Booking Amtrak tickets from abroad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoAmtrak

Train Attendant
I have a question which might fit in this thread.

How does purchasing an Amtrak ticket work? I read there needs to be a reservation first, and then I pay with a credit card. Is that correct? Then, are tickets sent via e-mail to me, or directly at my home?

I found this website where I can look at prices and schedules: Wanderu: Search & Compare Cheap Bus and Train Tickets

Does anybody know this website? I just put a example on it and I'm able to tip another country than the US here: Wanderu: Search & Compare Cheap Bus and Train Tickets

If I would like to reserve and purchase train trickets from abroad, is that possible? Or do I first have to arrive at an American address, for example in a hotel in the US that they send the ticket to me there?

I wasn't able to use Amtrak yet as I haven't visited the US yet, but I would like to not far in the future. I noticed advices that it is wise to purchase Amtrak tickets long in advance because they are quickly sold out. That's why I have those questions in mind.

Thank you for advice!

Last edited:
They email you a pdf file that is your ticket. It also has on it a QR code which you can put on your cell phone and just show the conductor. And if all else fails, write down your reservation number. The conductor can look it up on his iPhone.

No need to pick up physical tickets.

The comments above are how we do it in the US. It might be different for someone out of the country. I tagged two of our esteem overseas members for their input.

Last edited:
How valid is the “Only one room left” etc. message. I’ve seen it and then booked two rooms anyway so I think it’s marketing…but is it?

It is very easy to book tickets from abroad, but make sure you use Amtrak.com to book.
Simply fill in your start and destination, date required, and pay by card. You have to select your country phone prefix from drop down list, and check the mask and terms of purchase, etc.
Your ticket is emailed to you. I always print mine out on paper.
There is often more than one route option displayed, so check that out with care before purchase.
The arrangement for RAIL PASS train travel is different, do say if that info is what you seek...?

I (from the Netherlands) book my Amtrak tickets directly on amtrak.com, too.
You'll get one e-mail; it's your receipt with your ticket attached.
The e-mail says:
"
  1. Retain this receipt for your records.
  2. Print the attached eTicket and carry during your trip.
"
So, I too have that ticket printed on paper with me, just in case. But I guess a 'printscreen' is a print also...? 🤔 😉

Forget about getting an Amtrak ticket through Wadneru. Get them directly from Amtrak here: Amtrak Tickets, Schedules and Train Routes

If you're interested in purchasing tickets for any sleeping accommodations be advised each of the three types has five different fares and the cheapest is usually about half the cost of the most expensive. Each train also has different prices. And which price is up for sale on any given day cannot be predicted.

Because of that and if there is any flexibility in your dates of travel, it pays to "shop" for the lowest (lower) fares. Current fares for the entire route of any long distance train can be found here in Post #84 ... Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

A map showing the Amtrak routes and stations can be seen by clicking on DESTINATIONS of the Amtrak home page and then SEE ALL ROUTES on the next page.

Once you decide when and when you want to go, we're available to provide any assistance you may need.

It is very easy to book tickets from abroad, but make sure you use Amtrak.com to book.
Simply fill in your start and destination, date required, and pay by card. You have to select your country phone prefix from drop down list, and check the mask and terms of purchase, etc.
Your ticket is emailed to you. I always print mine out on paper.
There is often more than one route option displayed, so check that out with care before purchase.
The arrangement for RAIL PASS train travel is different, do say if that info is what you seek...?
Thank you for your information. I was looking for that. I wonder if that country phone prefix works. Arrangements with RAIL PASS I haven't looked at, at the moment. But I will consider it when I plan my trip to the US.

Thank you PeeweeTM and Niemi for your information also! Generally, when should I start booking my trips? A month before I actually have my trip, or better half a year before?

Amtrak train fares rise as more seats are sold, so it is better to book early. Sometimes prices drop if seat sales are less than expected. You can change to the lower price by contacting Amtrak.
Are you booking coach seats, or thinking of sleeping compartments?

I have to differ to the 2 other European replies above.

The last 3 sets of Amtrak tickets I bought had to be bought by calling Amtrak in the USA and paying with a card via the Reservation Agent. Previously it was as the others have said, book and pay online via the ticket purchase page using a credit card.

These last 3 purchases were made at 3 different dates spreadout during 2021-2022, maybe the system has changed recently? I did ask one agent why using a phone Reservation Agent was the only way of purchasing tickets from outside the country but they didn't know that was the case.

I made all purchses while located in France, maybe it is different from the UK and the Netherlands?

The ticket purchase page on the Amtrak site will operate with all required information up until the point of paying for the ticket, at that point the 'PAY' button is shown but not live.

Last edited:
I have to differ to the 2 other European replies above.

The last 3 sets of Amtrak tickets I bought had to be bought by calling Amtrak in the USA and paying with a card via the Reservation Agent. Previously it was as the others have said, book and pay online via the ticket purchase page using a credit card.

These last 3 purchases were made at 3 different dates spreadout during 2021-2022, maybe the system has changed recently? I did ask one agent why using a phone Reservation Agent was the only way of purchasing tickets from outside the country but they didn't know that was the case.

I made all purchses while located in France, maybe it is different from the UK and the Netherlands?

The ticket purchase page on the Amtrak site will operate with all required information up until the point of paying for the ticket, at that point the 'PAY' button is shown but not live.
I can confirm v v's problems - I was booking from the UK and could not complete my booking using Amtrak.com (would not allow booking to continue beyond the credit card input stage).

However I was able to complete exactly the same booking (with the same inputs) by using the Amtrak App on my iPad.

(My emailed query to customer services never resulted in a resolution, just a response that the problem would be referred to IT).

Hello. I don't know if anyone will help me there but I've just tried to book a train with the Amtrak app from France, paying with Paypal. From what I understand, the reservation didn't get through but the payment did. I got an email of confirmation from Paypal. Does this mean that I will lose my money since I never got any confirmation from Amtrak and I couldn't end the reservation? Thanks in advance to anyone who will help me. Have a nice day. Marysa

Hello. I don't know if anyone will help me there but I've just tried to book a train with the Amtrak app from France, paying with Paypal. From what I understand, the reservation didn't get through but the payment did. I got an email of confirmation from Paypal. Does this mean that I will lose my money since I never got any confirmation from Amtrak and I couldn't end the reservation? Thanks in advance to anyone who will help me. Have a nice day. Marysa

Marysa, I think that because you have used PayPal your money is protected as they are duty bound to ensure the transaction is completed correctly.

As a solution phone Amtrak Customer Services or Customer Realations? and explain the situation, ask them to check your reservation details and that PayPal are about to make payment without you getting any confirmation from Amtrak.

From experience the agents have always been helpful and most very knowledgeable, but if you do get an agent who is not sure ask to be transferred to someone who will be able to help.

As a thought. PayPal often make contact about an online purchase before you recieve any confirmation from the seller of the product, maybe this case is the same?

I have found phoning from France around either 1pm or 1-2am are the best times.

Bon chance, I'm sure your money is fully protected.

Reservations & Customer Service

Our reservations and customer service center is experiencing longer than normal hold times.

The only way to contact Customer Relations, which is the problem-solving department, is to phone Customer Service and ask for Customer Relations. So you might as well try talking to Customer Service first.

Back