Boston's Green Line Extension

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Green Line Extension (GLX) is the first significant extension since 1959 of the venerable light rail system which started as the first subway in North America in 1897. The extension has 2 branches one to Medford and a shorter branch to Union Sq. Somerville. These extensions will serve an area that has been devoid of rail service for some time.

Here is an article from WBUR the local NPR station about the extension which includes a short video preview of the Union Sq. branch due to open in March.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2022/02/03/green-line-extension-preview-ride-mbta?linkId=150715743

From looking at the service alerts on the MBTA web site, it looks like on and after March 21, the E trains will be extended to Union Square and will be serving Science Park and Lechmere again.

When testing starts on the Medford branch, this will switch to the D trains going to Union Square (which is the final plan) and E terminating at North Station. Then once the Medford Branch opens this summer, E will run to Medford / Tufts.

Hoping to catch the first train out of union square that day to see how things shaped up.

Of course, this project has been criticized endlessly for taking so long. The reality is is that a project like this is a massive undertaking. In a way, it took exactly as long as it should of.

In my opinion, 10 years actually isn’t all that bad when you consider the scale of some parts, especially the viaduct over the Sommerville yard and the new lechemere station (which now looks like the nicest T station in the city).

Moreover, electrification is no small feat. My only criticism is not extending the union square brand all the way to Porter Sq.

Continued:
“The Green Line sucks.”
That’s what I hear most. And yes, it has so many drawbacks, not least of which are the squeaky wheels...
But one thing I admire about the green line is it’s ability to change what it officially is depending on its location. Sometimes it’s a street car, some times it’s a light rail system, and sometimes it’s a subway. It serves each of these modes rather well.

With the extension, it now has a new category that I am not sure what to call yet.

I agree going to Porter Sq. and maybe on to Alewife would have been great. Unfortunately the right of way on the Fitchburg branch does not look wide enough to add 2 more tracks so I don't know where they would put it. Would probably have to go underground.
I’ve driven along and checked the ROW as far as porter, and there for sure is enough for single track, maybe even two.

Of course, just eyeballing it is not conclusive

Last edited:
Union Sq is a 10-minute walk from my home and I look forward to never having to take the 69 bus again.

I wish they could have figured out a way to have controlled fare gates at the new stations but the people who run the T don't take it.

It is amazing to look back to 1959 when the old MTA was able to convert the Highland Branch from commuter rail to streetcar for $9 million ( $84 M today).

Good article from Commonwealth Magazine about the GLX. One interesting aspect is how the project was almost cancelled due to cost overruns in 2016 but was saved by some cost reductions and importantly by bringing management of the project in house instead of relying on consultants.

GLX opening a major achievement for the T

Now that I am awake, I just realized that this is the little itsy bitsy one stop extension to the dead end Union Sq, not the big one out to Medford/Tufts. So now my excitement is a bit tempered though we of course celebrate any extension at all.

Now that I am awake, I just realized that this is the little itsy bitsy one stop extension to the dead end Union Sq, not the big one out to Medford/Tufts. So now my excitement is a bit tempered though we of course celebrate any extension at all.
It also meant the restoration of service to Science Park and Lechmere the latter being an important stop for bus transfers. But for new service this is definitely the warmup for the main event which is the Medford extension.

The MBTA is going to switch from a fare gate system to a tap card, so that they can board busses and trolleys at all entrances, but I don't think it has been implemented yet. I think the sign was premature, rather than the wires being late. I've used tap cards in many cities and generally approve, but it means we can't just pass the Charlie card back to visiting friends (legally) to spring them into the system.

BTW, I think the "Charlie" card is the best fare card name ever. If anyone doesn't know why it is named that, Google it, then listen to the song!

The MBTA is going to switch from a fare gate system to a tap card, so that they can board busses and trolleys at all entrances, but I don't think it has been implemented yet. I think the sign was premature, rather than the wires being late. I've used tap cards in many cities and generally approve, but it means we can't just pass the Charlie card back to visiting friends (legally) to spring them into the system.

BTW, I think the "Charlie" card is the best fare card name ever. If anyone doesn't know why it is named that, Google it, then listen to the song!
Charlie Card is definitely a good name. I do like Seattle's Orca as well.

And they're going to start charging $3 for each new card, ostensibly to prevent free travel as the new system will allow you to go into negative for a trip in case you don't have money to pay for it.

Truly modern tap card systems also allow the use of most NFC devices including NFC credit cards in addition to things like Smartphones and Apple Pay through Apple Watch and equivalent from NFC capable wearable devices. I wonder if Charlie does or will allow that. The New York MTA OMNY does.

Truly modern tap card systems also allow the use of most NFC devices including NFC credit cards in addition to things like Smartphones and Apple Pay through Apple Watch and equivalent from NFC capable wearable devices. I wonder if Charlie does or will allow that. The New York MTA OMNY does.
You would think, as they're using the same system from Cubic.

Back