-toronto-3771361
The Ontario government is also negotiating with Alstom for refurbishment of older Bombardier GO Train cars at the same facility, so it appears it will continue to operate for some time into the future.
I'm sure Thunder Bay is glad to get the jobs!.
Things have really gotten slow in that part of the World on both sides of the Border!

Back