Breakfast out of DEN on westbound CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
I suppose this depends on how late the CZ is arriving into Denver, but how likely is it that breakfast will be available to boarding sleeping car passengers in Denver?

And, I realize this seems unlikely, if the train arrives at its scheduled time can you board right away or do you need to wait until sometime close to scheduled departure time?

Thanks!

Basically you answered your own question about Breakfast for passengers boarding in Denver.( the Zephyr is usually close to on time into Denver)

As for being able to board, soon as the Train is announced you can board your Sleeper. Your SCA should be there to greet you unless they're busy making up rooms etc( Denver is a popular arrival point)

Once you're settled into your room,head for the Diner,eat, and then head for the Sightseer Lounge ASAP since the trip up the Front Range and thru the Rockies is a do not miss and seats are in high demand!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never boarded Westbound at Denver, only Eastbound. What they do in the evening is have everyone line up in 2 lines, one sleeper one coach, and they start scanning tickets on the platform before boarding. Getting off in Denver in the morning, they usually have a lot of rooms to do, and they also wash the windows and add water. Not sure if it is a fuel stop. Train may be in early., but will not depart early.

I'd skip breakfast in the Dining Car; have something to eat prior to boarding the train. After your ticket is scanned, lifted, whatever, head directly to the SSL to get a seat for some magnificent scenery. As another poster mentioned, seats are at a premium for that segment of the trip

I'd skip breakfast in the Dining Car; have something to eat prior to boarding the train. After your ticket is scanned, lifted, whatever, head directly to the SSL to get a seat for some magnificent scenery. As another poster mentioned, seats are at a premium for that segment of the trip
Yep, all things considered I'd willingly give up Amtrak's rudimentary breakfast for a guaranteed seat in the SSL West of Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden the zephyr several times and always gotten a seat In the lounge after breakfast.

I wake up, go into Union station for an iced coffee, get breakfast as soon as I can upon leaving denver, and usually get to the lounge right before the big 10 curves.

When it's busier I've had to grab an aisle seat at one of the booths, but people always move in and out of the car so I can get a window seat eventually.

You should be getting breakfast if it runs on time. However it looks like the Zephyr has frequently been late in the past month or so, so you might want to plan out where/if you'll be getting breakfast, if the train is too late.

Denver Union Station has multiple restaurants in it, including a bakery among other places. I suspect the meal offerings there would be far superior to the Amtrak Breakfast. I'd do that then jump into the lounge right away. It's a fun ride over the front range.

Back