Brightline Orlando extension

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know too much about Steve Jobs and Apple's earnings, but in terms of popularity among customers, Apple had been consistently Number Two worldwide, mostly because they insist on selling both the hardware and software together at a higher price than the competition. The last time I used an iPhone, it was OK, but it wasn't worth paying a premium over the price of the Android phone I normally use. And the price premium on laptop computers is such that I'm perfectly happy with using PC technology with either Windows of Linux.

As far as Walt Disney as a theme park impresario, remember that he was active in the theme park business in the 1950s and 1960s when business conditions were a lot different than they are now. For one thing, Disney parks had much less competition than they do now, for another, the times were an era of economic expansion and broad prosperity. There was a lot more latitude for leaders with "vision" to make mistakes and stay in business. It's not clear how well he would do as a businessman under today's conditions.

Seeing as how you regularly suggest Amtrak trains shouldn’t have any food service or other amenities I’m not surprised you’re happy with an Android ;)

Looking at the route charts on Slide 11 the area of the wash seems to strongly suggest that there will be a stub end station at Disney accessible from both Tampa and OIA and there will be a bypass track for direct Tampa - OIA trains. Only a more detailed EIS will clarify what will actually happen.

I believe Tim Cook is way more than just a "manager with a calculator" though. 🤷‍♂️
There are a lot of Apple owners that might disagree, but I'm not one (an Apple owner). Forced upgrades due to battery obsolescence is not an Apple-only problem, but they may have invented it. Without Jobs they're not the same company and profit is definitely a motivation.

I live in Florida (and have for nearly 60 years) and have not been to Disney since the early 1970's - and do not plan on going anytime soon ... I also do not use an iPhone.

To me, it makes no difference if/when there may be a WDW stop for Brightline. I would like to see them get the line finished to Tampa and then to Jacksonville - that would make it "useful" for me more than getting to WDW will.

With Walt in charge, Disney might not have been as much of a net moneymaker as it is now. It's not like the use of buses are keeping people from patronizing the place, and if stinky diesel fumes are a problem, tier IV diesel or LNG or Hybrid buses are a lot cheaper than building a monorail.

From what I was told, Disney has mentioned CNG buses, but they don't want to pay for a fueling station for those type of buses. Buses using CNG fuel or hybrid buses are far more expensive then "clean diesel" buses and I use that term clean diesel loosely. Disney is basically doing whatever to save money at the moment, so I don't expect much investment in their bus fleet. I would hope they expand their monorail, but I do like to dream sometimes.

I live in Florida (and have for nearly 60 years) and have not been to Disney since the early 1970's - and do not plan on going anytime soon ... I also do not use an iPhone.

To me, it makes no difference if/when there may be a WDW stop for Brightline. I would like to see them get the line finished to Tampa and then to Jacksonville - that would make it "useful" for me more than getting to WDW will.

That’s a shame. I love visiting Disney and have used Amtrak to visit both Disney World and Disneyland both times. Disney is one of the best “transportation museums” in the USA - especially the original Disneyland park.

Steam trains, Steamboat, horse Drawn streetcar, Omni bus, the first monorail system in the Western Hemisphere... I miss it! :)

Dunno. I live less than an hour from Disney World and get a Florida resident discount too, but the last time I went there was six years back, that too because a business meeting was hosted at one of the Disney hotels. I might again go there some day, but it is not one of my must do items.

I think Disney lost touch with their core clientele years ago. We used to go every year (yes, every and usually on Amtrak) when our kids were younger. The milestones for their decline will be different for everyone, but two that resonated for us: "lifetime" tickets that expire and construction "bricks" for Epcot that came with passes not honored without an argument and then at half-value. It used to be a great place to visit; now just another money-grubbing theme park. Don't get me started on Universal!

Seeing as how you regularly suggest Amtrak trains shouldn’t have any food service or other amenities I’m not surprised you’re happy with an Android ;)
...and just as most device users in the world seem to be happy with an Android, so, to, most rail passengers in the world are OK without having to have a culinary experience in addition to getting where they need to go. :)

Anyway, I did have the opportunity to try an iPhone. It was OK, but the experience was not much different from the Android phone I usually use.

I use that term clean diesel loosely.

Having spent some time on the track testing 18-wheelers from Tier I 1998 models to Tier IV 2015 model year trucks, I can say that the Tier IV trucks are not at all smoky and stinky in the way that we all expect diesel engines to be. :) Of course, being diesels and burning fossil fuels, they are not exactly a poster child for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, unless perhaps they use B100 biodiesel, which I don't think anybody does.

Having spent some time on the track testing 18-wheelers from Tier I 1998 models to Tier IV 2015 model year trucks, I can say that the Tier IV trucks are not at all smoky and stinky in the way that we all expect diesel engines to be. :) Of course, being diesels and burning fossil fuels, they are not exactly a poster child for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, unless perhaps they use B100 biodiesel, which I don't think anybody does.
Disney buses have been using a biodiesel blend for many years. I don't know what the ratio is of bio to diesel.

In an early trial, the bio came from waste frying oil. The refueling station smelled like a McDonald's. :)

Looking at the route charts on Slide 11 the area of the wash seems to strongly suggest that there will be a stub end station at Disney accessible from both Tampa and OIA and there will be a bypass track for direct Tampa - OIA trains. Only a more detailed EIS will clarify what will actually happen.
I don't know about a bypass track, but a stub-end station is likely. IIRC the concept art showed that. The Brightline trainsets have engines at both ends and fixed 50/50 seating, so they can easily pull into WDW from the airport, and reverse out on to Tampa.

I don't know about a bypass track, but a stub-end station is likely. IIRC the concept art showed that. The Brightline trainsets have engines at both ends and fixed 50/50 seating, so they can easily pull into WDW from the airport, and reverse out on to Tampa.
Brightline always planned to have trains with engines at both ends. That has nothing to do with WDW. That is the way it has been from the beginning. That is what the Miami - WPB service was and will be again later this year.

Brightline always planned to have trains with engines at both ends. That has nothing to do with WDW. That is the way it has been from the beginning. That is what the Miami - WPB service was and will be again later this year.
A concept that makes sense a lot of places. VIA has at least two corridor trains that have short turnarounds at end-points where this is in action, and on Amtrak look no further than Michigan. (This is specific to two locomotives, as opposed to cab-cars and NPCU's.)

A concept that makes sense a lot of places. VIA has at least two corridor trains that have short turnarounds at end-points where this is in action, and on Amtrak look no further than Michigan. (This is specific to two locomotives, as opposed to cab-cars and NPCU's.)
And of course on the NEC there are the Acelas, and Keystones and the Springfield service as far as Amtrak goes.

In the northeast and in Florida all commuter agencies use push-pull when they are not using outright EMUs. One finds mostly cab car at one end push-pull, while there are cases of locomotives at both ends too (e.g. LIRR double length train Montauk Service).

I’ve already used Brightline to get to Disney World. Just had to transfer to the Silver Star and then get an Uber from Kissimmee lol.

I wasn't saying WDW is the reason for two engines. I was saying that because they have 2 engines, a stub end station is not a problem.

That’s a shame. I love visiting Disney and have used Amtrak to visit both Disney World and Disneyland both times. Disney is one of the best “transportation museums” in the USA - especially the original Disneyland park.

Steam trains, Steamboat, horse Drawn streetcar, Omni bus, the first monorail system in the Western Hemisphere... I miss it! :)
This is one of the only two reasons I liked Disneyland -- the way it was basically a museum or showcase of transportation. The other was the silent fireworks shows (I like fireworks; I do not like loud bangs). I suppose many people have gone there for other reasons, but Walt himself was basically building a very large model railway and letting other people play with it, and that, I find attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back