Boston North Station layout?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot find a good layout of the interior of Boston North Station building on the web. Anyone know where there is one? Specifically, we'll be staying at the Onyx Hotel nearby. Can we conveniently walk through the terminal building from the Downeaster without going outside or minimize outside walking to get to Portland Street?

Will it be possible to cross Causeway (and live)? Google earth shows a crosswalk but then again, it shows an ATM in the middle of the street!

You'll have to venture outside to walk to Portland St. Once you are inside the terminal, walk forward and to the right, towards the McD's and Dunkin' Donuts. Pass through the doors ahead of you, and turn to your left. You'll walk up to Causeway St. Just cross at the nearest crosswalk. The center crosswalk does not have a pedestrian light, I believe the others do.

Portland St is almost opposite Legends Way, the walkway you'll use to leave the Garden.

The arena upstairs is the only place accessible from North Station. Everything else, including the T, is outside.

Enjoy your Downeaster trip, and your visit to Boston :)

Mike

It is a very quick and easy walk from the hotel, but it is outside. Causeway St can be busy but there are crosswalks with signals. Walk down Portland St and cross Causeway St there. You will see a Bobby Orr statue and TD Garden signs, enter the station/arena there. When you enter the building you easily see the waiting room for the tracks.

It is a very quick and easy walk from the hotel, but it is outside. Causeway St can be busy but there are crosswalks with signals. Walk down Portland St and cross Causeway St there. You will see a Bobby Orr statue and TD Garden signs, enter the station/arena there. When you enter the building you easily see the waiting room for the tracks.
I'm going the other way. Want to know how much is indoors before we have to go outside. My wife will complain about wanting to take a taxi but if there is much of the walk indoors, that "doesn't count". She always complains about the heat.

The time spent inside North Station will be about two minutes. If there is no traffic to wait for on Causeway St, your walk from the doors of North Station to the Onyx will take about four minutes.

You would most likely wait longer in the heat for a taxi, than the time it takes to walk. ;)

The onyx is practically across the street from BON.

When you walk off the trains you will walk straight down the platform into an open waiting room. You will see a bar on the left and straight ahead is a long corridor. You can exist BON by going right or left. Many ppl will go left to go outside to get to the green line. You can go right (past McDonald's) as well. Once you exit from the long corridor you want to turn again so that the big waiting room is behind you to cross cause way street. You can truly cross in the middle - where there is a crosswalk - it doesn't have to be at a light. But make sure you are in the crosswalk!!! You have the right of way and the cars should stop for you. 99.9% of the time they do.

Once you cross causeway street the onyx is like a block away. Total time walking should be under five minutes from the platform. Make sure you go to the free wine hour in the lobby from 5-6 pm. I love kimpton hotels! Join kimpton in touch for free wifi, too.

But watch out crossing the street if Aaron Hernandez is sitting by North Station in a car!!! He probably wouldnt stop for you!! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
But watch out crossing the street if Aaron Hernandez is sitting by North Station in a car!!! He probably wouldnt stop for you!! LOL
He is in jail all the way down in Bristol County. :)
The cars should stop but please exercise caution while crossing causeway street.

Off topic some, but wasn't there a plan to connect North and South Staions when they built "The Big Dig"? Or at least have a route to the North from South Station?

Off topic some, but wasn't there a plan to connect North and South Staions when they built "The Big Dig"? Or at least have a route to the North from South Station?
I don't know if it was part of the Big Dig plan, but I can tell you that it doesn't connect and that there are no current plans to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back