Booking a bedroom suite

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife, two teenage children, and I are considering taking the Crescent, roundtrip from New Orleans to New York next summer. I was wondering, how do you book a bedroom suite on amtrak.com? I can book two bedrooms, but don't see an option for the suite. I really want us to be able to stay together on the train.

I'm pretty sure there is no way 2 adjacent bedrooms can be opened into one, but I would book by phone and get 2 adjoining bedrooms. That way you're only a few feet apart and yet have the ability for quiet time.

My wife, two teenage children, and I are considering taking the Crescent, roundtrip from New Orleans to New York next summer. I was wondering, how do you book a bedroom suite on amtrak.com? I can book two bedrooms, but don't see an option for the suite. I really want us to be able to stay together on the train.
Welcome!

A bedroom suite is actually Bedroom B & C combined (removing the removable wall) and Bedroom D & E. If you are not assigned B & C or D & E (in the same car), I would call up Amtrak immediately, and ask the agent to assign those combinations. Or you could just call and book through an agent on the phone - and skip booking online!

Cajun,

Pay no attention to Olympian! <grin>

You can, indeed, book a bedroom suite, and there IS a wall that slides open to make a large room, but you have to make the booking over the phone, as there is no way to pick specific rooms through the online booking tool. Keep in mind there is no subsidized/reduced cost for booking a suite; you'll simply pay the fare for two individual deluxe sleepers, and keep in mind that one room may be more expensive than the other (although you may be able to reason with the agent and get a manager to override so that both rooms are at the cheaper rate of the two).

That said, a deluxe sleeper suite is a wonderful thing. I had the pleasure of sharing one with three high school and college buddies on a trip on the Coast Starlight last year. Our one rule was the bathrooms in the rooms were for #1 and showering only. Anything else was a downstairs bathroom activity. ;)

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome!

A bedroom suite is actually Bedroom B & C combined (removing the removable wall) and Bedroom D & E. If you are not assigned B & C or D & E (in the same car), I would call up Amtrak immediately, and ask the agent to assign those combinations. Or you could just call and book through an agent on the phone - and skip booking online!
ACK! You beat me to it!

Minor addition: on a Viewliner (single level train), it's bedrooms A and B (a bit obvious, given there are no other deluxe sleepers, not counting the handicapped room).

-Rafi

Actually, bedrooms B & C and D & E do have doors that can be slid open to make one large "suite".

You can do one of two things, book online and hope they give you one of these pairs. If not, you can call and hopefully the agent will swith them for you.

Or, you can call to begin with and tell them you want one of these two pairs.

Sometimes room prices get involved and it makes it tricky for them to pick particular rooms so if the person you talk to is not agreeable, end the call and call back to talk with someone else.

Actually, bedrooms B & C and D & E do have doors that can be slid open to make one large "suite".
You can do one of two things, book online and hope they give you one of these pairs. If not, you can call and hopefully the agent will swith them for you.

Or, you can call to begin with and tell them you want one of these two pairs.

Sometimes room prices get involved and it makes it tricky for them to pick particular rooms so if the person you talk to is not agreeable, end the call and call back to talk with someone else.
Okay, looks like we all replied at the same time!

ACK! You beat me to it!
But I'm #1! Nah nah! :lol:
Yes you were first, but then your answer was wrong. :p

There are no C, D, and E rooms in a Viewliner sleeping car.

To Cajun_liner,

As other's have mentioned, the best thing is to either call or visit an Amtrak station ASAP and have them book you two adjoining rooms in one car. Do it quickly as with only 4 bedrooms, 2 in each of the 2 sleepers assigned to the Crescent, it can be hard to get two in the same car.

Then once on board, just ask your attendant to open the connecting door between the two rooms. You can even mention it to him/her as you board that you want that door opened. It does require a key, so you'll need the attendant to do it.

ACK! You beat me to it!
But I'm #1! Nah nah! :lol:
Yes you were first, but then your answer was wrong. :p

There are no C, D, and E rooms in a Viewliner sleeping car.

To Cajun_liner,

As other's have mentioned, the best thing is to either call or visit an Amtrak station ASAP and have them book you two adjoining rooms in one car. Do it quickly as with only 4 bedrooms, 2 in each of the 2 sleepers assigned to the Crescent, it can be hard to get two in the same car.

Then once on board, just ask your attendant to open the connecting door between the two rooms. You can even mention it to him/her as you board that you want that door opened. It does require a key, so you'll need the attendant to do it.
From what I've read, the A bedroom is somewhat reduced in size at one corner. How much reduction in size & price?

I'm assuming this is the reason it isn't a part of Deluxe?

From what I've read, the A bedroom is somewhat reduced in size at one corner. How much reduction in size & price?I'm assuming this is the reason it isn't a part of Deluxe?
I've found the A room to be slightly more cramped, as the corner is cut off to allow passage in the corridor. I think the bath/sink/shower unit is slightly closer to the window because of this.

I have asked to be swapped into Room A, when I was initially assigned Room E, and found that it was in a higher bucket than E. I tried it on an AGR reservation, as they can reserve any room, regardless of bucket.

So, I believe it is considered a "Deluxe" room. Being the odd room (not half of a pair), and the fact that the bed is against Room B and it's bed, it wouldn't be part of a suite.

HTH

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've read, the A bedroom is somewhat reduced in size at one corner. How much reduction in size & price?I'm assuming this is the reason it isn't a part of Deluxe?
The A bedroom is slightly smaller in a Superliner car. However, in the case of this thread we are talking about a Viewliner sleeping car. There is no difference in size between the A room and the B room in a Viewliner.

With regard to Deluxe, all Bedrooms used to be called Deluxe Bedrooms. All roomettes used to be called Economy rooms.

Putting two Bedrooms or Deluxe Bedrooms, depending on which name you prefer, creates a suite. Used to be called a Deluxe Suite back when they were Deluxe Bedrooms, now it's usually just called a Bedroom Suite. In a Viewliner since there are only two Bedrooms, there can only be one Suite using the A & B rooms. On a Superliner, with 5 Bedrooms available, a choice had to be made as to which rooms had the connecting door. Between the slightly smaller size of the A room, coupled with the fact that the A room's couch is on the wall that the door would need to be in, they choose to make the Suites out of the B & C rooms, as well as the D & E rooms.

I hope that makes sense, but please don't hesitate to ask if I didn't answer all of your questons.

The A bedroom is slightly smaller in a Superliner car. However, in the case of this thread we are talking about a Viewliner sleeping car. There is no difference in size between the A room and the B room in a Viewliner.

With regard to Deluxe, all Bedrooms used to be called Deluxe Bedrooms. All roomettes used to be called Economy rooms.

Putting two Bedrooms or Deluxe Bedrooms, depending on which name you prefer, creates a suite. Used to be called a Deluxe Suite back when they were Deluxe Bedrooms, now it's usually just called a Bedroom Suite. In a Viewliner since there are only two Bedrooms, there can only be one Suite using the A & B rooms. On a Superliner, with 5 Bedrooms available, a choice had to be made as to which rooms had the connecting door. Between the slightly smaller size of the A room, coupled with the fact that the A room's couch is on the wall that the door would need to be in, they choose to make the Suites out of the B & C rooms, as well as the D & E rooms.

I hope that makes sense, but please don't hesitate to ask if I didn't answer all of your questons.
Ya See,

I just thought I knew everything!!!

Thanx Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back