Breakfast on the Crescent out of NOL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie1a

Train Attendant
In a couple of months I will catch the Cascade from NO to NYC. It leaves NO at 7 am. When I board will the diner be open for breakfast?

Do you mean the Crescent? I assume so and will change the title.

The diner will open at the whim of the LSA after departing New Orleans. I've been seated in the diner shortly after departure, and I've also been told "diner opens after Slidell" - as usual with Amtrak there is no consistent practice but you should be able to get breakfast at some point.

The sleeper pax will be invited once they make the sharp turn by Lowe’s. The coach pax will be invited sometime around slidell

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

When I took the Crescent last April 2017, breakfast was served as we were crossing Lake Pontchartrain before Slidell. Here are my photos of that trip. The photos after leaving New Orleans of the Lake were taken from the dining car as I ate breakfast.

Great photo's! I am living vicariously through them!

When I took the Crescent last April 2017, breakfast was served as we were crossing Lake Pontchartrain before Slidell. Here are my photos of that trip. The photos after leaving New Orleans of the Lake were taken from the dining car as I ate breakfast.

Please don't take things from the dining car. Amtrak makes the crew responsible for missing things - even pictures.
default_mosking.gif
:giggle:
default_mosking.gif

On our last Crescent trip, sleeper passengers were offered breakfast within 15 minutes of departing NOL station. Sleeper passengers can wait in the Magnolia room the sleeper passenger room in the corner of the station. They usually have coffee available there.

A ride I enjoyed a couple times in years past when visiting NOLA was to ride #20 to Meridian, MS, visit the Jimmie Rodgers Museum in town for a few hours; then ride #19 back to New Orleans. Breakfast and dinner aboard the train and lunch in Meridian.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly question-youre in New Orleans??? Why not get a good breakfast before boarding? Even cafe a lait and biegniegts is usually a step above anything on board. To be fair dining car fare has improved but not to the point I'lol go there before eating real food in a city known for its amazing eats.

Silly question-youre in New Orleans??? Why not get a good breakfast before boarding? Even cafe a lait and biegniegts is usually a step above anything on board. To be fair dining car fare has improved but not to the point I'lol go there before eating real food in a city known for its amazing eats.
The Crescent departs at 7 am, so it makes for a very early start to try to go out to breakfast beforehand. Many restaurants are not even open that early.

The Crescent departs at 7 am, so it makes for a very early start to try to go out to breakfast beforehand. Many restaurants are not even open that early.
Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets is open 24/7
default_happy.png

Cafe Du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets is open 24/7
default_happy.png
Those are for consuming in the Magnolia Room prior to boarding and having breakfast.
default_mosking.gif

Back