Boston to Chicago in September - two options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
I have a trip booked on 449 in September. I have a bedroom booked from Boston to Chicago. Got a call from Amtrak this afternoon that, because of track work, my train will not have a bedroom from Boston to Albany and I’ll have a layover while the train from New York comes in to meet us.

I was given two choices.

1) Take 449 BOS -> ALB. Ride coach for the 5 hours and then transfer to a bedroom for the rest of the trip.

2) Catch either a Northeast Regional or Acela to NYP, and then catch 49 from NYP to CHI. Again, about a 1 hour layover.

My gut says to avoid NYP, but, the ride on the Acela would be nice, particularly considering that I’m losing my bedroom for about of my trip. It would also be nicer than riding coach on 449.

Which would you do? -_-

Unless Amtrak is comping me... Probably #1.

That said I've not done BOS-NYP and I want to one of these days.

Unless Amtrak is comping me... Probably #1.

That said I've not done BOS-NYP and I want to one of these days.
I asked if there was "Business Class" on 449 to ALB, and I was told there wasn't.

Do I at least get dinner somewhere?
Yes, once you leave ALB you'll get Dinner.

And no there's business class on LD trains. you basically have Sleeper or coach, nothing in between.

I would definitely do No. !. Most of the passengers on the LSL eat dinner after departure from Albany. Why? Because there is only one seating (approx. 5:30) in the dining car after LSL leaves Penn Station; the dining car essentially closes when the train is stopped in Albany joining 449, and then dinner resumes after Albany for a couple of more seatings. Unless you absolutely can't wait until 7 PM for your dinner, No. 1 will work just fine, and you'll eat after Albany.

George : Updated since your last Post:: Since you have done the Acela between NYP and BOS, I'll agree with the others that say take #449 from BOS-ALB.

The ride from BOS-ALB thru the Berkshires is a nice one and if you have a Biz Class/Cafe Car with the 2x1 Seating ( being used only for Sleeper pax between BOS and ALB), it will be much nicer than an Amfleet Coach.

Usually BOS-ALB Sleeper paxs on #449 get Lunch served by the SCA in the Cafe Car with a choice of a Salad or Sandwich or anything on the Cafe Menu.

Since the Sleeping Car that is usually on #448/#449,is on #49/#48 to NYP, I'm not sure if the SCAs stay with it or rides ALB-BOS with the Sleeper pax?

At any rate, your Sleeper from ALB-CHI will be on the Back of the Train with the 2 #49 Sleepers, so you won't have the Loooong walk from the Front of the Train to the Diner and Cafe Car like you usually have on #449/#448.

You will also get to use the very Nice Club Acela @ South Station while waiting, and as was said, the Albany Station is a lot better place to wait than NYP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trains 448 and 449 have had 1/2 business-1/2 café cars , with 2 and 1 seating, available for displaced sleeper passengers. Whether that will continue into September is anyone's guess....

The trip across Massachusetts is enjoyable, but so is the trip along the Hudson. The fare from NYP may be more expensive, and you'll also have the Acela fare.

Face it George, you'll have to plan another trip to Boston!

One thing to consider: NY Penn is a wretched hellhole of a place to change trains in. Albany's quite nice. Also, the coaches on #448/449 are Amfleet IIs so they're wide seat pitch and pretty nice.

A couple of other factors. This is part of my trip with D4 to Washington and Boston. We're taking the Capitol Limited from Chicago, then after a few days, the Acela to Boston (1st class, I might add). The trip back from Boston is paid for with D4's travel voucher that she won in an Amtrak photo contest. So, I have no desire to track back ("track back" - get it???) to New York, since we will have already done that ride on the Acela earlier in the week.

I've read elsewhere on the forum that NYP is a miserable place to change trains. Having been in CUS at rush hour, I can only imagine.

I asked the agent about business class on 449, and he said that there are no such seats. So, I' guess I'll have to sit next to my daughter.

Sigh, the things I do as a parent.

Well, I had booked a bedroom, BOS -> CHI. So, do we get BC?

Would be a nice comp for losing the sleeper for ⅓ of our journey!

Be aware that the use of the Business class car on 449 has been very inconsistent. Over last few weeks, it has been full café (all tables) instead of the half business class, on several days that I have observed it leaving BOS.

Based on my experience in May of this year, between BOS and ALB what you'll get - regardless of what you originally booked - is a coach seat and any food you want in the snack bar car (or whatever it's called) as long as you pay for it.

Back to your original choices, I would do 1, simply to avoid NYP.

Otherwise, about even. The Regional or Acela should be fine from Boston to New York (it's between NY and WAS that the Regional gets annoying--don't know about the Acela, because I never took it), and the scenery would be pretty good on each. The Hudson River and the Berkshires are both lovely to look at (although I don't know how long it takes to get out to the Berkshires from Boston).

The tiebreaker for me would be NYP, but I live just over an hour south of New York City and have not been there for over 35 years. I do not like crowds and noise, and I have even avoided all trains that start from there, even though I might be missing some nice ones. As boring as five hours in coach might be, it would be better than the hectic mess that NYP sounds like. There might be others here, however, who feel just the opposite and would think it is not a big deal.

I would do 1 because I believe there is some significantly better than average scenery that you go through as you cross the Berkshires. The good stuff is between Springfield and Albany. Enjoy! I understand you'll be doing the NYP - BOS later on Acela anyway. I agree with Mystic about the scenery along the Hudson vs. Berkshire, and avoiding New york Penn.

Hi George:

I had a similiar thing happen to me in May.

I decided to go to NYC for a few reasons:

1. I like going to NYC. And when you get off the train in NYC, you can go to the first-class lounge since you are in a sleeper and be one of the first ones down to the train if you use a red cap.

2. I think the ride up the Hudson is absolutely gorgeous!

3. If you go from Boston to Albany, I believe you will have to get off the train and reboard where the NYC sleepers are. I am not sure if you have to go up to the lounge or if you can stay on the platform since they are doing construction. Someone else on here might have more information on that, but if not, I suggest you ask specifically how that works so you are in the right spot.

As for getting some comp: You can try. I was told that since the change was to my accommodation and not to my actual rail *AND* before my trip started, they wouldn't give me anything.

I actually have tried to stop going through Albany until they are finished with the construction.

-Jackie

For me, this comes down to WHEN in September:

Early September (except on 9/11): New York, the summertime ride up the Hudson trumps the Berkshires IMO.

Late September: Albany, the Berkshires in the fall can be quite lovely.

Ah, timing. We're traveling Sept 26th.

Also, my ticket says we'll be in car 4920. From the consist listing, that appears to be in the front of the train - the Boston Section. If that doesn't exist, where will we be?

Also, is there a SSL equivalent?

There is really no SSL equivalent. The corresponding thing is the Lounge car but it is no match for the SSL.

4920 is the Boston Sleeper. When the Boston section is attached to the New York section in Albany it would be the front car right behind the Boston baggage car. So if the Sleeper is in the Boston section it would be the front car too.

However, if the Boston section is running just as a shuttle with passengers transferring to the main train at Albany then typically the Boston Sleeper goes to new York and in that case it may be positioned with the other (New York) Sleepers, though I am not sure what is actually done. If they are positioned with the NY Sleepers then it will at the rear of the train.

There is really no SSL equivalent. The corresponding thing is the Lounge car but it is no match for the SSL.
Sigh... It'll have to do, I guess. :p

Regarding the sleeper, that's interesting because my ticket says "coach" for the BOS-ALB section, and then 4920 for the balance back to CHI. I assumed that there were no sleepers on the Boston section (which is why I got switched to coach). I'm confused, then. If 4920 is on the Boston section, then why the coach part?

Due to construction at Albany station in connection with adding the fourth platform track and making very significant changes in the yard trackage both north and south of the station, there are not enough serviceable tracks to do the shunting necessary to put the two parts of the Lake Shore Limited together into a single train. Consequently, for this construction period the Boston section runs as a shuttle between Boston and Albany, and passengers transfer from it to the main Lake Shore limited consist that comes in from new York. That is why the Boston section does not have a Sleeper when it runs as a shuttle. You travel by Coach from Boston to Albany and then transfer to the Sleeper which comes in with the New York section at Albany. Hence Coach followed by 4920.

When the tracks become available again in Albany for shunting the two sections together, the Boston Section will carry the 4920 car to Boston and there will be no Coach ride involved for those booked in Sleeper from Boston to Chicago.

Hope that made sense. If not feel free to ask for clarification and I'll try.

Where is 4920 positioned out of Albany--in the front of the train, or in the back with the New York-Chi sleepers?

I went CHI-NYP in mid-July; on my train 4820 was right behind 4812 and went to NYP.

If it was me, I would take the Acela to NYP, check in to the Acela Lounge at NYP, then I would enjoy the beautiful scenic run along the Hudson to ALB. Also, you will already be settled in your bedroom out of NYP. I love looking at the Hudson, sometimes you get a beautiful sunset along the river. If for some reason the 49 is late getting to ALB you are already on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back