Breakfast on the Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Our next US journey is getting ever closer and we're starting to fill-in the information gaps in our schedule.

Leaving NYC on the 51 Cardinal (hopefully it's re-instated by then) on the 23 December at 06:45 am. Do we get breakfast or should we look for something before we board? I think? it doesn't have a regular diner but is eating at set times still in force or is there another system. We're in sleeper BTW.

As our arrival time in Chicago is 10:00 am, do they serve breakfast before arrival?

Last food question (for now?)  We've eaten at and enjoyed Lou Mitchell's in the past and thought we'd have lunch there before catching the Southwest Chief to LA. Is it probable they are open on the 24 December? I did write to ask but no reply.

Thanks for any help

The French toast is delicious but not very filling. Have that if you're not too hungry or have a sweet tooth, or the egg sandwich if you want more protein (assuming it's still the same menu that pops up online).

The egg bowl looks unappetizing--I would not get that--it looks like eggs scrambled in with a bunch of other stuff and is not attractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
The French toast is delicious but not very filling. Have that if you're not too hungry or have a sweet tooth, or the egg sandwich if you want more protein (assuming it's still the same menu that pops up online).
The egg bowl looks unappetizing--I would not get that--it looks like eggs scrambled in with a bunch of other stuff and is not attractive.
I second the French toast recommendation. You may or may not get breakfast meat. Last week I got chicken sausage (pretty good) eastbound and none was available westbound a couple days later.

Also - the worst meal on Amtrak I’ve ever eaten is the breakfast bowl...

Back