BOS --> ALB on 449 -- Best side of train for scenery?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do this ride later next month. I'll be in business class, so the side I sit on might depend on which side the single seats are located. But if the train isn't crowded, I'd like to sit on the side with the best scenery.

There has been a thread on this, I just don't know where. I think it was the left side, not sure.

There has been a thread on this, I just don't know where. I think it was the left side, not sure.

That thread was for a ride on the NEC, IINM. For 449, I prefer the right hand side, especially going thru the Berkshire Hills west of Westfield. But given that the scenery is not spectacular anywhere on the route, it probably does not make a huge difference as to which side you sit on.

Except for running along a coast, including major rivers; which side is 'better' does not make that much of a difference. Being on the 'river or canyon side' is nice, but in my experience, most of those that do, will criss-cross back and forth from one side to the other, giving both sides the 'better' view. Sometimes there is a major scenic view on one side, such as The Horseshoe Curve in PA. I am not familiar enough with the Berkshire crossing to offer an opinion, One preference I have in general is to sit on the North, or "shady side". Easier on the eyes for viewing, and for photography....

Why not see what can be seen for yourself by previewing the trip using the satellite views of Google Maps? You could follow the advice of somebody here to "sit on this side" while the few things of interest to you pass by unnoticed on the other side.

After all, you're the only one who really knows what would be of interest to you.

Last edited:
I'm going to do this ride later next month. I'll be in business class, so the side I sit on might depend on which side the single seats are located. But if the train isn't crowded, I'd like to sit on the side with the best scenery.

Can't you change your seat during the trip? I do it all the time just take the slip the conductor write to you and stick it on top of your new seat.

Why not see what can be seen for yourself by previewing the trip using the satellite views of Google Maps? You could follow the advice of somebody here to "sit on this side" while the few things of interest to you pass by unnoticed on the other side.

After all, you're the only one who really knows what would be of interest to you.
Actually, I was kind of hoping for a discussion of what's worth seeing along the line. It's one of the few Amtrak lines in the northeast that I haven't ridden.

I think the scenery is very pleasant on this run, either side. I seem to have a slight preference for the south side.

I can't recall if this is west of Springfield or not but there is a small stream or river that the track runs along for miles. Sometimes the stream is on the south side of the track and sometimes on the north. I think it is the Westfield River but hopefully someone can confirm this or correct me as the case may be. I always look forward to seeing this area on the route and in my opinion it is the best part of the trip. The State Line tunnel is another point of interest

Hope you have a great trip.

I have ridden on the 449 many times. When leaving Back Bay Station in Boston you will pass Fenway Park and see the Green Monster on the Left Side of the train. You will then pass B.U.'s Nickerson Field and see the remaining grandstand from old Brave's Field on your left. Worcester Union Station will be on the right side and is worth a look. Downtown Springfield comes into view on your leftside. You pass a bison farm in New York just before Renssalaer. I always see a few bison grazing on the rightside of the train.

Last edited:
I think the scenery is very pleasant on this run, either side. I seem to have a slight preference for the south side.

I can't recall if this is west of Springfield or not but there is a small stream or river that the track runs along for miles. Sometimes the stream is on the south side of the track and sometimes on the north. I think it is the Westfield River but hopefully someone can confirm this or correct me as the case may be. I always look forward to seeing this area on the route and in my opinion it is the best part of the trip. The State Line tunnel is another point of interest

Hope you have a great trip.
That is the Westfield River and it is on the leftside of the train until it branches from Roaring Brook which can be seen on the rightside of the train heading west. The train then crosses the brook several times after a while.

I'm going to do this ride later next month.

Does it have to be next month? If you can go in the fall, the trees through the Berkshires are beautiful with the changing colors.

There’s a tiny train museum (Chester Railway Station and Museum in Chester, Massachusetts) along this line. They rent out a 102-year-old caboose for overnight camping.

It’s so tiny, though, that although you can see the train go by from the museum, it would probably be practically impossible to see the museum from the train.

I only found out about it because my CT cousins know I like trains and were trying to figure out a nice destination for us while I was visiting.

Back