Boston - Pittsburgh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid of flying and need to go to Pittsburgh. it is a 14 hour trip from Boston. Has anyone done it? is this crazy?

I've done it from Stamford, CT to Pittsburgh - a bit shorter than the trip you're proposing, but not by much. Don't worry, it'll be a great a trip. Just bring some things to do on the train and you'll be fine!

We'd rather spend the overnight on the train than to fly . We have taken many trips to Orlando Fl, Baltimore-Washington DC and now Chicago in June. We will do anything to avoid the crowded, filthy, congested, unhealty conditions of flying and the dehumanizing treatment by airport security. You will be far more comfortable on the train and if you can afford it, go for the ultimate comfort and purchase a roomette or bedroom. Bring books, magazines, a laptop (to watch movies on) and snacks with you. You can buy decent food onboard. I believe your route requires changing trains in NYC but the trip will go fast and you'll see some nice scenery along the way.

I just punched up this itinerary on the website and it gives two choice, both of which would leave Boston at 6:15am. The first would arrive New York at 10:20 am, but is evidently a guaranteed connection - only 30 minutes - connecting to the Pennsylvanian at 10:50 a.m., arriving PGH 8:05 pm. The second, more expensive option is to continue to Washington to connect with the Capitol Limited, arriving PGH 11:48 pm. You could book a sleeping car on this portion if you wanted to. The Pennsylvania is a coach only train with limited meal service - more complete meals are available on the Capitol. Your idea is not crazy at all, but these are the only options. If you have the time and bucks, I would prefer to overnight in New York.

If you can afford the roomette by all means book it. It will enhance your trip and allow you to arrive in Pgh. well rested and relaxed. If you go by coach you'll get to meet some of you fellow travelers and coach seats are much nicer than airline seats. Have a great trip!

If you choose to book a roomette or bedroom, your meals/non alcoholic beverages are included. Definitely a plus! Enjoy the ride!
I was thinking they would travel by regional to NYP and then transfer to the Pennsylvanian. So there would be no roomette involved, though the upgrade to business class on the Pennsylvanian would certainly be worth it. Even if they went via DC and took the Capitol Limited, I'm not sure a roomette would make sense, though I suppose if one got a good price, since it would cover a meal in the diner. But the trip would take a few hours longer this way, so I assume that wouldn't be the first choice.

If you can afford the roomette by all means book it. It will enhance your trip and allow you to arrive in Pgh. well rested and relaxed. If you go by coach you'll get to meet some of you fellow travelers and coach seats are much nicer than airline seats. Have a great trip!
Unless you go via WAS, there is no available option of a sleeper. And even going that way, with a departure from WAS ~4 PM and an arrival in PGH before midnight, I don't think the extra $$$ are worth it!

The Pennsylvanian arrives earlier in the evening than the Capital Limited. IIRC, the CL doesn't arrive until something like 11:00 PM.

If it were me, I would take the NE Regional to NY and the Pennsy from there, both in business class. IMHO, business class makes 14 hours go by much faster.

Now if money were not an object, I would consider taking an Acela from BOS to NYP and then the Pennsy. I am assuming you will be traveling on a weekday. If so, both the 2151 AND 2153 will get you to NYP in time to catch the Pennsy, BUT it is not a guranteed connection. Nothing is between an Acela and another route.

FYI, No Acela will get you to NYP on time on the weekend.

I agree. Do the Acela to NY, especially if you haven't been on it before, and the PA train. Or you might stay on the Acela through to Philly and then get on the Pennsylvanian. Business Class all the way!

You are all right, the Pennsylvanian is the best choice based upon the arrival time into PGH. In that case I would try to book a business class seat as it's a great value at $25 for a 9hr. 15min. ride.

Gracie,

Thirteen hours on a train is a pleasure!!

You can take an early Acela from Boston to New York and connect to the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh.

There is Business Class on the Pennsyvanian and it is most comfortable.

I hope you have a good trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back