BOS or BBY Boston stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margo

Lead Service Attendant
We will be going from WAS to Boston, Thursday, May 28. After a few days in Boston, we will take the LL to Chicago. We've never been to Boston, so I don't know which station to use. We'll probably be staying at the Battery Wharf hotel. We won't have a car. Thank you for any help.

Neither station is particularly convenient to the Battery Wharf area, in fact you're even quite a ways from the absolute nearest T station (roughly equidistant from either Haymarket or Aquarium stations, and neither is what I'd call close). I would plan on using Uber or a cab to get to/from your hotel.

In terms of which station to choose - if you're checking your luggage on the LSL, you will need to use BOS. If you're not, you can use either station. And you can actually book your ticket(s) as arriving at or departing from either station regardless of the station you actually end up using. So you could book from BOS but actually depart from BBY or vice versa.

Thank you for the advice. Using a cab is ok with us. I'm not sure about the Battery Wharf, we just want to stay somewhere with a nice view. We'll probably take the Old Town Trolley to sightsee. Any suggestions of a hotel would be appreciated.

Thank you for the advice. Using a cab is ok with us. I'm not sure about the Battery Wharf, we just want to stay somewhere with a nice view. We'll probably take the Old Town Trolley to sightsee. Any suggestions of a hotel would be appreciated.
If your looking for a hotel on, or near the water The Marriott Long Wharf is a good choice, and Aquarium T station (Blue Line) is right at it's door.

That said the Battery Wharf is a beautiful hotel, so if you do not mind taking a cab, Uber, or Lyft to get there you'll enjoy it.

Your ticket is good at either Boston Amtrak station, but only South Station (truly the most civilized of any Amtrak city station with frequent service) has checked baggage service, and

the ability to check bags, or parcels. That said, Back Bay albeit a self service, spartan station has something that South Station doesn't, Tasty Burger, the best burger chain in the area.

Enjoy your stay in Boston.

Ken

BOS is the full service station with ticket counters, food court, table seating, Acela lounge, Red Caps, baggage room, information, convenience store . The station is on the same level as the platforms for easier loading. The taxis are outside track one. The bus station is over the tracks by track one. The subway is down the escalator as is the busway to the airport. The Battery Wharf Hotel is 1.2 miles from BOS according to Google Maps, about 15-20 minutes with traffic.

If you're in a sleeper on the LSL, BOS has ClubAcela. Quite civilized, especially compared to the cramped quarters in NYP or WAS.

If you're not above getting on a bus, the 4 will take you between BOS and Battery Wharf. (Edit: the 4 is rush hour only; it worked for me but may not for you. Check schedules.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I'd say South Station is the Ultimate Big City Station but its very good!

If forced to choose one, I'd take 30th Street in Philadelphia since the Club Acela attendant is much friendlier than the Boston ones I've encountered and Philly also has a really good food court.YMMV

I like South Station because I'm a sucker for the grilled cheese sandwiches they have in the concourse. Also because I can watch trains while I'm waiting, but mostly the grilled cheese.

Thank you all for the information. BOS sounds good for our departure on the LSL, since we will have a room. We love the old beautiful stations. We're getting anxious to see Boston.

Departing on the LSL, with a room, BOS has the lounge, and checked baggage. It is hands down a nicer place than BBY. Unfortunately, my last few (train) trips to Boston put me at the Westin, the Colonnade, and the Sheraton Boston. BBY is a no brainer from those for a NEC trip back to NYP.

The battery wharf hotel is a lovely hotel. boston is very walkable, and it's not that far to the haymarket or aquarium T stops from there.

I would suggest that BOS (south station) is your best choice. You can take a cab or uber to the hotel from there.

Enjoy your time in New England!

I like South Station because I'm a sucker for the grilled cheese sandwiches they have in the concourse. Also because I can watch trains while I'm waiting, but mostly the grilled cheese.
The Grilled Cheese place has closed.....
I'm really disappointed about that. Nice grilled cheese with with American and muenster cheese, and a side of their tomato soup? Mmm! I may have to walk to another one of their locations some time. I came across one somewhere around Downtown Crossing a month ago, I believe.

Alllso... You notice that South Station also may have made history with what must be the first Starbucks in existence to close as well? Lol

I have no idea what's going on in the station right now.

Departing on the LSL, with a room, BOS has the lounge, and checked baggage. It is hands down a nicer place than BBY. Unfortunately, my last few (train) trips to Boston put me at the Westin, the Colonnade, and the Sheraton Boston. BBY is a no brainer from those for a NEC trip back to NYP.
Not that it's a perfect solution especially if you have a lot of baggage, but I'm assuming you know you can ride the MBTA from BBY to BOS for no charge? (Just to clarify for anyone who doesn't know about this, you may only ride the commuter rail for free from Back Bay to South Station. This does NOT apply to the reverse trip of South Station to Back Bay! )

Thank you all. I've just discovered the Boston Harbor Islands Nat. Park. That sounds very interesting to me. So maybe I'll change our trip to the middle of June so we can do the Lighthouse tour. Hotels seem to be much more expensive, so maybe I don't have to stay on the Harbor. I'm looking at the Harborside Inn. Any thoughts? Thank you again.

The harbor islands are lovely. I had a friend who was a park ranger who worked at the harbor islands one summer. He lived out there as a park ranger. He says it was the best summer ever. :)

For me, they were short trips up using NER and just small carry ons, so much as I totally agree that BOS is much nicer, I was just walking over, showing up 15 minutes before the train so it really didn't matter. But it is worth pointing out for someone else who might benefit. Especially someone waiting for the LSL in a roomette where the lounge is a big plus.

Thank you all. I've just discovered the Boston Harbor Islands Nat. Park. That sounds very interesting to me. So maybe I'll change our trip to the middle of June so we can do the Lighthouse tour. Hotels seem to be much more expensive, so maybe I don't have to stay on the Harbor. I'm looking at the Harborside Inn. Any thoughts? Thank you again.
Hotels in Boston tend run on the expensive side, year round, and rates do spike further in warm weather.

There are some good hotels in the financial district that MAY offer better rates than the hotels directly on the water, and you would still be near the Long Wharf where Boston Harbor Cruises

depart from.

The Club Quarters, and the Hilton Financial District are two hotels to check out.

Another option to explore is my building, Port Side at East Pier, they rent out the model apartments as hotel rooms, the building itself it right on the harbor, even if they don't have any harbor view apartments available, the park they built in front of the building has the best views of the ever changing skyline, and the harbor itself. The Water Taxi, also run by Boston Harbor Cruises stops right

at our park. Port Sides number is 781-996-3834. Further we are only a 1 block walk from the Maverick T station (Blue Line).

Lastly, whenever you visit the T sells a 1 day pass, and a 7 day pass, good for unlimited travel on Subways, Trolley's and Buses, it is well worth it.

Ken

Back