Booking an Accessible Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Well, I’m booked on The Star in May 2023. Now my parents want to tag along; they had a blast on the Coast Starlight last year when we went from Seattle to Los Angeles. I’ve already booked myself a Roomette for the trip from Philadelphia to Miami. I want them to have their own potty and shower. Both are senior citizens and mom has a physical handicap. How do I go about booking an Accessible Bedroom with AGR points or cash? I don’t want them in a Roomette for 30 hours as my dad is 6’ 2” tall. Suggestions?

Well, I’m booked on The Star in May 2023. Now my parents want to tag along; they had a blast on the Coast Starlight last year when we went from Seattle to Los Angeles. I’ve already booked myself a Roomette for the trip from Philadelphia to Miami. I want them to have their own potty and shower. Both are senior citizens and mom has a physical handicap. How do I go about booking an Accessible Bedroom with AGR points or cash? I don’t want them in a Roomette for 30 hours as my dad is 6’ 2” tall. Suggestions?
You can only book an accessible room this far out if one of them uses a wheelchair.

You can only book an accessible room this far out if one of them uses a wheelchair.
I might just book them a regular Bedroom for $1400. What is the penalty should we cancel? I protected my Roomette with the Allianz just in case…

My dad is 74 inches tall. My mom has had double knee replacements but does not use a wheelchair. Both fit comfortably in a Superliner Bedroom. I highly doubt they’d be comfortable at all in a Roomette.

I don't think the Accessible Bedroom is restricted to just people who need to use a wheelchair, I am pretty sure they are available to anyone who is mobility impaired within the standard booking window, up to 11 months out. If memory serves, they are offered at the prevailing roomette accommodation charge.

In order to book in advance, either call Amtrak or use the website by selecting the "discount" drop down under "travelers" and select "passenger with disablity" After going through Accessible Services menu (type of disability, need assistance at station, etc), it should display any open accessible rooms available in inventory.

Historically, open accessible rooms were released to general inventory 2 weeks before departure at the Bedroom accommodation charge and could be booked by anyone.

I might just book them a regular Bedroom for $1400. What is the penalty should we cancel? I protected my Roomette with the Allianz just in case…
I don't think Allianz (or any other travel insurance) will cover if you cancel on your own unless you got CFAR (cancel for any reason).
Check the policy.

I don't think the Accessible Bedroom is restricted to just people who need to use a wheelchair, I am pretty sure they are available to anyone who is mobility impaired within the standard booking window, up to 11 months out. If memory serves, they are offered at the prevailing roomette accommodation charge.

In order to book in advance, either call Amtrak or use the website by selecting the "discount" drop down under "travelers" and select "passenger with disablity" After going through Accessible Services menu (type of disability, need assistance at station, etc), it should display any open accessible rooms available in inventory.

Historically, open accessible rooms were released to general inventory 2 weeks before departure at the Bedroom accommodation charge and could be booked by anyone.
I asked about the accessible room when I booked my upcoming trip and was told I couldn't reserve it unless I used a mobility aide. I haven't seen that explicitly stated anywhere though, so who knows if the agent was correct. She was helpful about making notes about me requiring assistance though.

I wonder if you booked it and then didn't show up with a mobility aide, would they deny you boarding even if you had some other visible disability?

I asked about the accessible room when I booked my upcoming trip and was told I couldn't reserve it unless I used a mobility aide. I haven't seen that explicitly stated anywhere though, so who knows if the agent was correct. She was helpful about making notes about me requiring assistance though.

I wonder if you booked it and then didn't show up with a mobility aide, would they deny you boarding even if you had some other visible disability?
The agent was would seem to be correct, but it appears "mobility aid" isn't restricted to wheelchairs. A cane, crutch or walker appears to qualify. The only place I've seen it defined is in the dialog you get when you select "Passenger with disability" and it includes canes. Bring a cane, just in case.
MobilityAid.png

I seriously doubt they would deboard you even if you forgot the cane if you clearly had visible issues.

Last edited:

It is here:

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-boo...vations-for-passengers-with-a-disability.html
"Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device."​

Note that it explicitly says a wheeled mobility device, which includes wheelchairs, power chairs, and mobility scooters.

Navigation on the website is:
Experience > Before You Go > Accessible Travel Services > Making Reservations for Passengers with a Disability > Who May Reserve Accessible Room Accommodations

Last edited:
It is here:

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-boo...vations-for-passengers-with-a-disability.html
"Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers with a disability who travel with a wheeled mobility device."​

Note that it explicitly says a wheeled mobility device, which includes wheelchairs, power chairs, and mobility scooters.

Navigation on the website is:
Experience > Before You Go > Accessible Travel Services > Making Reservations for Passengers with a Disability > Who May Reserve Accessible Room Accommodations
I must have been reading too quickly when I originally saw that page (wouldn't be the first time). I completely missed the note about needing to have wheels.

And just to be clear, I wouldn't personally try to skirt the rules, it was more of a hypothetical question. I wouldn't dream of depriving another disabled person of the access they need.

Perhaps the date I chose to test was sold out of accessible rooms, but when I chose the “cane” option, the accessible room was not shown.
As someone else shows, you need a wheeled mobility device to book it. The other options are for the discount & if you need assistance at the stations.

Would a regular bedroom, with the disability discount work for them? That would not require wheeled mobility.
Just so everyone knows, the disability discount only applies to the rail fare. It does not reduce the room cost.
Nor does it apply to saver fares.

Should I call the dedicated AGR number or the Amtrak Reservation Toll Free Number to book this? Not sure if it makes a difference, but the wait times might be long given the derailment recently.

I called AGR, and spoke to the very helpful agent. I explained my mother is legitimately disabled with arthritis and was able to get my parents the accessible bedroom! I was able to redeem my points for them. Thank you to all who helped for your tips!

I have no disability but heard that I could book this room if its available. I like the size, it's cheaper than a bedroom on my route and date, and it has windows on both sides of the train for good views. Does anyone know how I would proceed to book this room?

It is released for sale to all if it is not booked by a passenger meeting its regular criteria. I think it is 14 days out but am not 100% sure. If it isn't available as on online booking, call.

It is released for sale to all if it is not booked by a passenger meeting its regular criteria. I think it is 14 days out but am not 100% sure. If it isn't available as on online booking, call.
If it's available within 14 days of travel, it will show as an option.

Back