Boxcar and Caboose's continueing adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxcar

Lead Service Attendant
On arrival into Chicago on the Texas Eagle on the 15th was right on time, 1 and 1/2 hour late :D our stay in the Metropolitan Lounge was a pleasure. The red cap service on our baggage check and later on our preboarding was greatly appreciated.

We then boarded the Viewliner, Lakeshore Limited (48) for New York City.

I absolutely enjoyed the sleepette on the viewliner. The upper bunk into which I was all ways regulated to occupy was so much more pleasent than the Superliner. Besides more head room plus a window to look out, there were individual controls and fans for ventilation and believe me ventilation is need at times. The downside of this trainset was the Cafe car. It was not as well suited to sat and view the scenery like the lounge car on the Superliner. The scenery which I might add was great as long as daylight permitted. Our attendent was Melanie and was she super efficent and always there. She definitely deserved our $20 buck tip.

In Albany New York, our Train set split to allow the segment that goes to Boston to form and we were provided a different Engine. Our newly acquired engine had problems of occasionly losing electrical power to the cars but was not a problem till later when we were in the underground "Tombs" entering New York.

Our trip into the "City" was so good scenery wise. We follwed the Hudson River for 130 miles in doing so.

Now for what I call the "Tombs" of New York City. These underground tunnels were so dark and dreary as a tomb. Ever once and awhile we would pass an area of daylight that was filled with garbage dumped from above and I would not have been surprised to have viewed a body or two.

Well as luck would have it, we had a delay while setting in this tunnel and of all times to lose power, we did. We lost all electrical power except emergency lighting. I expected all the hoards of hell to show up at any minute.

Once we were cleared into New York Penn it was much better with the exception that for some reason we were not aligned correctly with the tracks or platform and required pulling up and backing up. This must have been the last straw for the engineer because when we backed into Penn it was at a speed that most routes would envy.

Deboarding was easy and our short walk to our hotel was quite easy.....BD

PS...On this leg, I tried the Baked Cod for dinner. Tasted like tuna to me but some others seemed to enjoy it. Much too my Cardiologist dislike, I continued my diet of the Angus Cheeseburger....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back