Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur with Brian. That article is mostly about difficulties being faced by SunRail. It is not saying anything new about Brightline and is not indicating any schedule slippage, though it is trying mighty hard to imply something bad to make it a netter clickbait.
True.
And there does not appear to be much synergy between Sunrain and Brightline, unlike the hosting of Tri-rail by FEC in Miami.

I don't think Sunrail happening or not happening will have much impact on Brightline one way or the other.

I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving. But I don't think Sunrail need necessarily be the base of that, or is necessarily the best tool for the job.

If you can do that sort of thing for less with BRT or Maglev or whatever, I would welcome that too.
The plans call for some sort of monorail or maglev going to International Drive and possibly eventually Disney World as well as SunRail going to downtown and northern suburbs such as Sanford. In order to have a fully developed and effective rail-based transportation system, I believe both are necessary. Whereas one could theoretically extend SunRail along the Maglev route, the costs would be prohibitive to its effectiveness. The same goes for the Maglev on the SunRail corridor, as a heavy rail corridor is in place with stations already in place. However, increased frequencies would be necessary for a SunRail service to the airport. I also believe it makes sense to have all of these systems converge at OIA, as it could serve as a transfer point for all except Amtrak, which would be by far the least trafficked of the trains. I have also heard of plans to have the Maglev/monorail connect to SunRail instead of having SunRail stop at the airport, which could also work. However, I would not prefer this option as the more transfers that are added, the fewer passengers who are willing to ride.

"I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving."

You've obviously never visited San Antonio, Texas.

"I still believe that sooner or later there is going to be a rail-based (or lets call it non-highway, as it could be BRT) urban publc-transportaion system in the Orlando area just because it's just crazy for a multi-centric metro area of that size and significance not to have any attractive alternative to driving."

The only alternative to driving in San Antonio is floating down a river.... And it's not attractive.
From Cesar's article:

Maglev president and CEO, Tony Morris, said last week that his company’s goal is to start train service in late 2019 for the fall convention season.
They're gonna spend $400M in two years without even having a municipally approved plan yet? ROFLOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Or Austin either!

They'll have a screening check for bags. To what extant, I don't know. The whole station will be limited to ticket holders only. They'll have subway style turnstiles where you scan your ticket, before taking the escalator up to the waiting room.

Or Austin either!
I'm not sure what either of you is saying since you don't actually say anything :) but I lived in both cities for six and a half years without a car (or truck :)). Both cities have affordable extensive public transit if one takes the trouble to understand how to use it.

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?

The station is rather striking - why weren't the tracks roofed as well?

Is the statement about highway infrastructure true or a bit hyped up?
The traffic through the West Palm Beach to Miami corridor on both I-95 and the Florida Turnpike which is further west but parallels I95 can be extremely congested all hours of the day specially in the winters months. Brightline has been needed for years.

Congestion on the highway is actually getting pretty bad even north of West Palm beach, all the way to Jupiter and even St. Lucie.

FDOT projects that by 2025 traffic congestion will stretch all the way north to the Melbourne-Palm bay area on I95, even in spite of the frantic addition of a third lane in each direction all the way to Cocoa. Already we have traffic blocked somewhere or the other in Brevard County more than one day a week due to accidents, often fatal, on I-95. Which of course plays havoc on local roads too as clueless people try to find ways around the blockage.

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility. ;)
And it's backfiring real quick. I can't walk two miles in either direction without seeing roadside memorials. That's just in Orlando, I heard its worst in South Florida.

Going to Ft Lauderdale in November on a cruise. We get back to FTL at 7AM but don't want to trust that we can get off and over to the Amtrak station for an 8:30AM Meteor so we'll stay a night in FTL. If Brightline is running, would give us a good chance to take a round trip to Miami to try it out!

Florida is one of those states that still thinks they can pave its way to mobility. ;)
And it's backfiring real quick. I can't walk two miles in either direction without seeing roadside memorials. That's just in Orlando, I heard its worst in South Florida.
Yeah. FDOT thinks that their entire participation in the NOL - ORL service development should consist of sending an occasional FOIA tog et access to all documents of the Southern Rail Commission, as if they are holding back anything from the public in the first place. Idiots.

So, are we hearing anything about a start date? They've said July several times and I know they've got several trainsets in possession now (how many do they need to make the MIA-WBP service a go? Three or four?), but I'm getting antsy...I'll make a minor mess of some travel plans in July to be down there if I can, but that also sort-of requires that I know where I need to be and when I need to be there.

Yes the Jupiter river bridge was double track. In fact at one time most of FEC was double track right hand running. Some track near Jacksonville was single track. No CTC As I recall until after the FEC strike. Plans are the have whole line Miami - Cocoa 2 main tracks bi-directional CTC. Single track CTC with sidings ( spacing unknown ) Cocoa - Orlando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back