Bothered by Poo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kal-tex

Train Attendant
When travelling in a roomette and using the common restroom, I have often been repulsed by the “skid marks” left behind in the toilet. On a recent trip on the Texas Eagle, our Sleeping Car Attendant, Mike, made an announcement telling the passengers about the flush mechanisms of the toilets. He explained that the toilets utilize a dry vacuum flush, and that a “cleaner flush” could be achieved by placing toilet paper in the bowl before a bowel movement. The result: absolutely clean toilet bowls throughout the trip! Maybe other folks here already know this tip, but I was surely thankful to receive it enroute!

Now what about those in my underwear?
mosking.gif
(There are road maps! OK, too much information!
laugh.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
When travelling in a roomette and using the common restroom, I have often been repulsed by the “skid marks” left behind in the toilet. On a recent trip on the Texas Eagle, our Sleeping Car Attendant, Mike, made an announcement telling the passengers about the flush mechanisms of the toilets. He explained that the toilets utilize a dry vacuum flush, and that a “cleaner flush” could be achieved by placing toilet paper in the bowl before a bowel movement. The result: absolutely clean toilet bowls throughout the trip! Maybe other folks here already know this tip, but I was surely thankful to receive it enroute!
I've long wanted to post that solution, but I've always chickened out. :lol: Lay two strips of toilet paper in the bowl, forming an "X" at the bottom. I've used it on my boat for years. Half way across the Atlantic, follow that formula, and there it is, all packaged up for the bottom. Works really well on Amtrak too, but it's destined for the holding tank.

BTW. Don't bring along your Charmin. Use the toilet paper Amtrak provides. The disintrigagion time of the paper is critical for clearing out the holding tanks. The "stronger and more comfortable" toilet paper can clog the cleanout. Then there will be a lot of unhappy campers down the tracks. :giggle: :lol:

Do you suppose there is a way to require such an announcement be made on each trip?
Really? This is such a problem that you think sleeping car passengers want to start

their journey with instructions about feces disposal? Nothing say "class" like asking

your customers to reach into the toilet bowl.

General encouragements about keeping the shared restrooms clean are welcome and

appropriate. But methinks the better solution to this is for the SCA to, you know...clean the

bathroom more often? (Never mind...they're generally too busy ignoring the empty

paper towel dispenser.)

Don't get me wrong...I'm certainly willing to try this myself. I just don't think it's an

appropriate announcement to make.

Do you suppose there is a way to require such an announcement be made on each trip?
Really? This is such a problem that you think sleeping car passengers want to start

their journey with instructions about feces disposal? Nothing say "class" like asking

your customers to reach into the toilet bowl.

General encouragements about keeping the shared restrooms clean are welcome and

appropriate. But methinks the better solution to this is for the SCA to, you know...clean the

bathroom more often? (Never mind...they're generally too busy ignoring the empty

paper towel dispenser.)

Don't get me wrong...I'm certainly willing to try this myself. I just don't think it's an

appropriate announcement to make.
Perhaps a little sign would be more appropriate?

Also out of habit I tend to wipe up the lake of water that seems to accumulate around the sink.

On a side note I have had an SCA in the past who left a bottle of 409 in the bathroom and said it would be nice if people would clean up after themselves. That being said he still wasn't a bad SCA and was by no means one of the lazy ones ive encountered.

I had a Mike as my SCA on a Lake Shore Limited run years ago. In is initial indivigual room appearances, about the room, bla bla bla, he mentioned that very tip, which is used, I might add, to this very day. He was a very efficient and attentive SCA. Hoping to run across him again someday. :blush:

FWIW, I heard this same "best practice" shared over the IC by our neighboring SCA a few months ago on the Cal Zephyr. When our SII toilets went out on Donner Pass, our SCA announced that we should go to the 631 car to take care of business. Upon hearing that announcement, the SCA for 631 came over, commandeered the IC, and walked us through an unnecessarily graphic narrative of what to do, what not to do, and what the respective consequences would be. I could appreciate the message, but I think there was a better way to convey it without veering so far into TMI country. Perhaps they could take it off the air altogether and instead carefully wordsmith a sign that could be posted inside the lavatories.

When travelling in a roomette and using the common restroom, I have often been repulsed by the "skid marks" left behind in the toilet. On a recent trip on the Texas Eagle, our Sleeping Car Attendant, Mike, made an announcement telling the passengers about the flush mechanisms of the toilets. He explained that the toilets utilize a dry vacuum flush, and that a "cleaner flush" could be achieved by placing toilet paper in the bowl before a bowel movement. The result: absolutely clean toilet bowls throughout the trip! Maybe other folks here already know this tip, but I was surely thankful to receive it enroute!

Another recent thread went into the in-room Viewliner toilet... :blink: :blink: pros and cons. This thread does such a nice job of explaining ONE of the reasons why I prefer Viewliner roomettes, as I alone take the responsibility for managing my own "business." :unsure: That said, in a Superliner I do think it is good to enlighten passengers on how to "keep it clean," and it would be nice if Amtrak had a systemized way of politely explaining toilet etiquette. I can see it now, a placard entitled "Potty & Training ." :wacko:

Last October, when traveling on the TE from STL to CHI, our SCA made an announcement shortly after we left STL explaining how the toilets work, encouraging people to flush and to clean up after themselves. I had never heard such an announcement before and it made me think that there are a lot inconsiderate people riding on the TE. :lol:

Personally, I either travel in Viewliners or Bedrooms because I do not like to share facilities.

What about if we were just to fill the bowl with water? sometimes I put a few cup fulls of water, just enough, but in reality, is that okay if I fill the bowl with more water? will it cause any problems?? (i.e., clogging, backing-up, etc.)

What about if we were just to fill the bowl with water? sometimes I put a few cup fulls of water, just enough, but in reality, is that okay if I fill the bowl with more water? will it cause any problems?? (i.e., clogging, backing-up, etc.)

I shall pipe in as the self appointed Amtrak toilet expert (35+years of working with retention toilets for Amtrak). Adding a few cups of water will not cause any operational problems except it will fill up the holding tank sooner. If the tank is full the system will shut down thus the passengers in that car are inconvenienced!

:wacko: :( :eek:

I shall pipe in as the self appointed Amtrak toilet expert (35+years of working with retention toilets for Amtrak). Adding a few cups of water will not cause any operational problems except it will fill up the holding tank sooner. If the tank is full the system will shut down thus the passengers in that car are inconvenienced!

:wacko: :( :eek:
I think it's time to close this topic down. If you are an adult and still worried about "skid marks" you have more serious problems than those that can be solved on this board!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back