Bonus Points Now On Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received the email encouraging me to buy points, but with NO bonus. I guess they think I have enough points. :(
This offer must only be Targeted to Poor Folks who Don't live in Resort Areas! :p
Apparently, those of us who only received 30% offers are "middle of the nation" snow shovelers. :p If we would have kept our walks clean we might have received the 50% offer. :giggle: But honestly, we bought our last points early in 2013 too, so not sure what the computer is looking for to offer the big time offer. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
They must have forgotten about me, then, since according to my email receipts, the last time I purchased points was in late July of 2012, and I've never bought more than half the yearly maximum in one transaction (though I have bought 6000 base points in one day during a promo before, it was split 4000/2000 between two credit cards). Would be nice if I were targeted for any bonus points by the time my tax money gets in, though, since I'm planning on buying my limit this year to help me get out to California for my pre Gathering additional coverage :)

Didn't get an email. :( AGR Insider said he "fixed" my eamil problem. Maybe I'll check with him again.
Or maybe you're simply not targeted. Do you want him to "fix" that as well?
NO! It's just that I recently contacted him because I have gotten NO emails from AGR since I signed up back in 2011. He said my email address was flagged as being not valid and he unflagged it. I'm not asking for favoritism, Mr, Cynical.

I got the 30 percent E Mail. Why did some people get 50? However, it is still better than the last couple of AGR promotions when you could receive UP to 30 percent off when buying points, so this is not bad. I usually wait for double days and take an $11.05 round trip on the Keystones and get $400. With the bonus,this is slightly better.

I can get $200 points for riding ten miles during double days. I just rode FTL-WAS and I received 212 points. Of course, during double days it would be 424,but riding from ELT-HAR or LNC and return during double days gets me 400 points for $11 instead of $110.

I received the email encouraging me to buy points, but with NO bonus. I guess they think I have enough points. :(
This offer must only be Targeted to Poor Folks who Don't live in Resort Areas! :p

Well, that description applies to me on both counts. :lol:

I'm thinking it must have to do with when you last bought points, too. I usually buy mine right at the beginning of the new year, as I did last year. So it had been a year since I'd last bought points. More than makes up for some recent purchases I've made in the Points For Shopping portal that never did show up and wasn't worth pursuing the matter further.

I bought points last year for both me and Hubby ON THE SAME DAY (for me with my Chase card through my AGR account, for him with his Chase card through his AGR account). We used both our points on the same trip in December (a two-zone trip east bound, and a two-zone trip west bound 10 days later). I got the "10-30%" offer today, and he got the 50% offer. Go figure.

To the ones who received the 50% offer what is your current points total? Mine is 62,000 and havent received any of the offers. Just trying to figure out the criteria for the 50% offer.

Didn't get an email. :( AGR Insider said he "fixed" my eamil problem. Maybe I'll check with him again.
I have not gotten AGR emails for a couple of years either and they don't seem to be able to fix it. They have removed the email association from my Amtrak account and "fixed" some invalid flag too. I just check my AGR account every week or so to see if there is anything new.

I bought points last year for both me and Hubby ON THE SAME DAY (for me with my Chase card through my AGR account, for him with his Chase card through his AGR account). We used both our points on the same trip in December (a two-zone trip east bound, and a two-zone trip west bound 10 days later). I got the "10-30%" offer today, and he got the 50% offer. Go figure.

To the ones who received the 50% offer what is your current points total? Mine is 62,000 and havent received any of the offers. Just trying to figure out the criteria for the 50% offer.
I have 18,000+ points, and Hubby has 17,000+ points. Not much difference. And we got different offers. Do they have criteria, or is this random??

I recently redeemed an award and had 9,040 points remaining. With the 15,000 I now have 24,040 points :)
When I saw some folks got the 30% offer and some folks got no offer at all, I jumped on the 50% offer in case AGR changed their minds. :lol:

I forgot I bought points last year, so now I'm really confused about the timing and who they're targeting.

My account: 6500

Bought points: September 2013 (and then used them to book a roomette right away)

50% offer

Brent's account: 15,000-ish points

Bought points: December 2013

No offer

Brent only rides Amtrak to/from ABQ each year and then maybe one round-trip to Chicago, so I'm surprised they gave me the bonus and not him. Maybe it's based on points balance?

I would like to take a moment to advise folks to reconsider posting specific points balances. We live in an era when too much information shared online can be detrimental to your account. You may be surprised what bored people on the internet are capable of, but once you find out the hard way you'll never forget it.

I would like to take a moment to advise folks to reconsider posting specific points balances. We live in an era when too much information shared online can be detrimental to your account. You may be surprised what bored people on the internet are capable of, but once you find out the hard way you'll never forget it.
I agree.

I don't think 62,000, 6500 & 15,000sih are very specific.

I'm just trying to figure out who they are targeting. Its not random. Maybe low points balance, high points balance. Infrequent card users or very frequent card users. I have 62K and never carry a balance so just trying to figure out how I can get in that 50% email loop.

I don't think 62,000, 6500 & 15,000sih are very specific.
Maybe that's because the post has already been edited?

I'm just trying to figure out who they are targeting. Its not random. Maybe low points balance, high points balance. Infrequent card users or very frequent card users. I have 62K and never carry a balance so just trying to figure out how I can get in that 50% email loop.
As someone who has researched and participated in the points game for several years I doubt we'll be able to figure out the algorithm from a sample size this small. Even if we did figure it out what would you do with that information? While you're busy chasing the previous algorithm Amtrak will be busy creating a new one. Some of the qualifying criteria are likely to be historical or otherwise unchangeable by the account holder anyhow.

Although I do agree, even if someone said 56,137 points, it wouldn't really matter. Unless you know the person's AGR account number and password (if redeeming online) or the person'a real full name, AGR account number, full address, etc... (if redeeming over the phone), it won't do much good. You can't just say "I've got 87,459 AGR points and I want to redeem 75,000 points!"

I have between 16,127 and 16,129 points. I was sent an email with NO offer. If the offer is geographic, I wonder if in this day and age of eticketing and emarketing if it really matters what physical address I have on file. Last time I got anything in the mail was a companion voucher when I joined and nothing since.

Interestingly. It seems like the Midwest gets a good chunk of incentives - from better fares to begin with to frequent weekly specials. And now perhaps AGR?

This may sound like sour grapes, but I was under the impression that it is OK to target a demographic group in marketing, but if others got wind of it, they could take advantage. But then again, there are advertised senior rates and I don't get to qualify for those. However, there are published rules for those rates. I can't determine if there are published or unpublished rules on AGR bonus points.

Sounds like it could spawn one those postcards that says you are included in a class action lawsuit and entitled to your share of $15 Bil, your cut being $21.14.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the Android Amtrak Forums mobile app

I bought 15 000 points with the bonus in November, and I got the email a few days ago offering me a 50% bonus once again. I haven't redeemed any points yet though, maybe that's why?

Back