Brightline Trains Florida discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another new Brightline set is apparently slated to depart the Siemens plant in Sacramento headed to Florida today (1/25/22). Routing is via UP Overland Route. It will generally follow the same route that the previous set followed.
Any reports on how much damage the existing sets received from the most recent trespasser events? Are they going to immediately put these new sets into the WPB-MIA service?

Any reports on how much damage the existing sets received from the most recent trespasser events? Are they going to immediately put these new sets into the WPB-MIA service?
I have not heard anything. But then I seldom hear anything after the grade crossing incidents. They have become too routine I suppose.

Still no tracks completed to MCO yet, so my assumption is MIA.
Well actually the maintenance facility at WPB. There is nothing in MIA to do any maintenance. The two maintenance and storage facilities are at WPB (now) and OIA when it comes on line.

Is the new set going to WPB or MCO?
Haven't heard anything about which facility it is going to. I guess unless the OIA facility has been staffed, there is no point in sending it there, other than just to store. Acceptance testing at present has to be on the FECR until more of the Cocoa OIA link is up and running.

Well actually the maintenance facility at WPB. There is nothing in MIA to do any maintenance. The two maintenance and storage facilities are at WPB (now) and OIA when it comes on line.

Haven't heard anything about which facility it is going to. I guess unless the OIA facility has been staffed, there is no point in sending it there, other than just to store. Acceptance testing at present has to be on the FECR until more of the Cocoa OIA link is up and running.
A couple of Brightline execs were on local ORL TV this weekend, and one of them said the new Heavy Maintenance Facility would be receiving a trainset in a few weeks. Maybe this is the one.

The video is a 21-minute update on Brightline:
https://www.wftv.com/news/central-florida-spotlight-brightline/0defbbb8-3db1-4e0c-b914-1df949b14ee6/
(Need to click on the speaker icon to turn on audio)

Last edited:
Question about the hopper cars. Soe appear to have a much longer wheel base. The hoppers do appear to all be the same size. Any idea why the longer wheelbase? Only thought was that originally cars were cobbled from another longer base car?

So, apparently they broke ground on the Boca Raton station on Monday. I'm staying at the Hyatt Place across the street [I think it'll technically be closer to the Boca station than the HR at MCO will be to the station there], so I'll try to stick my nose over there.

I have not heard anything. But then I seldom hear anything after the grade crossing incidents. They have become too routine I suppose.

I didn't hear anything but I believe the nose cones on the Siemens locomotives are some sort of plastic or composite and are designed to be detached and replaced easily and I would assume they have spares in stock so I don't expect that the train will spend much time out of use.

A couple of Brightline execs were on local ORL TV this weekend, and one of them said the new Heavy Maintenance Facility would be receiving a trainset in a few weeks. Maybe this is the one.

The video is a 21-minute update on Brightline:
https://www.wftv.com/news/central-florida-spotlight-brightline/0defbbb8-3db1-4e0c-b914-1df949b14ee6/
(Need to click on the speaker icon to turn on audio)
That OIA Maintenance Center as shown in the video does not really look like it is ready to receive a train though.

How many different colors are they going to have trainsets of in the end? Are they going to run out of "Bright" colors when they operate to Tampa?
At present they plan to have ten train sets, two of each of the five colors. What happens with the 11th train? Who knows? Stay tuned when it happens ;)

At Disney, we have all the monorails with a unique color. All 13 look great but then you start to get to Teal, Coral, Peach, etc. idk….It fits the tourist narrative….

It will be interesting to see if they stick with this scheme or develop something entirely new. It was easy with five.

Last edited:
Have they shared plans to lengthen the trains at some point? It seems so odd to see two engines and just 4 passenger cars.

I’m curious about this as well. FDOT released drawings for the Fort Lauderdale Coastal Link/Broward Commuter Rail station and showed Brightline requiring a 500’ platform. When questioned why the proposed platform is shorter than the existing platform FDOT said this is what Brightline indicated they required.

Based on how the Tri-Rail platforms at MiamiCentral are going, it’s hard for me to take Brightline at their word. (And somewhat unrelated, the Director of Tri-Rail has announced his resignation over this issue).

I’m curious about this as well. FDOT released drawings for the Fort Lauderdale Coastal Link/Broward Commuter Rail station and showed Brightline requiring a 500’ platform. When questioned why the proposed platform is shorter than the existing platform FDOT said this is what Brightline indicated they required.

Based on how the Tri-Rail platforms at MiamiCentral are going, it’s hard for me to take Brightline at their word. (And somewhat unrelated, the Director of Tri-Rail has announced his resignation over this issue).
I thought I'd heard that the new trainsets were going to be longer, but obviously they're still just 4 coaches. However, Brightline does have an option to order an additional 30 coaches, according to an article about the current order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back