Bring a packed tent on Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
So I'm taking the train from chi to mke. I plan to continue my journey to the northwoods for some camping. Can I bring a small tent, all packed up in the tent bag on amtrak?

Sounds like a backpacking tent -- should be no problem at all. My backpacking tents weigh five or six pounds, which is way below Amtrak's limit for a piece of luggage. Will it be strapped to a pack, or have you a way to put straps on it to make it convenient for you to carry along with your other stuff?

In practice, if it fits in/on your pack, can be tied to your luggage, or is one of your two allowed pieces (plus personal items like purse, computer bag or messenger bag), there will not be any issues.

I've brought my small (but not backpacking) tent in my luggage many times no problem. I have a large size LL Bean roller duffel and all my camping equipment (including tent, Thermarest pad, light-weight sleeping bag, hiking boots, cooking gear, etc.) fits inside it easily. It's well under the size and weight limits and fits in the over-the-corridor space in a Viewliner-I roomette.

One time on the EB, my SCA put it in some external cubby hole, or possibly in the baggage car for me when I told her I wouldn't need it until I got to Seattle. She went outside with it (so didn't drag it through the other sleepers to the baggage car), and was only gone for a few seconds. Worrisomely, the train stopped about a mile north of CUS because something wasn't secured and I had paranoia that my duffel had fallen out, but there is was on the luggage cart when we got to Seattle.) I've noticed there are some doors above the trucks on the lower level of Superliner sleepers... Does anyone know if there is additional stowage in there or are those doors just for some sort of equipment access? I thought at the time that was where she put my camping bag, but I didn't actually see her do it.

The only think I don't pack is fuel for my stove, which I think is illegal. I buy some on arrival and if I have any left, there are always people who can use it at virtually every place I've ever gone camping, so it never goes to waste.

Back