Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this argument. They probably will never use I-5 in Los Angeles but their tax dollars are going for that. For that matter, this person may not ever travel on I-10 in Northern Florida. And technically Bightlie isn't tax supported. There are hundreds of thousands of such exaples.

There seems to be a never ending supply of keyboard warriors who regurgitate this nonsense. They would never criticize a highway or airport but automatically assume rail is fully government supported , instead of doing a little research into Brightline.

and as far as “Florida deserving this”?

Yes we do

it’s long overdue

There seems to be a never ending supply of keyboard warriors who regurgitate this nonsense. They would never criticize a highway or airport but automatically assume rail is fully government supported , instead of doing a little research into Brightline.
It is the low energy goto line to appear knowledgeable about stuff about which typically they know nothing.
and as far as “Florida deserving this”?

Yes we do

it’s long overdue
Absolutely.

Besides they really are a Florida company, so it is somewhat natural that they are trying to build something in home territory. And as it turns out, the state government has been surprisingly supportive of them even though some of the local in the hicktown part of the coast have been less so, carrying on their long standing tradition on such matters. Remember that Martin County delayed the construction of I-95 through there by almost ten years. So it is not just rail.

From this side of the peninsula, there has been nothing but support locally in Hillsborough (and the city of Tampa) and Polk (and the city of Lakeland) Counties. The only opposition to phase 3 to Tampa has been from Universal Resort/I-Drive hotels and the NIMBYs along 417 in the Hunters Creek development.

And I agree with jis, the State government as well as congressional representatives have been overwhelmingly supportive over the past 10 years (Republican and Democrat, except for the few in Indian River, Martin, and Brevard Counties). Even Gov. Scott helped make the ITF at MCO Airport happen.

Last edited:
Brightline Construction: Central Brevard County Progress - December 2021

Brightline construction progress in Central Brevard County, FL including Cocoa, Rockledge, Viera, Suntree, and Pineda

As I watch these I am noticing how many small local industries FEC still bothers to serve. I wish they could take over management of the lines owned by CSX and NS, who have been trying to eliminate online traffic for stupid reasons.

Since hundreds (over 700 in 2020) of pedestrians are killed each year in Florida, this local news report being among the latest, why does Brightline get such negative press? And why is Brightline "forced" to spend tens of millions of dollars to protect people from themselves, whereas road safety (or lack of) and fatalities are considered the cost of having mobility by auto? I think state and local governments should assist with the costs to implement safety improvements for Brightline - as hundreds of millions are spent each year nationwide on highway safety improvements for pedestrians.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/pasco...truck-and-killed-crossing-us-41-troopers-say/

Land O’ Lakes woman, 71, struck and killed crossing U.S. 41, troopers say
LAND O’ LAKES — A 71-year-old Land O’ Lakes woman was struck and killed by a car as she walked across U.S. 41 on Sunday evening, the Florida Highway Patrol said.
The collision occurred at about 6:55 p.m. near where School Road splits off to the west from the six-lane, divided highway. There is no traffic light at the intersection.
A 20-year-old Tampa man was driving south on U.S. 41 when the pedestrian crossed from west to east into his path, the Highway Patrol said. The Land O’ Lakes woman died at the scene.
The driver and a passenger, a 16-year-old Tampa boy, were not injured.
The Highway Patrol did not release the names of those involved in the collision.

I haven't ridden since 2018, so I am not sure how true this article is. To those who have ridden in premium class, is it true there have been downgrades and a limit on the number of coffee refills per trip? Seems pennywise but pound foolish to me, if true.

The Brightline Train Is Back, But Not Necessarily Better

From Forbes:

The downgrades start in the Premium lounge. It’s the type of nickel and dime cuts you expect from the airlines. You know, give them one olive in the salad instead of two, and eventually, just do away with the lettuce when they start complaining about the salad.

There is an automated pour machine instead of the previous assortment of attractive wine bottles resting in a tub of ice. The contraption limits you to two drinks, and while I didn’t partake, a couple who was attempting to do so found it a frustrating endeavor.

The previous buffet spread of lavash bread and quality crackers, cheese and salami slices have been replaced by small plastic containers of rice, noodle, pasta and potato salads. There are cookies and cakes, but they hardly shine. Onboard, the downgrades continue. Gone are the snack boxes with hummus, olives and pita slices, replaced with 7-Eleven type junk such as mini-cans of Pringles and chocolates. Okay, there are basic granola bars.

I haven't ridden since 2018, so I am not sure how true this article is. To those who have ridden in premium class, is it true there have been downgrades and a limit on the number of coffee refills per trip? Seems pennywise but pound foolish to me, if true.
Heck, I wasn't impressed with Select class. Glad I didn't "splurge". When I rode last month, I peeked into the Premium area. Didn't seem like anything I'd want to spend extra money on. Acela First it is not.

I'm not sure about the coffee machine, but it looked like the beer machine required you to scan your Select ticket to use it. The coffee machine looked like the same one I've seen in the Amtrak sleeper lounge in Portland, but I didn't bother trying the Brightline one.

The Brightline Train Is Back, But Not Necessarily Better

From Forbes:

The downgrades start in the Premium lounge. It’s the type of nickel and dime cuts you expect from the airlines. You know, give them one olive in the salad instead of two, and eventually, just do away with the lettuce when they start complaining about the salad.

There is an automated pour machine instead of the previous assortment of attractive wine bottles resting in a tub of ice. The contraption limits you to two drinks, and while I didn’t partake, a couple who was attempting to do so found it a frustrating endeavor.

The previous buffet spread of lavash bread and quality crackers, cheese and salami slices have been replaced by small plastic containers of rice, noodle, pasta and potato salads. There are cookies and cakes, but they hardly shine. Onboard, the downgrades continue. Gone are the snack boxes with hummus, olives and pita slices, replaced with 7-Eleven type junk such as mini-cans of Pringles and chocolates. Okay, there are basic granola bars.

Forbes has their agenda. They will trumpet Covid (which is a serious concern) but when BL makes attempts to be cautious… they are giving “one less olive on the salad”. Basic granola bars. And if there was a buffet - they would say BL is risking public safety.

I have enjoyed all of my trips , regardless of class. They do a great job. This is nonsense.

Brightline Construction: Southern Brevard County Progress - December 2021

Brightline construction progress in Southern Brevard County, FL including Melbourne, Palm Bay, Grant, and Micco

What didn't impress you?
Kinda talked about it earlier. Perhaps not so much about Smart (Note: Incorrectly called it Select earlier) per se, but Brightline overall. The cliff notes is that you still get the cattle call to the platform, the platforms and the trains don't have digital displays, so when two trains arrive simultaneously, you have to rely on employees to ensure you pick the right train (if you get disoriented by North/South - obviously only an issue in FLL). Seats were uncomfortable for a 30 minute ride, so I'd consider them unbearable for a 3-hour Miami-Orlando ride. Trolley service offers Takis. Com'on, man. Really? Vending machine food belongs in a vending machine. Why not offer some of their more "premium" offerings that they give to Premium passengers as sale items?

Last edited:
Forbes has their agenda. They will trumpet Covid (which is a serious concern) but when BL makes attempts to be cautious… they are giving “one less olive on the salad”. Basic granola bars. And if there was a buffet - they would say BL is risking public safety.

I have enjoyed all of my trips , regardless of class. They do a great job. This is nonsense.
Forbes isn't really a publication you can assign a motive to, it's just a hodgepodge of random people publishing under a well known name. For better or worse they have no editorial board to lean in any direction; like it says in the byline, "Opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own."

Kinda talked about it earlier. Perhaps not so much about Smart (Note: Incorrectly called it Select earlier) per se, but Brightline overall. The cliff notes is that you still get the cattle call to the platform, the platforms and the trains don't have digital displays, so when two trains arrive simultaneously, you have to rely on employees to ensure you pick the right train (if you get disoriented by North/South - obviously only an issue in FLL). Seats were uncomfortable for a 30 minute ride, so I'd consider them unbearable for a 3-hour Miami-Orlando ride. Trolley service offers Takis. Com'on, man. Really? Vending machine food belongs in a vending machine. Why not offer some of their more "premium" offerings that they give to Premium passengers as sale items?
Then again, no Lounge Dragons to make one miserable, no "we only put out six cans of soda at a time so people don't take more than one" in a lounge with 100 passengers, outstanding on-board attendants who want to help you find what you need and speeds that, while the seats might not be as nice as Amtrak's, the 3 hour trip would be 6-8 hours on Amtrak so the overall comfort is comparable as Brightline is not noted for sitting on sidings waiting for freights.

Forbes isn't really a publication you can assign a motive to, it's just a hodgepodge of random people publishing under a well known name. For better or worse they have no editorial board to lean in any direction; like it says in the byline, "Opinions expressed by Forbes contributors are their own."
Point taken. The opinion piece was exactly that. We all have our opinions. I believe that BL provides good service and a good price

Reactions: jis

This.

Furthermore, you can't really compare the pampering that goes on in business class on long-haul flights (both in lounges and on board) where most people have easily spent a 4-digit sum with a rail service like Brightline and expect the same quality of perks

Last edited:
This.

Furthermore, you can't really compare the pampering that goes on in business class on long-haul flights (both in lounges and on board) where most people have easily spent a 4-digit sum with a rail service like Brightline and expect the same quality of perks
At this point Brighline's main competition (aside from driving your own car) is a commuter railroad, Tri-Rail. I've never ridden Tri-Rail, but I suspect that the perks on Brightline far exceed what Tri-Rail offers. We'll get a better idea of the value of a Brightline ride when they start service north of West Palm Beach, and, in that case, we should compare it with the offerings of other intercity corridor rail services, not premium class on a long-haul overseas flight.

At this point Brighline's main competition (aside from driving your own car) is a commuter railroad, Tri-Rail. I've never ridden Tri-Rail, but I suspect that the perks on Brightline far exceed what Tri-Rail offers. We'll get a better idea of the value of a Brightline ride when they start service north of West Palm Beach, and, in that case, we should compare it with the offerings of other intercity corridor rail services, not premium class on a long-haul overseas flight.
Actually then the direct rail competition will be Amtrak Silver Service.

Additionally it would be compared to other corridors of similar length of journey.

It will win some and lose some. If they do an hourly service that would be a big win compared to most existing medium distance corridors in this country outside the NEC and a few California corridors.

I don’t even see Tri-Rail as a competitor since Tri-Rail has more stations in different locations too.

Even when I take public transportation to Palm Beach County (I try not to voluntarily head to Dade County) the Tri-Rail stations are closer to my origin and destination. Thought about Brightline, but Tri-Rail offers more trains (and starts earlier) and is much cheaper. Don’t have to mess around with a security checkpoint or trying to book/reserve a seat on an app either.

Now if I attended a concert in Downtown Miami, Brightline would be the obvious choice. As early as Tri-Rail starts, I always thought their evening schedule was lacking. Maybe they’ll revisit that once service to downtown Miami starts (if it ever does).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back