Brightline Orlando extension

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like beans in my meal-chili, but not in my hot dog chili. And not to be confused with chiles which are peppers popular in New Mexico. Red or Green? The NM state question.
Agree with the Hatch Chiles from NM, we have a Special Hatch Month here in Texas where they feature them in lots of different types of food!😍

Brightline to run commuter service in Miami (Miami's North East Corridor from Miami Central to Aventura), possibly under a separate subsidiary with different branding and different rolling stock from the ones to be used for service to Orlando.

Add in a new name too “North East Corridor” is taken.

That the two comments post already show a need for better information management from this project/idea.

Last edited:
Brightline to run commuter service in Miami (Miami's North East Corridor from Miami Central to Aventura), possibly under a separate subsidiary with different branding and different rolling stock from the ones to be used for service to Orlando.

https://www.miamitodaynews.com/2021...uildout-brightline-to-run-new-intercity-rail/
Got me confused...I thought that they recently were building or had built connections for Tri-Rail to use the FEC tracks as an alternate route to WPB...
So soon there will be four rail operators (counting Amtrak) running north out of Miami?

Got me confused...I thought that they recently were building or had built connections for Tri-Rail to use the FEC tracks as an alternate route to WPB...
So soon there will be four rail operators (counting Amtrak) running north out of Miami?
Tri-Rail connection is to Tri-Rail service on ex-CSX. The North East Corridor Commuter Service is on the FECR to be operated by a Brightline subsidiary apparently.

I think Disney lost touch with their core clientele years ago. [...] Don't get me started on Universal!
Universal and Six Flags have their own issues but at least the Fastpass cards work on more than three rides per day. If Disney sold an Unlimited Fastpass for all but the newest rides I'd probably give it another try.

Last edited:
Tri-Rail connection is to Tri-Rail service on ex-CSX. The North East Corridor Commuter Service is on the FECR to be operated by a Brightline subsidiary apparently.
So where is Tri-Rail going on FEC? Up towards Jupiter?

So where is Tri-Rail going on FEC? Up towards Jupiter?
No. Currently half of Tri-Rails service on its ex-CSX line will terminate at the Airport and the other half at Miami Central.

Brightline subsidiary will operate the Miami Central - Aventura Commuter Service, perhaps even extending to Fort Lauderdale. Rolling Stock YTBD.

Some day Tri-Rail might get to extend its service from WPB to Jupiter using the new (already in service) crossover between Tri-Rail and FECR between WPB and Mangonia Park.

Also some day some of the Brightline service may cross over to terminate at the Airport MIC. That will require the construction of a new connector on the southeast quadrant of Iris and will involve some property condemnation.

I found myself playing that fun game of speculating what "different rolling stock" meant. Ben Porritt of Brightline gave a talk at the High-Speed Rail Alliance's lunch series, and apparently that probably just means tri-rail rolling stock.

The whole talk is interesting but one other thing that was new to me at least is that they are in talks with Broward county for a similar commuter rail service to the one they negotiated with Miami-Dade.

No. Currently half of Tri-Rails service on its ex-CSX line will terminate at the Airport and the other half at Miami Central.

Brightline subsidiary will operate the Miami Central - Aventura Commuter Service, perhaps even extending to Fort Lauderdale. Rolling Stock YTBD.

Some day Tri-Rail might get to extend its service from WPB to Jupiter using the new (already in service) crossover between Tri-Rail and FECR between WPB and Mangonia Park.

Also some day some of the Brightline service may cross over to terminate at the Airport MIC. That will require the construction of a new connector on the southeast quadrant of Iris and will involve some property condemnation.
Okay, I think I got it now...the Tri-Rail on FEC, will be on the south end (for now)...just to get to Miami Central, right?

Reactions: jis
Okay, I think I got it now...the Tri-Rail on FEC, will be on the south end (for now)...just to get to Miami Central, right?
Correct. If you look at the current Tri-Rail route map, trains that go to MiamiCentral will leave the CSX tracks south of the Metrorail Transfer and head directly to MiamiCentral. Trains headed to the Airport will continue along the original route.

Reactions: jis
Any chance Tri-Rail would ever attempt to extend south to Homestead?

I was hoping the Florida crew would speak up. Your the first person that I have ever heard speak about Homestead. So, no plans to extend south. Best my knowledge there use to be tracks heading to Key West, but not sure any of the ROW still exists. No train service south of Miami since steam train ran. Feel free to correct me.

It could be done, but I thinking it a start from scratch thing. No bike path to convert, no old railroad tracks to rebuild, no ROW to reclaim from the trees/swamp. Lots of money needed.

I was hoping the Florida crew would speak up. Your the first person that I have ever heard speak about Homestead. So, no plans to extend south. Best my knowledge there use to be tracks heading to Key West, but not sure any of the ROW still exists. No train service south of Miami since steam train ran. Feel free to correct me.

It could be done, but I thinking it a start from scratch thing. No bike path to convert, no old railroad tracks to rebuild, no ROW to reclaim from the trees/swamp. Lots of money needed.
There still is a freight line down as far as Homestead, if I'm reading the map correctly, although it might be a 'ten mph' type track....
https://fdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/index.html?appid=7a6607e0da27427b80425880107d3586

Last edited:

Yes Key West used to be served by rail. However the Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 destroyed the railroad. FEC sold the right of way to the state and the state used what infrastructure remained to build the Overseas Highway, which still exists today.

There are tracks to Homestead, which if memory serves branch off the CSX line just north of the airport station, run parallel to the southern edge of the airport and eventually turn south. I have no idea who owns them, what they are used for, or what condition they are in. My memory is from the last time I lived there which was 2003.

Edited because I can’t spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back