Boston problem

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marylee

Train Attendant
I could use some of this group's wisdom. I have my ticket for a sleeper on the LSL from BUF to BOS for a trip I'm taking in a couple of weeks. I was originally hoping I could stay in Boston for 2 days and use one of those days to do a day trip to POR before I went on to PVD for the rest of my trip. Unfortanately I didn't take into account that most hotels around the 3 Boston stations would be booked. I considered catching the last Downeaster train 689 and just staying the 2 days in POR even though it wouldn't arrive until 2 AM. But then I discovered the LSL has been arriving between 1-2 hours late this last month. With the worry of LSL being late - trying to get to North Station - and arriving in POR so late - I decided it wasn't something I wanted to do.

So my alternative plan is to just go on to PVD. I haven't bought the NER ticket yet. Again because the LSL could be late and the last NER train leaves at 9:30 my question is - if I modify my LSL ticket to connect with NER 67 - would that be considered a connecting ticket? If it is and the LSL is late would Amtrak work out a way for me to get on the NER or if that's not possible would they put me up for the night and get me on another NER the next day?

If not are there any suggestions as to what I can do? As always very appreciative of any help. Marylee

On weekdays, there's an MBTA commuter train that leaves BOS for PVD at 11:59pm. On weekends, the last train leaves at 11:10pm. That might give you some more flexibility with getting from BOS to PVD.

Boston hotels are a hot ticket during a good part of the year, as you discovered.

There are some options though. The MBTA red line's Braintree branch ends in it's in it's namesake and there are hotels galore there. Many tourists visiting Boston stay in Braintree for the affordability factor alone.

The Route 128 station area, which is rapidly developing also has some chain hotels within walking distance of the station.

Ken

I suggest you check Hotwire or Priceline Express deals. With a bit of research you can have an idea of where the properties are.

Alternatively, you could take the MBTA to Woburn, where there are many cheaper hotels, and the next day you could pick up the Downeaster there?

1st thank you all for your suggestions. There were many good ideas for finding a place in Boston and I will keep them in mind. But I think I may have another answer to my problem. I found that there is a route Empire Service (which I didn't know about) that could take me from BUF to NYP where I would transfer to NER-PVD. Neither train seems to be running late & it would be a connecting ticket.

My main goal is to be in Rhode Island to go on a 16 day river cruise to Chicago via the Great Lakes. I do appreciate all of your suggestions and I would have tried some of them if the LSL was to arrive in the afternoon. But a 68 year old with luggage wandering around a new city trying to figure out commuter train schedules (which we don't have here in Tulsa) in the middle of the night just didn't seem advisable if there was another way.

So has anyone used Empire Service and can anyone think of any problem I might have other than paying the 20% for canceling my LSL reservation. Thanks again

You don't have to pay the 20% penalty to "Revise" (Not Cancel)your Reservation from the LSL to an EmpireService Train connecting with a,Regional @NYP..

Empire Service Trains are No Frill Amfleet consists but prrfectly OK for the ride from Buffalo to NYP.

Simply call an Amtrak agent and they'll Rebook you and you'll only pay the current bucket fare for the Empire Service Train. You may even get a Credit on your card if the Fare is Less.!

Thank you. What a great itinerary. I was on a musical cruise in Italy a few weeks ago out of Venice. The ship was fine and culturally wonderful ( arranged by Minnesota Public Radio) but except for coming back into Venice at Sunset, where the ship went was something of a dud.

Some Empire trains July 10 - September 1 will be going to New York GCT ( Grand Central Terminal ). That will require a change to NYP unless you take MNRR to a connection to Amtrak. Can you give us dates and times so our well experienced NY fans can give some better options ?

Some Empire trains July 10 - September 1 will be going to New York GCT ( Grand Central Terminal ). That will require a change to NYP unless you take MNRR to a connection to Amtrak. Can you give us dates and times so our well experienced NY fans can give some better options ?
I don't even think it's set in stone yet. That's a major guess.

I don't even think it's set in stone yet. That's a major guess.
She mentioned a change fee, so I assume the dates have already been picked.

When I did something similar (for a trip to Portland, when there were no hotels available in Boston) I got a hotel in Worcester.

Here's the idea: you get off the LSL in Worcester and walk to the hotel in Worcester. The next day you take MBTA into Boston and the Downeaster to Portland. Proceed as previously planned.

But if you're a 68-year-old who doesn't want to figure out commuter rail schedules or wander from station to station... yeah, you're better off using the Empire Service, changing trains in New York, and going from there directly to Providence. Unless you really want that time in Portland.

Thank you Bob Dylan and everyone else. I revised my reservation and got a $16 credit! Greatcats - Blount Small Ship Adventure is a family owned business - their motto is " Go where the big ships cannot". This will be my 1st ever cruise and I'm really excited that we will be spending several days on the Erie Canal because I have ancestors in the 1830's that used it when they came from Germany to Detroit. There won't be more than around 80 passenger and it is very casual - everyone has meals at the same time - sort of like the train! West Point my ticket says NYP - I would have loved going to Grand Central. Neroden I will put your tip about Worcester with the other suggestions because I will get to Portland on a future trip. Maine is 1 of 2 states I haven't visited yet. The main difficulty with my original idea was it being late at night - if the train was arriving during daylight hours I would have given it a try - I like adventures! Thank you all again you're a wonderful helpful group. Marylee

The Route 128 station area, which is rapidly developing also has some chain hotels within walking distance of the station.
You can't walk to anything in the area of "The Route" except a large shopping complex across the street. Uber is the best way around the area. I've done so many times.
I recently received an email about more moderate priced hotels near the Boston HUB, and I figured that I would answer it here.

Yes, there is a major hotel right next door to the Route 128 Station, it's a Marriot Courtyard that opened last year.

marriot courtyard route 128

There are 2 others under construction.

Development is greater Boston continues at a break neck pace, what applied only 1 year, or even 6 months ago, may no longer be true.

Ken

Back