Boston South Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s a few photos /monthly_2018_11/IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.3f58e0a990f190e790fe95c32880d2c4.JPG/monthly_2018_11/IMG_1538.thumb.JPG.36f73e11cce33a7e64225aa2bab3aa0a.JPGof the Metropolitan Lounge in Boston /monthly_2018_11/IMG_1536.thumb.JPG.1db0c470ccee47e9e423ddc41eee4ffd.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    338.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 0
It seems the upper level is MUCH less furnished than before.
It looks like they ran out of furniture when they got to the upper level.  But then, I've never seen the place more than 20% occupied in the mid-day hours I've been there.

On the other hand, the picture of the 1950s 'modern' style chair in one of the photos is identical to the chair seen in one of the photos of the Metropolitan Lounge at WAS on another web site.  It looks like Amtrak is in the process of giving all the lounges identical furniture.  The individual chair looks quite uncomfortable to me, even the lightly-padded (if any) arm rests.

It should be noted, too, that the  'branding' has changed at WAS and now, BOS from ClubAcela back to Metropolitan Lounge.  That would explain why PHL allows regional train business class customers in as well as Acela, sleeping car, and AGR Select plus/executive passengers plus those with single use passes.  I'd LOVE to see how they pack even MORE people into the lounge at NYP!  I've seen it standing room only with Acela passengers for both directions, a number of AGR S+/E passengers (including me), and Silver Meteor sleeper passengers!  Unless they expand, there's no way to accomodate business class passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like they ran out of furniture when they got to the upper level.  But then, I've never seen the place more than 20% occupied in the mid-day hours I've been there.

On the other hand, the picture of the 1950s 'modern' style chair in one of the photos is identical to the chair seen in one of the photos of the Metropolitan Lounge at WAS on another web site.  It looks like Amtrak is in the process of giving all the lounges identical furniture.  The individual chair looks quite uncomfortable to me, even the lightly-padded (if any) arm rests.

It should be noted, too, that the  'branding' has changed at WAS and now, BOS from ClubAcela back to Metropolitan Lounge.  That would explain why PHL allows regional train business class customers in as well as Acela, sleeping car, and AGR Select plus/executive passengers plus those with single use passes.  I'd LOVE to see how they pack even MORE people into the lounge at NYP!  I've seen it standing room only with Acela passengers for both directions, a number of AGR S+/E passengers (including me), and Silver Meteor sleeper passengers!  Unless they expand, there's no way to accomodate business class passengers.
Sorry, PHL is allowing regular Business Class passengers in now? How about Acela "Business"?

Sorry, PHL is allowing regular Business Class passengers in now? How about Acela "Business"?
The last 2 times I've been in the PHL lounge, the suddenly 'busier than usual' (late afternoon) seemed to echo what I read on another web  site...PHL accepts BC customers, with or without coupon/AGR status.  All Acela passengers are always welcome...at those prices, they better be!

However...it should be noted, per Amtraks' own web site regarding lounges: click here   that CHI, LAX and PDX accept same-day BC passengers (look under 'Metropolitan Lounge' heading).   Noting that Boston has been renamed 'Metropolitan Lounge' and furniture that duplicates the change at WAS, can the 'exclusivity' of the ClubAcela be getting 'expanded' to everyone other than coach? 

Wow, they had big walls in the upstairs part before, and they are just gone! They were office-divider type stuff, with TVs and small seating areas. The walls were dark, the whole upstairs  seemed dark and divided and narrow and cut-off. This is MUCH better.

PHL accepts BC customers, with or without coupon/AGR status.  All Acela passengers are always welcome...at those prices, they better be!
This is completely false!

You need a Coupon, Select Plus, Select Executive, or pay a $20 fee for a day pass. PHL and BOS are the only lounges that  The only Acela passengers welcome are First Class passengers. Unless they have a coupon or AGR status. If all Acela passengers were welcome to use the lounge there'd be no room to move at any lounge. 

Well, NYP will probably remain "ClubAcela"  until it moves to the Farley Building in 2020.

Bit of a waste to redo the lounge for one and a half years, but I suppose Mr. Anderson doesn't really care about wasting money.

Bit of a waste to redo the lounge for one and a half years, but I suppose Mr. Anderson doesn't really care about wasting money.
I'd actually beg to differ. The NYP Lounge is heavily used. To the point where it's SRO during morning and afternoon rush hour. And while 2020 is the target date for the new building things can change quickly. 

Not "moving" per se, but yes. 

Moynihan Phase II, which includes the Train Hall in the Farley building, the elevators and escalators from the Farley building to (most of) the tracks, a new Amtrak ticket office, and an entirely new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge, among other things, is actually under construction and has been for months.  The skylight has already gone up.   Amtrak is signed on.

Several of the NJT tracks will still only be reachable from the NJT concourse.  :-(

Expansion of space and amenities,as well as access points not a total move of the whole station

Moynihan Phase II, which includes the Train Hall in the Farley building, the elevators and escalators from the Farley building to (most of) the tracks, a new Amtrak ticket office, and an entirely new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge, among other things, is actually under construction and has been for months. The skylight has already gone up. Amtrak is signed on.

Several of the NJT tracks will still only be reachable from the NJT concourse. :-(
Thanks. I guess I’ve fallen pretty far behind on this topic.

Moynihan Phase II, which includes the Train Hall in the Farley building, the elevators and escalators from the Farley building to (most of) the tracks, a new Amtrak ticket office, and an entirely new Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge, among other things, is actually under construction and has been for months.  The skylight has already gone up.   Amtrak is signed on.

Several of the NJT tracks will still only be reachable from the NJT concourse.  :-(
Didn't realize they were that far along with the project....it sounds like you might have gotten a "sneak peek" inside?

Back