Brightline Florida update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

joelkfla

Engineer
The deal makers have talked about a station in the South I-Drive area. Assuming they still plan to run the rails down I-4, that could be in the Daryl Carter Pkwy area, or perhaps the former Crossroads Shopping Center that is being taken for the reconstruction of the I-4 - SR535 interchange, either of which is adjacent to I-4 and could be connected to WDW by a shuttle bus. It would have to be worked into the I-4 Beyond Ultimate project design, which I believe currently includes double decking parts of I-4 past Disney.

It would be suitable for commuters, but not so attractive to tourists.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
For one thing it will now be a through station instead of a terminus station. A terminus station never made any sense to me except for the fact that given the previous route alignments that was the only way to get a station on Disney property.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member

west point

Engineer
The additional dispatcher request is difficultto figure out. The number of grade crossing incidents probably much more than anyone thought. Co ordinating with Trirail at Iris Cp may be a problem as well. Dispatchers probably cannot set up changes from one carrier to other greater than 5 minutes.
Now after 'bright line and TriRail go to bred position should be combined. Ay one know the situation of the FLL draw bridge?

joelkfla

Engineer
Full size versions of the maps in that article are downloadable here: https://corporate.sunrail.com/wp-co...p-Brightline-Universal-Presentation-FINAL.pdf

The final map also shows a "Sunbridge Parkway" station east of the airport. This is the first I've heard of that. The section from there to Disney is tiger-striped, but that station is not included on the "Shared Corridor" map, so it's not clear whether that is proposed to be a SunRail or a Brightline station.

west point

Engineer
Full size versions of the maps in that article are downloadable here: https://corporate.sunrail.com/wp-co...p-Brightline-Universal-Presentation-FINAL.pdf

The final map also shows a "Sunbridge Parkway" station east of the airport. This is the first I've heard of that. The section from there to Disney is tiger-striped, but that station is not included on the "Shared Corridor" map, so it's not clear whether that is proposed to be a SunRail or a Brightline station.
Color coding seems to indicate Sun Rail. That is a big puzzle with limited public access. Expect Tri Rail but that would be a very expensive station with a stub end single track station. Stub needed for time for PTC reversal. Cross over turnouts would be needed from south track to north track. then turn out to stub track. Someone's pie in the sky???

blueman271

Lead Service Attendant

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member

SunRail. That is the eastern terminus of the proposed SunRail East-West Corridor.

As it has been conceived I think after a full build out it will be either a single or two platform track between the two mains so that reversal will not involve any conflicts with any opposing traffic on the mains. At present that area is single track so that issue lies somewhere in the future but is easy to plan for without any disruption to anything right now.

Sunbridge Parkway area (you won't find Sunbridge Parkway there in Google Map, since it is yet to be built. Look for where Innovation Way overpass across Beach Line is) is an up and coming industrial area which makes a very reasonable place for the east end of an Orlando commuter service. It will need to be supported by a local circulator bus/van system to connect to the various business locations or clusters. The exit ramp fly overs have been designed with space for a future placement of such a station.

Incidentally, this is also very close to where the connector from the OUC siding to Brightline has been built. The one that is being used by construction material trains now.

Last edited:

bonzoesc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I wonder what happens first, Tri-Rail to downtown or Amtrak to the airport?
If I had to guess, Amtrak to MIA. Tri-Rail’s trials for the downtown station have been pretty amateur hour so far, with talk about having to reshape platform edges and concerns about the stability of the big ramp with heavier trains than Brightline’s brand new sets, while Amtrak’s already doing research about blocking streets with the really long Super Star trains during station stops.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Great question. The structural problems downtown may not be fixable?
The necessary fixes are scheduled to be completed by August of this year. The work is going on at present.

The current unresolved haggling is about dispatching facilities which is yet to be resolved. The Florida Dispatching Company (FDC) which dispatches all of the railroad owned by FECR and Brightline in Florida, wants a setup that Tri-Rail thinks is unnecessary. Of course since the railroad in question is owned by the owners of FDC, Tri-Rail is unlikely to get too far into that station without resolving its differences with FDC first.

VentureForth

Engineer
For one thing it will now be a through station instead of a terminus station. A terminus station never made any sense to me except for the fact that given the previous route alignments that was the only way to get a station on Disney property.
The other thing I read somewhere is that Brightline requires a station that can accommodate (for future growth) a 10-car train that is STRAIGHT. Why can't Brightline have a curved platform?

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The other thing I read somewhere is that Brightline requires a station that can accommodate (for future growth) a 10-car train that is STRAIGHT. Why can't Brightline have a curved platform?
Curved platforms lead to larger than usual gaps between platform and end doors on cars. That is why they are always better to avoid whenever one can. I am sure Brightline will not build a significantly curved high level platform anywhere if they can help it.

BTW, the fact that there was not going to be a station on Disney property was a foregone conclusion once it is decided to proceed from OCC to Tampa along I-4. The previous arrangement with a terminal on Disney property was an odd arrangement because it was the only way to shoehorn a station at a point where the main line would otherwise make a sharp turn to get onto the I-4 alignment.

On the whole the new alignment is a much better one serving many more people than just a Disney property stop

Last edited:

joelkfla

Engineer
Curved platforms lead to larger than usual gaps between platform and end doors on cars. That is why they are always better to avoid whenever one can. I am sure Brightline will not build a significantly curved high level platform anywhere if they can help it.
Every doorway has a built-in gap filler which extends to make the car wheelchair accessible. Maybe the gap fillers are not designed for use at a curved platform, and would leave a gap which would be ADA non-compliant.

bonzoesc

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Every doorway has a built-in gap filler which extends to make the car wheelchair accessible. Maybe the gap fillers are not designed for use at a curved platform, and would leave a gap which would be ADA non-compliant.
That's almost certainly the case, and only having boarding doors at ends of carriages probably makes things worse.

I feel like I've seen gap fillers on the platform side on the Berlin U-Bahn (but can't find pictures of them from Hausvogteiplatz where I would've seen 'em for sure), but NYC has had them too: Why is the Subway at Union Square Platform Curved? - Untapped New York

joelkfla

Engineer
That's almost certainly the case, and only having boarding doors at ends of carriages probably makes things worse.

I feel like I've seen gap fillers on the platform side on the Berlin U-Bahn (but can't find pictures of them from Hausvogteiplatz where I would've seen 'em for sure), but NYC has had them too: Why is the Subway at Union Square Platform Curved? - Untapped New York
The most famous platform-mounted gap fillers on NYTA were at the old South Ferry station, which was on a very tight balloon loop. I think they were activated by the train operator pressing a button outside his window, but retraction seemed to be initiated by the side of the train either hitting a contact switch on each individual filler or physically pushing the filler back.

The station was replaced by a modern stub-end terminal maybe half a block away, but I saw a video of a recent fan trip visiting the old station.

cirdan

Engineer
Cancellation is real. Brightline just shifted to planning a stop "near by" off Disney property. Disney's loss, but calculated. People will still take the train to "near-Disney". Now, Disney won't have to spend a dime - which they don't have very many of these days.
Can brightline serve eminent domain on Disney . That would be a cynical way of saying we are not on Disney property but still in the same location as before ?

cirdan

Engineer
Straight platforms also make it easier for staff to visually check everybody is standing well clear for departure and no coats are caught in doors or anything like that .

VentureForth

Engineer
Straight platforms also make it easier for staff to visually check everybody is standing well clear for departure and no coats are caught in doors or anything like that .
Curved platforms have been all over Japan for nearly a century. Obviously not for 100 years, they use video monitors to see around the train. I don't know when gap fillers suddenly became a big deal EXCEPT for the fact that disability access has skyrocketed in the last couple of decades. I understand the desire for the simplicity, but I don't see the requirement.

Note: I was looking for curved Shinkansen stations, and I can't seem to find any. That being said, the trains are so long, they still need monitors to see all the doors (which happen to be at the ends of the carriages). They also employ platform "conductors"(?) who flag the conductor that things are good to go (along with the electronic validations - lights outside doors, in-cab, etc).

Curved platforms have been all over Japan for nearly a century. Obviously not for 100 years, they use video monitors to see around the train. I don't know when gap fillers suddenly became a big deal EXCEPT for the fact that disability access has skyrocketed in the last couple of decades. I understand the desire for the simplicity, but I don't see the requirement.

Note: I was looking for curved Shinkansen stations, and I can't seem to find any. That being said, the trains are so long, they still need monitors to see all the doors (which happen to be at the ends of the carriages). They also employ platform "conductors"(?) who flag the conductor that things are good to go (along with the electronic validations - lights outside doors, in-cab, etc).
I noticed this. Stations in Japan are sometimes straight but individual platforms are curved.

With google earth it’s hard to tell which platforms belong to which lines sometimes. Plenty of curved platforms, but those are often regional lines.

Brightline trains are never going to be all that long though. 10 cars at best, so it’s not a huge deal.

Edit- check out Tokyo platforms on the eastern side. I think those are Shinkansen and they are curved.