Booking in advance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanson

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
My wife and I already know some of our travel dates for 2023. I know that Amtrak opens reservations 11 months in advance.

My question is: does the 11 months go day by day, or is everything for a particular month available on the first of the month?

As far as I know, the bookings don't always open with the lowest fares 11 months in advance?

Advice seems to be to book your tickets when they become available, but to check back with Amtrak frequently to see if lower fares pop up as time passes.
You are correct. General introduction of inventory at low bucket 11 months out has been gone for several years now as Amtrak has gotten more sophisticated in their yield management.

It doesn't hurt to look at prices at 11 months out, but do not be surprised if they are in the highest 2 buckets for sleepers, especially in peak travel periods when initially released. If demand doesn't develop, they will reallocate some inventory into lower buckets, however my spot checking seems to indicate they usually do not touch anything for at least 4 to 5 months after initial inventory release at 11 months.

My advice is not to book at 11 months, but rather monitor prices for a planned trip, have a flexible travel window and grab the first reasonable fare that shows up in your travel window (middle bucket for peak periods, lower for off peak). Then construct the rest of your trip around those lower fare dates.

Finally, everything I just said applies to sleepers only. Coach fares do seem to open at low bucket.

Last edited:
You are correct. General introduction of inventory at low bucket 11 months out has been gone for several years now as Amtrak has gotten more sophisticated in their yield management.

It doesn't hurt to look at prices at 11 months out, but do not be surprised if they are in the highest 2 buckets for sleepers, especially in peak travel periods when initially released. If demand doesn't develop, they will reallocate some inventory into lower buckets, however my spot checking seems to indicate they usually do not touch anything for at least 4 to 5 months after initial inventory release at 11 months.

My advice is not to book at 11 months, but rather monitor prices for a planned trip, have a flexible travel window and grab the first reasonable fare that shows up in your travel window (middle bucket for peak periods, lower for off peak). Then construct the rest of your trip around those lower fare dates.

Finally, everything I just said applies to sleepers only. Coach fares do seem to open at low bucket.
3 to 6 months out usually gets you low buckets. As mentioned,the further out you book the lower the price is history. I mentioned in an earlier post there are $623 roomettes available in the fall on the SW Chief and Sunset/Eagle from Chi to LAX and similar pricing on the Empire Builder from Chi to Sea or Pdx. You have to manualy hunt for those fares.

Back