Brighton, Sussex, England - Cafe recommendation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
If you are ever in Brighton, UK and looking for an informal cafe by the seashore but only 400 yards east of the Palace Pier then try the Madeira Cafe at 15-16 Madeira Drive, on the lower level of Marine Parade.

Excellent good quality food at reasonable prices where everyone is treated as the individual you are. Very obliging owner operator Ted or Greg? makes a visit memorable.

It is listed as a vintage biker eatery but that wasn't the impression we got nor did we see any motorcycles, maybe at the weekend it is different?

I asked Ted/Greg what were the opening hours, he came back with "when the weather is good". I did say this is an easy going town. Other's in our party ate meat burger type food, I wanted a veggie something but as it was the end of the afternoon he was out of suitable fare except mushy peas. So I tried his first ever 'Mushy Pea Burger' which tasted very good but have to say it's still in the experimental stage.

Madeira Cafe Brighton.jpg

Brighton is an English seaside town on the south coast where tolerance is the keyword to living or visiting, it is also generally very friendly too.

In US terms it reminds me of a cross between San Francisco of a few years ago, Monterey CA and Venice Beach CA. It also has some interesting and a few spectacular pieces of architecture just to confuse as this town is very hard to categorise.
If you are looking for somewhere different to visit in the UK this could be it.

We are moving from central France in about 2 years time and looking for somewhere interesting and tolerant to live. Brighton fits the bill on most counts... but so does Monterey CA, San Luis Obispo CA, Waterford Ireland and Ceret, France.

Oh my this brings back memories.

My grandmother retired to Hove, a town next to Brighton (but now I gather the two are joined), and my mother and I spent a couple of summers in the 60s visiting her.

I remember taking the train for day trips to London, eating Brighton Rock candy (sold I think near where your cafe is—at least I remember buying it on a lower-level path), walking on paths along the Downs, having fish and chips as a treat (wrapped in newspaper), having afternoon tea (and cakes!) as another treat in the Lanes, going through the Royal Pavilion, and of course enjoying being by the sea.

I imagine it is very different now, but hopefully some of those things are still there, along with some nice new ones like the cafe you mention.

I haven't been to Brighton, but I've read a Graham Greene novel that takes place there, "Brighton Rock."

Me too a while ago, I think it was a hard book to read? My first connection was in the 'Mods and Rockers' era though, something different.
It's a pretty big town for a seaside town, but small town feel where people who have never met say hello, how are you. There are lots of visitors too, eclectic mix.

Oh my this brings back memories.

My grandmother retired to Hove, a town next to Brighton (but now I gather the two are joined), and my mother and I spent a couple of summers in the 60s visiting her.

I remember taking the train for day trips to London, eating Brighton Rock candy (sold I think near where your cafe is—at least I remember buying it on a lower-level path), walking on paths along the Downs, having fish and chips as a treat (wrapped in newspaper), having afternoon tea (and cakes!) as another treat in the Lanes, going through the Royal Pavilion, and of course enjoying being by the sea.

I imagine it is very different now, but hopefully some of those things are still there, along with some nice new ones like the cafe you mention.

Yes it has developed a little since you were there, but basically it remains similar, just welcomes an even broader array of people.

Weren't you the lucky one to spend vacations there, were you living in the US then? BTW, yes Brighton Rock is still sold in the same place.

Weren't you the lucky one to spend vacations there, were you living in the US then? BTW, yes Brighton Rock is still sold in the same place.

My mother was a war bride, so when she married my father, she moved to the U.S. from London. My father promised my grandmother that she would see her daughter every year and he kept that promise. Each year either my mother went over there for a couple of months or my grandmother came to stay with us for several months.

I was just lucky to tag along for those two summers!

That’s nice to know about Brighton Rock!

My mother was a war bride, so when she married my father, she moved to the U.S. from London. My father promised my grandmother that she would see her daughter every year and he kept that promise. Each year either my mother went over there for a couple of months or my grandmother came to stay with us for several months.

I was just lucky to tag along for those two summers!

That’s nice to know about Brighton Rock!

That's a very nice story. Does this still look familiar? Taken 17 March 2022

Brighton-Palace-Pier153828a.jpg

I have a very good English friend who I've travelled extensively with. We've done air, rail and auto excursions all over the place, with one being a train round-trip to Brighton. While there we dined at one of the restaurants featured in Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (the original UK one) and toured the town on foot. He's moved to the US now, which has reduced my UK travel, so this brought back a great memory.

We used a hire car from Heathrow to Brighton, about the same expense as the Heathrow Express, a cross-town taxi, the train to Brighton (sometimes clogged with outbound Gatwick people) and taxi to the hotel. It saved the luggage-handling and was somewhat scenic. After our stay we took the train up to London (and were joined by a mob at Gatwick). Brighton was great fun.

Late to the party, I am on holiday in Cyprus just now...

Just wondering how difficult it would be to move full time to any of the USA locations mentioned?

Thinking from a residency permit point of view?

Late to the party, I am on holiday in Cyprus just now...

Just wondering how difficult it would be to move full time to any of the USA locations mentioned?

Thinking from a residency permit point of view?

Finances may play a big part in that, plus if the cost of health care was affordable. We're not looking into the deepest detail until we settle on a place we both like and think we can afford to move to. We are on a low budget which will probably rule out some places, we are just at the searching for 'likes' for now.

Is it a coincidence that you are in Cyprus at the moment? Isn't that the place where the oligarchs are moving their assets and yachts to?

Have a great time, this is your first 'abroad' trip since Covid isn't it?

My husband lived in the UK for his first three plus decades. He was a mad-keen cyclist (push-bikes, of course) as a kid, and used to cycle from Cheam in Surrey down to Brighton, buy a stick of Brighton Rock as proof he made it there, and cycle back. He was nine at the time. I suspect no parent in their right mind would allow this today...

My husband lived in the UK for his first three plus decades. He was a mad-keen cyclist (push-bikes, of course) as a kid, and used to cycle from Cheam in Surrey down to Brighton, buy a stick of Brighton Rock as proof he made it there, and cycle back. He was nine at the time. I suspect no parent in their right mind would allow this today...

What an adventure for a 9 year old, I can relate to that. I don't think children have changed as much as parents attitudes.
Have to admit we did buy a stick of Brighton Rock last week, how can you not.

Anyway, I tip my hat to your hubby, that journey would be a challenge for a fit adult.

I'm amazed at how many here have read Brighton Rock. Partly due to having read it, I took my girlfriend on a day trip out of Victoria Station to wet and windy Brighton on April 5, 1970. Brighton was interesting, reminded me of Seaside, Oregon on a grand scale.

View attachment 27706
View attachment 27707
View attachment 27708
View attachment 27709

Love the photos Willbridge especially the last one, in the main it's still the same

Is it a coincidence that you are in Cyprus at the moment? Isn't that the place where the oligarchs are moving their assets and yachts to?
Have a great time, this is your first 'abroad' trip since Covid isn't it?
I am in the Greek half of Cyprus, I think the Turkish part is more oligarch friendly. Funny enough though I have a trip to Turkey mainland booked for April...😉
I had a holiday to Spain, and a quick visit to Dublin also, since Covid.

Love the 1970's shots of Brighton, looks like some hippy types near the bus?
I think that is a Triumph Herald outside the Grand Hotel... I hope it has not got Irish number plates?

I am in the Greek half of Cyprus, I think the Turkish part is more oligarch friendly. Funny enough though I have a trip to Turkey mainland booked for April...😉
I had a holiday to Spain, and a quick visit to Dublin also, since Covid.

I think that is a Triumph Herald outside the Grand Hotel... I hope it has not got Irish number plates?

I forgot you had been to Spain, sorry.

I think that is a Triumph Herald outside the Grand Hotel... I hope it has not got Irish number plates.

Good catch re the Irish. I took the photo before the Provisionals redecorated the facade. I wondered if someone would spot that.

Sometimes I think of starting a thread titled "Places we enjoyed that were subsequently blown up." Sadly, it will be a long thread, although there likely would be stories worthy of Graham Greene.

Me too a while ago, I think it was a hard book to read? My first connection was in the 'Mods and Rockers' era though, something different.
It's a pretty big town for a seaside town, but small town feel where people who have never met say hello, how are you. There are lots of visitors too, eclectic mix.

I’ve had two trips to Brighton that were cancelled since 2019. I was looking forward to visit the city and attend a music show at the Concorde 2 a small venue at 286a Madeira. Delta Airlines still has my money so I’m still looking forward to the visit. Hopefully this year

MODERATOR NOTE: this thread has been locked due to the fact that numerous off topic comments have been posted and that the thread appears to have run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back