Brightline Orlando Extension

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Which is how Disney is trying to do it too.

Use other people money, but be sure to pay yourself first.
It would be interesting to see what the deal between Disney and Brightline looks like. Of course, the fact that Brightline intended tog et to I-4 via the 417 Corridor anyway makes a slight detour to Disney a much less onerous proposition than trying to convince them to go via the route that Rick Scott rejected money for in the first round of Orlando Tampa HSR saga. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
AU Supporter
Tired of how the world work. Call it a tribute, a bribe, or a non-competition agreement. It all the same.

joelkfla

OBS Chief
It would be interesting to see what the deal between Disney and Brightline looks like. Of course, the fact that Brightline intended tog et to I-4 via the 417 Corridor anyway makes a slight detour to Disney a much less onerous proposition than trying to convince them to go via the route that Rick Scott rejected money for in the first round of Orlando Tampa HSR saga. 🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure there's anything nefarious about it, or even that any money is changing hands. Increasing visitation from So. FL is naturally beneficial to both companies.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
In Melbourne FL, I went by the Crane Creek Bridge construction site. The high level structure is just for staging construction equipment. The actual new bridge structure is between it and the original bridge. All the piers are in place. That is what will carry the new tracks I guess. Not clear to me whether it is a single track bridge augmenting the existing track or there will be additional cross beams over each pier supporting a double track superstructure. Should become obvious in a bit

IMG_6978.jpg

Construction materials staged on the high level structure.

IMG_6979.jpg

The concrete piers for the new bridge.

At Eu Gallie Creek they may be doing something similar eventually. The construction there is lagging this one a bit as it would appear.

Now to go and check out what is going on at Sebastian River down south. That is a much longer trestle. I have to go to a family get together in Sebastian this weekend anyway, so will have a chance to check it out without doing a trip just for that.

Last edited:

VentureForth

Conductor
That still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why not start construction replacing the long abandoned second track trestle that already meets the alignment? Maybe the original alignment isn't recoverable...

I know there are smarter people than me planning all this. Just curious to learn.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
They had said earlier on that they were going to "replace" this trestle, which might mean that after they have buikt the one track new trestle, they will tear down the old trestle and build a second one track new trestle in its place. I am just speculating. I have no special inside knowledge.

Brian_tampa

Lead Service Attendant
I remember reading somewhere that the current double track bridges would be replaced with 2 single track bridge structures. The temporary trestle is for the crane to remove the existing structure and install the new bridge components. I am not sure if they will build a second temporary construction trestle on the opposite side once the first new bridge is in place. I can't see how they could build the second bridge opposite of the new bridge (and existing construction trestle) without significant disruption to train operations.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I remember reading somewhere that the current double track bridges would be replaced with 2 single track bridge structures. The temporary trestle is for the crane to remove the existing structure and install the new bridge components. I am not sure if they will build a second temporary construction trestle on the opposite side once the first new bridge is in place. I can't see how they could build the second bridge opposite of the new bridge (and existing construction trestle) without significant disruption to train operations.
I think this single temporary trestle will serve both new trestles, and dismantling of the existing bridge which is on the other side of the first new trestle, but still pretty close by and within easy reach of a crane anchored in to the staging temporary trestle.

There are no more than two or three trains a day through there at present, mostly at night too. I can normally hear their distant horn which they blow for the Palm Bay Road, Port Malabar Road and Malabar Road crossings.

west point

Conductor
This poster suspects that the bridges need replacing for several reasons.
1. The FEC was built mainly as a passenger carrier with light weight trains and the bridges need replacing for the heavier freights that have been on the rails for many years.
2. Brightline will travel at a much higher speed and the bridge(s) need to be able to handle a full emergency braking on the bridge.
3. Bridge(s) may be at or near the end of their service life.
4. Clearances may be increased above mean high water to allow for any climate caused higher tides ?
5. maybe give some pleasure boats more clearance to keep populaces happier with more trains ?

cirdan

Conductor
I think this single temporary trestle will serve both new trestles, and dismantling of the existing bridge which is on the other side of the first new trestle, but still pretty close by and within easy reach of a crane anchored in to the staging temporary trestle.
... although that would mean lifting heavy stuff over an active rail line?

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
... although that would mean lifting heavy stuff over an active rail line?
There are only three or four trains a day. There will be long stretches of inactivity to schedule the heavy lifting in.

AFAICT only heavy stuff that will be lifted across the new bridge are the new girder beams which are staged on the temporary trestle. The old bridge will be dismantled and pieces lowered onto barges to carry away for scrapping.

If the new pillars are any indication I don’t believe there will be any change in the level at which the tracks will be. There may be marginally greater clearance under the bridge due to the use of more modern thinner girder beams. There is very little leisure boat traffic west of the bridge. All of it pretty much stops at the Melbourne Yacht Club Marina east of the the Rt. 1 bridge. Only small outborad motor boats and such occasionally go further up river. No tall crafts. Crane Creek is not a designated Naval Waterway.

Last edited:

joelkfla

OBS Chief
May 2021 update to CFX board:
  • PTC on Miami to WPB expected to be complete by November
  • Resumption of service by end of year
  • WPB to Orlando construction 54% complete
  • OIA to Disney design at 30% complete
  • Disney to Tampa in conceptual design stage
  • Orlando Vehicle Maintenance Facility could be used by SunRail or Amtrak
  • Innovation Way (east of OIA) to Disney is being built to allow for future double tracking to support potential SunRail sharing
Slides are in attached PDF.

Video: Brightline update starts @12:35

Attachments

Last edited: