Booking online on Amtrak website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve noticed when you have your password saved (by the browser - so you don’t have to type it in each time), Amtrak won’t let you sign in. (And will take you to the ‘forgot password’ page).

When I manually type in my credentials it’ll log me in. This may or may not be the case for you.

I’ve noticed when you have your password saved (by the browser - so you don’t have to type it in each time), Amtrak won’t let you sign in. (And will take you to the ‘forgot password’ page).

When I manually type in my credentials it’ll log me in. This may or may not be the case for you.
That problem is apparently specific to some platform/browser combination. I have not faced that probloem with Firefox or Chrome on Windoz

That problem is apparently specific to some platform/browser combination. I have not faced that probloem with Firefox or Chrome on Windoz
Works OK for me on MS Edge also. But I've seen it on other websites; usually deleting and manually typing the last character of the password fixes it. It can also vary depending on what screen you try to login from.

I use Brave and the saved password works for me both on my computer and my phone.

I was trying to book 3 separate journeys that were not directly connected, tried a number of times to make the bookings online over several days with several computers but the same problems persisted. Please feel free to use my examples if you wish. But as you when you used a different booking method to their online pages, it was easy once we phoned reservations.

Unless customers explain to them what is going wrong they wont know, good luck.
I also have been having trouble. My issue is this. When I try to check how many points it will cost me for any bedroom on the particular route I want to take, the site will display only the points needed for the cheapest bedroom. If I click the deluxe bedroom or the Family bedroom, it displays 0 points. I even tried the months of January through May of 2023 and it is the same.

I do not want to call Amtrak because I am just in the early stages of planning a partial round the country trip that will include 7 different train routes. Is there any other way of pulling up the information I need or booking Amtrak bedrooms aside from the official Amtrak site which isn't properly working or calling Amtrak? By the way, I did try 2 different browsers and both act the same.

Since the reports of cancelations of tickets and waiting until last minute to notify the customers the last few weeks, I went to logon to Amtrak to check my trips this past weekend. The password didn’t seem to work, so I did the procedure to reset it. First trying to send the verification code with email with no immediate effect, then using the text message (worked), reset password, verified the roomettes and bedrooms still seem to be in place.

Now, several days later I get the Code in the email ⏰😽

Since the reports of cancelations of tickets and waiting until last minute to notify the customers the last few weeks, I went to logon to Amtrak to check my trips this past weekend. The password didn’t seem to work, so I did the procedure to reset it. First trying to send the verification code with email with no immediate effect, then using the text message (worked), reset password, verified the roomettes and bedrooms still seem to be in place.

Now, several days later I get the Code in the email ⏰😽
It's Summer in Washington, so possibly Amtrak IT employees have gone into Hibernation???🤪

I am unable to login into either the app or the website. It just redirects itself and doesn't actually log me in on either one. Tried on both FireFox and Edge. Is it that hard for them to get a simple login working?

I have attempted 6 times to book reservations online this evening but the 'pay/complete' button isn't live. Is there a problem with the website at the moment?
I wish DBAHN could take over the AMTRAK booking site. Amtrak has a much less complicated system ( trains and destinations ) than DBAHN, so they could fix all our problems in less than six months!!

FWIW, the back end (ARROW) despite being ancient is actually pretty reliable. The problem is the new front end website created by an incompetent who was all about style over substance. Apparently the incompetent resigned suddenly late last year, but I'm sure the replacements are barely figuring out what to do by now.

It's Summer in Washington, so possibly Amtrak IT employees have gone into Hibernation???🤪

Fun fact: The summer counterpart of hibernation is "estivation." That's when animals go into a period of dormancy during hot weather. Just think of how many new words we've learned since we took our SATs, um...I won't say how many decades ago.

Trying to book a round trip on the Wolverine with points, but it's saying that I can't book business with points for train 353.
1656626432069.png
1656626451092.png

That doesn't look like a website issue, that looks like business is either sold out or they've capped the number of seats available for points redemption. What does switching back to cash say?
You're right, business is sold out. Darn.

San Joaquin train 710 has now been extended all the way to Chicago. View attachment 28654

What it actually showing is a routing with multiple trains.
I've run into this feature a number of times from the Pacific Northwest. In this case, however, it looks like the San Francisco Chief! I know that's an error that I can ignore, but it just adds to the burden for newcomers.

I'm booked on a second level roomette on the SWC, and called to ask for first level instead because of mobility issues. Twice I've been told that it's completely sold out. I checked online today and it says it's not. So I called again and explained the situation. The man I spoke with was very nice and spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what's wrong, but ultimately the answer was "there must be a website glitch," because on his end, the manifest shows all rooms booked.

I asked about speaking with someone higher up but was denied because "they wouldn't be able to do anything different." And when I asked about reporting this glitch to someone who could fix it, I was told that they do have a help desk, but it's closed for the day. So frustrating! Again, the guy was very polite, but I find the whole thing utterly maddening. Not just because I can't switch, but because someone is probably going to book a roomette that doesn't exist and Amtrak doesn't seem to be to bothered about that.

I'm booked on a second level roomette on the SWC, and called to ask for first level instead because of mobility issues. Twice I've been told that it's completely sold out. I checked online today and it says it's not. So I called again and explained the situation. The man I spoke with was very nice and spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what's wrong, but ultimately the answer was "there must be a website glitch," because on his end, the manifest shows all rooms booked.

I asked about speaking with someone higher up but was denied because "they wouldn't be able to do anything different." And when I asked about reporting this glitch to someone who could fix it, I was told that they do have a help desk, but it's closed for the day. So frustrating! Again, the guy was very polite, but I find the whole thing utterly maddening. Not just because I can't switch, but because someone is probably going to book a roomette that doesn't exist and Amtrak doesn't seem to be to bothered about that.
As far as I can tell, Amtrak.com doesn't make a distinction between upper level roomettes and lower level roomettes either in the "simplified" one-way and round-trip options or in Multi-City, and it does not display available roomette numbers (11-14 downstairs). The site shows upper versus lower level coach seating but not upper level versus lower level roomettes. How did you find out roomettes 11-14 were available on the website? I think a lot of us here would like to know how to do that.

As far as I can tell, Amtrak.com doesn't make a distinction between upper level roomettes and lower level roomettes either in the "simplified" one-way and round-trip options or in Multi-City, and it does not display available roomette numbers (11-14 downstairs). The site shows upper versus lower level coach seating but not upper level versus lower level roomettes. How did you find out roomettes 11-14 were available on the website? I think a lot of us here would like to know how to do that.
It didn't show which level, just that a roomette was indeed available. However the guy on the phone said all rooms were sold out, even bedroom, family, and accessible.

It didn't show which level, just that a roomette was indeed available. However the guy on the phone said all rooms were sold out, even bedroom, family, and accessible.
Ah, that clears it up. For future reference, you can choose your roomettes if you reserve with an agent, as long as they are a competent agent, which you can't do on the website (one of its many shortcomings). If they can't, try another agent. I've never encountered an AGR agent that couldn't do it, btw.

I am a bit picky about roomette location myself (I dislike downstairs and the transdorm), and only use the website for pricing. When it comes time to book, I always call and have them tell me the roomette the system has chosen and work with them to try to get one I prefer before booking (I also confirm the same price I got on the website). In your case, I'd recommend always calling, and asking for roomettes 11-14 in Superliners.

I thought I'd try booking a sleeper from Denver to Chicago. Easier said than done. The cost was $1312, which was okay. On the payment page I entered everything, checked the boxes, etc., but the payment button was grayed out. So I called and after 30 minutes of repetitive and annoying
on-hold sales nonsense, I reached someone. Being on hold with Amtrak is never a good experience. I don't know which is worse - the irritating lady with the shrill voice or the statement that "your call is VERY important to us." (Yeah - just not enough to bother to answer in a timely manner).

Reservations wanted to book the ticket, but I explained that I wanted to do it online. She transferred me to customer service, where I sat on hold for another 30 minutes. Then I heard an announcement that customer service was closed for the day, and it hung up on me. How classy!

I said the hell with it and booked on United.

I then did some checking, and apparently you have press "add" on the payment screen. You can't just pay. It hardly intuitive. I didn't want to add my card. People said this was a problem since at least 2019. Of course the geniuses at Amtrak won't fix it.

Back