Breakfast in SAC and Lunch in GBB?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ehbowen

Engineer
I'm planning a big circle trip for next fall, HOS-NOL-CHI-PDX-VAC-SEA-SAC-GBB-SPI-LVW-HOS. I'm planning on taking my parents with me. Can anyone recommend a convenient place near the stations to grab breakfast in Sacramento and lunch in Galesburg? Possibly a lunch in Portland, Oregon as well.

For breakfast in Sacramento, there is Perko's, right across the street from the station and next to the Vagabond Inn Motel. It opens at six so hope you are not an hour early into Sacramento as I was the time my uncle and I connected to the CZ from the CS. We were over an hour early and had to wait for it to open. The wait was worth it, though: we had a very good breakfast there.

If you're transferring from the southbound CS to the eastbound CZ, consider making that transfer at Davis, CA, one station farther south beyond SAC. Nice town around the station for walking, better arrival/departure times. Good breakfast options--I haven't been there in a couple of years, so someone with more recent experience might give better guidance.

What day in SAC? A lot will depend on what day it is, since Sacramento is a government town.

Maybe Perko's?

http://perkos.com/locations?city=Sacramento

Perhaps the Pilothouse at the Delta King?

https://deltaking.com/pilothouse/
We should make our connection in SAC on a Wednesday. Miss tricia, while Davis might be a better connecting point we were not offered that option by AGR...does anyone think that trying to call and ask for that modification would be worthwhile?

Nice trip, were envious!

In order to do a turn in Davis, which is a much better place to wait on the Zephyr as Tricia said, you woulf have to pay for Coach tickets Round Trip from SAC to Davis on either the Starlight ( chances are you can stay in your room and occupy it upon boarding the Zephyr if none-one has it booked to/from SAC) or a Capitol Corridor Corridor train since AGR won't allow the connection in Davis, Martinez or Emeryville like in the past. If the Starlight is late to very late you can bail in SAC and cancel your Coach tickets.

If you do the SAC layover, Perkos, as was said, is fine for Breakfast. There is also a Starbucks close to the station if you like them!

In Galesburg there is a really good Mom and Pop place called "Baked"( Pizza and American) close to the Station on S.Seminary along with a Pizza Joint, Veggie/Vegan Place, a Deli etc.

The "Packing House" is across from the Station and is good, but is more upscale and pricey.

Check out Trip Advisor for reviews!

We should make our connection in SAC on a Wednesday.
I just note that because Sacramento is a government town. If you look at a map of the area around the train station, it's state, federal, county, and city government all around. A US District Court is across the street from the station. The main county jail is two blocks away, although the bail bonds businesses are open every day. Assorted state agencies are blocks away. Obviously a lot of the nearby businesses operate mostly to serve government workers.

There was a mall a couple of blocks away, but it was pretty sad and most of what it was is where they're building the new Sacramento Kings arena. Chinatown is across the street, but it is really, really sad. They "redeveloped" it in the 60s/70s and there's almost no business left.

Old Sacramento is pretty good during the day, but I don't think there are many options for breakfast. There was a place there called Harvey House (kind of channelling Fred Harvey) that had breakfast and looked pretty nice but closed after a few months. It was across from the California State Railroad Museum.

If the Delta King serves breakfast, that is worth the 15 minute walk into Old Town Sacramento from the Amteak station. Stop by the Calif State RR Museum gift shop enroute back to the station.

If the Delta King serves breakfast, that is worth the 15 minute walk into Old Town Sacramento from the Amteak station. Stop by the Calif State RR Museum gift shop enroute back to the station.
Breakfast is 7-10 AM M-F. It is kind of pricey if you want beverages. $3.50 for coffee, although I suppose one could just get coffee along the way

https://deltaking.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/deltaking-breakfast.pdf

1461-1272849628.jpg

Looks like great view of the river though.

DK-pilothouse.png

I've never actually been on the Delta King, but I have walked along the river (via Old Sac) and seen it. You can also see it from the California State Railroad Museum's train ride. I had a membership for two years. At $40 (Fireman) it was a great bargain since I could use it for a guest, including the train ride.

The Railroad Museum opens at 10 AM. You may or may not have enough time for a short visit, although just tucking into the store (free) was suggested.

http://www.csrmf.org/visitor-information/hours-admission-location

If you decide to go to Perko's in SAC, there is a side benefit.

They are a part of the airline miles dining program. The two I know about are United and Alaska.

If you register your credit card with the airline of your choice participating, you get air miles toward a free ticket.

You get a two-fer if you have the Amtrak card: rail and air points out of the meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you consider near the station? I lived in the neighborhood the station is in and like Jim Denny's on 12th Street and Terminal Way (Between H and I streets.) It's a local business and is within reasonable walking distance of Amtrak. I'd avoid eating in Old Sac for the most part because the places are either too expensive, not good or both too expensive and not good. YMMV.

For one of my former pseudo home towns, GBB I can heartily recommend the Packinghouse. It is a block north of the station,,, and has excellent sandwiches and entrees. If your a salad bar sort of person. We stop there every time we board (will have lunch there next week before grabbing the CZ for Osceola for gobble-gobble time.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back