Bridges - favorite, least, newest and falling down?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Burlington Bridge between Iowa and Illinois is a classic, although it is gradually being updated. The main concern with the old bridge was the swing span that was too narrow for modern barge traffic and that has been replaced with a vertical lift span that still looks vintage. Just think how many Zephyrs have passed over her!

Another bridge that is etched into my memory is one that Amtrak didn't use, but it was/is? a 'landmark' in Chicago. It is I believe a bascule type bridge, located near the Amtrak Chicago yard, and always seemed to be in the 'up' position, standing like a sentinel over that part of town. I haven't been there for a while, so I don't even know if it's still there. Anyone know which one I mean, or any info about it?
If we're talking about the same one, it was still there last week.

I would like to add to the bridge list the Amtrak Lumber Street Bridge. It is just South of the Chicago Amtrak Maintenance Facility. It is a lift bridge over the South Branch of the Chicago River. It is essential to many Amtrak trains going East, the Chicago/ St.Louis trains, and some Metra trains. It is called in Wikipedia "Canal Street Railroad Bridge. wikipedia link with pictures

Several years ago on an extremely hot day for Chicago, (100oF +) the bridge was raised for river traffic and the span had expanded so much that it could not be lowered. It took several hours of the Chicago Fire Department spraying the span with high pressure hoses to shrink the span.

I would like to add to the bridge list the Amtrak Lumber Street Bridge. It is just South of the Chicago Amtrak Maintenance Facility. It is a lift bridge over the South Branch of the Chicago River. It is essential to many Amtrak trains going East, the Chicago/ St.Louis trains, and some Metra trains. It is called in Wikipedia "Canal Street Railroad Bridge. wikipedia link with pictures

Several years ago on an extremely hot day for Chicago, (100oF +) the bridge was raised for river traffic and the span had expanded so much that it could not be lowered. It took several hours of the Chicago Fire Department spraying the span with high pressure hoses to shrink the span.
I like how the picture of the "Canal Street Railroad Bridge" Wikipedia uses actually shows an Amtrak train, complete with a number of Amtrak Express cars in tow, about to cross the bridge. Something of a historical shot from the year 1999.

I've not paid attention to many bridges in particular, but these are two significant bridges nearby. The I Street Bridge is a swing-style bridge that crosses the Sacramento river just West of the Sacramento Amtrak Station. Built in 1911, it carries over 70 trains a day, including mainline freight for the Union Pacific and BNSF, all Amtrak Capitol Corridor trains, several San Joaquin trains, the Coast Starlight and the California Zephyr on the bottom deck, with the top deck being I Street (hence the name.) Wikipedia I Street Bridge

The second is the Benicia-Marinez Bridge crossing Suisun Bay in the Bay Area. Although the Wikipedia article is geared more to the highway bridges carrying Interstate 680 that now flank and hide most of its significance from view, it is a vital regional pipeline for all things railroad. It too carries both UP and BNSF fright, the Capitols, San Joaquins, the CZ and the CS. I've been told it holds the distinction of being the longest railroad bridge west of the Mississippi River. That is something to be verified still, but its a very impressive bridge none the less! Wikipedia Benicia-Martinez Bridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Another bridge that is etched into my memory is one that Amtrak didn't use, but it was/is? a 'landmark' in Chicago. It is I believe a bascule type bridge, located near the Amtrak Chicago yard, and always seemed to be in the 'up' position, standing like a sentinel over that part of town. I haven't been there for a while, so I don't even know if it's still there. Anyone know which one I mean, or any info about it?
I just did a bit of surfing Wikipedia, and found the bridge I referred to is the (abandoned) Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad Bridge, just north of the St. Charles Air Line railroad bridge that is used by Amtrak CONO.

It has been in the raised position for as long as I can remember....

The Burlington Bridge between Iowa and Illinois is a classic, although it is gradually being updated. The main concern with the old bridge was the swing span that was too narrow for modern barge traffic and that has been replaced with a vertical lift span that still looks vintage. Just think how many Zephyrs have passed over her!
I was lucky enough to cross this bridge twice within the last 8 days on ky DEN-GBB roundtrip. Nice bridge! I wanted to go to GBB for the museum but it was closed. Next time I go to the Quad Cities area by train I'll go to Burlington so I can see the bridge.

A few other bridges worthy of mention in this context.....

The first is the Huey P. Long Bridge across the Mississippi in Jefferson Parish just outside New Orleans LA. The Sunset Limited uses this bridge.

The two bridges across the Mississippi in St. Louis the Merchants Bridge and MacArthur Bridge are pretty impressive too. Chicago - St. Louis service and the Texas Eagle use either of those bridges depending on the mood of the dispatcher. The Eades Bridge which now carries the LRT line is I believe the first of the crossing of the Mississippi to be built around St. Louis.

If one is allowed to cross the border into Canada, my favorite there is the Quebec Bridge across the St. Lawrence, between Levis and Quebec City. The first two attempts to build this bridge ended in collapse. The third and current successful version was built successfully, and to this day remains the world's longest single Cantilever span bridge. The Montreal - Quebec City VIA Corridor service uses this bridge.

The Amtrak Cascades has a spectacular view of another Canadian bridge, the Skybridge, used by Vancouver's Skytrain.

250px-Vancouver_skybridge.jpg

I've got to second/third the bridge east of NOL that "floats" the train out of the city. It's eerie to be in the diner for breakfast and to see nothing but water on both sides for miles.

The most dramatic high trestle I've encountered on a commuter rail line on the Port Jervis NJT/Metro-North line, about a half-hour east of Port Jervis. Anyone have more information on that bridge? You'd never expect such a view from a commuter train!

I just did a bit of surfing Wikipedia, and found the bridge I referred to is the (abandoned) Baltimore and Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad Bridge, just north of the St. Charles Air Line railroad bridge that is used by Amtrak CONO.

It has been in the raised position for as long as I can remember....
Yep, here's a picture that I took of it in 2010:

DSC_7077 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

My favorite is the bridge over the New River at Hawk's Nest:

Dome_Trip_066 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

Non railroad, but the bridge that takes US 64 over the New River Gorge is also amazing:

Dome_Trip_072 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

OK, one more - not much to look at from the rail side, but the Beta Bridge in Charlottesville has a special place in my heart. Been across it many a time when I was spending the weekend up in Hooville:

Dome_Trip_089 by Ryan Stavely, on Flickr

The bridge has been a de facto billboard for UVa students to paint for over 100 years, usually being painted upwards of 5 times a week. After the shootings at Virginia Tech in 2007, it was painted to look like this and it remained that way for the rest of the school year:

betabridge.jpg

The Rugby Road bridge was the best way for us to express our support of our fellow Virginians. It's nice to see that reminder as we head into the week of the "big game". Great pics. Where is that trip report for your recent dome trip? Some of like living vicariously through the trip reports. :rolleyes:

The most dramatic high trestle I've encountered on a commuter rail line on the Port Jervis NJT/Metro-North line, about a half-hour east of Port Jervis. Anyone have more information on that bridge? You'd never expect such a view from a commuter train!
That is the Moodna Viaduct.

800px-Moodna_Viaduct.jpg

The same route further up has the Starucca Viaduct which is a spectacular stone arch bridge.

On the parallel Lackawanna route there are four rather remarkable early concrete arch bridges worthy of mention. The largest of them all is the Tunkhannock or Nicholson Viaduct on the Halstead Cutoff...

800px-Steamtown-Nicholson-Viaduct.JPG

The three lesser ones of similar design going south/east to north/west are the Paulin's Kill Viadact in NJ on the Lackawanna Cutoff, The Delaware River Viaduct across the Delaware near Slateford PA, and the one on the Halstead Cutoff north of Nicholson that crosses a creek and Route 11. All of them were state of the art poured concrete arch bridges and when built the Paulin's Kill and the Tunkhannock were the largest such in the world - a testimony to the engineering prowess of the Delaware Lackawanna and Western Railroad.

At present the Halstead Cutoff is part of CP's Class 1 NAFTA route connecting Montreal to Wilkes-Barre and then on to Harrisburg. Every year it hosts the Amtrak special on its way to Steamtown in Scranton. The special runs from Albany via Binghamton to Scranton on CP.

The Lackawanna Cutoff in NJ is slowly getting service restored by NJ Transit and there are plans to eventually get passenger service up and running from New York to Scranton, and possibly even Binghamton over the Halstead Cutoff. NJTransit serves the Erie Line under contract from MNRR on its Port Jervis route, which suffered major washouts from Hurricane Irene and is slated to have service restored on Nov 28th.

I'll use one of my favorite examples of a great bridge living well past it's prime.... The Spuyten Duyvil Bridge (http://en.wikipedia....n_Duyvil_Bridge). Although it was great in it's day and still used regularly, it is now clearly an impediment at 111 years old. The pictures you'll find may even do it more justice than it deserves. If NY State lives up to it's 20-year-old promise to replace the bridge, Empire Corridor service will be immediately improved for obvious reasons. I know public-vs-private funding sources for rail has been discussed a lot before. However, I wonder specifically for bridges who is generally better at it the gov't, or private companies? If the technology the same? Do the feds have an edge in terms of quality, or are they handicapped by red tape? 100 years from now, do you think any of the railroad bridges being built & reconstructed today will be standing? Which ones?
One simple example: The Oakland end of the Bay Bridge is being replaced at the age of 75 and has probably never had its full design load applied. In general a highwway bridge design load is bumper to bumper trucks in all lanes. For the bay bridge, it may have been six lanes of automobiles on the upper deck and three lanes of trucks and two tracks of interuban cars on the lower deck. The Memphis Bridge, commonly called the Frisco Bridge is a 119 years old single track railroad bridge carrying loads that were beyond the range of George Morison's (the designer) worst nightmare. (When opened it was test loaded by a solid train of the heaviest steam locomotives they could get. However, this string consisted of 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 locomotives with four axle tenders, far lighter than then the modern coal trains and double stack container trains that go across it today. Did I mention that it was the first bridge across the lower Mississippi and for a while had the longest span of any bridge in the US.

Simply put: In highway bridges politicians maintenance frequently is neglected in favor of paint and other appearance items. In railroad bridges functionality is everything.

For those who have heard that the Bay Bridge replacement is due to seismic issues, that is the public reason, but not necessarily the whole or even the major reason. There was considerable corrosion in the eyebar joints. In fact, one failed and has been given a temporary fix to hold up long enough for the replacement to get completed.

Here are three four bridges I enjoy, all of them rail:

1) Richmond, Virginia, where the Silvers and friends cross the James River south of town. I've never actually SEEN this bridge, only the view from a train of the rapids below. Very cool view! Does anyone have photos of the bridge itself?

2) Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, alongside US highway 501 where it crosses the Waccamaw River is a bascule-type bridge that is permanently (as long as I've been visiting there, 20+ years) in the up position. Zoom in on this Google map satellite view for a nice picture. Myrtle Beach still has a train depot, but I'm sad to say that no passenger trains run there any longer.

3) Columbia, South Carolina, where CSX crosses US highway 21 north of downtown, has an old steel truss bridge on even older granite piers. The Silver Star passes this route twice a day, usually when I'm sound asleep. I'll take some street-level photos of the bridge and the art and post them later. Columbia has a lot of bridges and buildings with piers and foundations made of blue granite, most of it quarried about 30 miles north of the city in Winnsboro, home to the South Carolina Railroad Museum, which just happens to operate on the old quarry railroad.

4) Let's make it four: also in Columbia, South Carolina, a line crosses the Broad River where it joins the Saluda River to form the Congaree River. It interests me because the piers alternate between old granite structures with a concrete section on top to raise the height and newer all-concrete piers. Our city has a long history of bridges over this river, built, burnt (mostly during the Civil War), and rebuilt over or beside the old ones. This bridge carries the tracks that ought to be hosting passenger service between Columbia and its burgeoning upstate neighbor Greenville, but today it mostly hauls coal to the power plant a few miles upstream. Apparently a bad passenger train wreck happened a short distance to the west of the bridge several decades ago, but I've lost the reference to it now.

800px-Moodna_Viaduct.jpg

The same route further up has the Starucca Viaduct which is a spectacular stone arch bridge.

On the parallel Lackawanna route there are four rather remarkable early concrete arch bridges worthy of mention. The largest of them all is the Tunkhannock or Nicholson Viaduct on the Halstead Cutoff...

800px-Steamtown-Nicholson-Viaduct.JPG

The three lesser ones of similar design going south/east to north/west are the Paulin's Kill Viadact in NJ on the Lackawanna Cutoff, The Delaware River Viaduct across the Delaware near Slateford PA, and the one on the Halstead Cutoff north of Nicholson that crosses a creek and Route 11. All of them were state of the art poured concrete arch bridges and when built the Paulin's Kill and the Tunkhannock were the largest such in the world - a testimony to the engineering prowess of the Delaware Lackawanna and Western Railroad.

At present the Halstead Cutoff is part of CP's Class 1 NAFTA route connecting Montreal to Wilkes-Barre and then on to Harrisburg. Every year it hosts the Amtrak special on its way to Steamtown in Scranton. The special runs from Albany via Binghamton to Scranton on CP.

The Lackawanna Cutoff in NJ is slowly getting service restored by NJ Transit and there are plans to eventually get passenger service up and running from New York to Scranton, and possibly even Binghamton over the Halstead Cutoff. NJTransit serves the Erie Line under contract from MNRR on its Port Jervis route, which suffered major washouts from Hurricane Irene and is slated to have service restored on Nov 28th.
Worked in Wilkes Barre and after (20) years living in Poconos, PA and then retired to Las Vegas. Had wife's friend/daughter visit us from Florida and we went on the excursion ride from Steamtown National Historic Site(Scranton, PA). You go for about a hour and a half one way and then return thus crossing the bridge at Nicholson twice. On the way up we STOPPED on the bridge. I about wet my pants as I am afraid of heights. This from a guy who enjoys riding in small airplanes. I HAD to look out the open window. Oh my God was that scary. We stopped for about (5) minutes.

NAVYBLUE

Here is a great video if the Moodna Viaduct:

These are high speed bridges and most passengers probably don't realize what kind of structure they are on.

The former Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge from Clarksville, Indiana to Louisville, KY formerly used by the Floridian and later the Kentucky Cardinal is an awesome bridge spanning the Ohio River at the Falls of the Ohio. It was built in 1870 to be the first bridge crossing the Ohio River at Louisville. It was rebuilt in the early 20th century. I have traveled across the bridge when Conductor would give a short talk about the Falls of the Ohio and the impressive fossil beds in the area. It is sad that no passenger trains cross that impressive bridge today.

Lots of great rail bridges and trestles, but my favorite two have to be the Huey Long Bridge across the Mississippi in NOL (Sunset Route) and the Causeway across the Lake into NOL (Crescent Route).

Honorable mentions to the Pecos High Bridge (Sunset Route) and to the 1881 Stone Bridge across Lady Bird Lake in Austin,the oldest active Rail Bridge on the Texas Eagle Route.

I think the Firth of Forth Bridge is the greatest in the world, and I'll vote for Pecos River High Bridge as best in the US.

There is a rail bridge near me crossing the channel which separates Fidalgo Island from the Mainland. It was featured in Trains magazine because it has five different types of bridge construction all on one structure.

Back