Bringing a Flat Screen TV

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm moving to San Diego and I was wondering if I can bring my flat screen HDTV with me. It's a 47 inch Vizio brand and it's not really that heavy. I've checked the schedule for this coming Monday and there four transfers. First, few times on bus transfers and twice for train. Is it possible to bring the TV and have anyone even tried this before?

So I called while I was posting this and they do not allow it at all. But we ask about the desktop computers, I have two towers and they said we're able to bring it. I'm looking for other options and I guess shipping the TV by UPS would suffice. Probably including a box. I'm trying to minimize the stuff to bring so my traveling can be a little easier and less worries.

Another question that I'm wondering is that do they have a storage of some sort for bus and train? I've looked up the schedule for info and all and two bags are free and it's an additional charge of $20 for another bag.

You can check 2 bags free, each additional bag is $20 to check, plus you can carry on 2 bags. On the train, checked bags are carried in the baggage car, and there is storage space in the coach/sleeper for your carry on baggage. On the bus, all bags (including carry-ons) are carried in the storage bins under the bus. No bags can exceed 50 lbs each!

Yes, 2 per person.

And each bag must not exceed 50 pounds each. If one weighs 53 lbs and the other weighs 17 lbs, you must either transfer something out of the 53 lb bag or leave it behind. Unless the bag is under 50 lbs, it will not be accepted!

Theoretically, you're not supposed to bring aboard anything on Amtrak simply to relocate. I don't know exactly how they enforce it, but someone checking in a moving box would probably be pretty obvious.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1251621565015

Packing Your Luggage

Prior to arriving at the station, ensure your baggage items are packed appropriately, in suitable containers for transport as specified below:

• Contents must be necessary for wear, use, comfort, or convenience of the passenger for the purpose of the trip; items being transported for business or resident relocation not accepted
I don't know how this is applied. I suppose one could be traveling and bringing along gifts. However, if it's the same type of item that's being brought to move to a new home, that's technically a violation of their policy. I suppose enough clothes for the journey and a few days at the new place is OK, but shipping boxes filled with clothes isn't.

I think Amtrak has shipping services that could be used for a move.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267371736

Not as big as what you are talking, but this guy brought one on the Texas Eagle last summer along with his Xbox...

IMG_1947e.jpg

Woah woah hold on. I'm trying to find a low-wattage immersion heater and this guy's bringing a game console? That's it, I'm bringing a grill.

Woah woah hold on. I'm trying to find a low-wattage immersion heater and this guy's bringing a game console? That's it, I'm bringing a grill.
Tailgate party in the SSL!

i wish i had a photo from the early 80's when i used t haul my Apple ][e on the CZ. I would set up in the lounge car and folks went nuts. Probably did it three or four dozen times - the trick was finding one of the two outlets upstairs. I also remember breaking a disk drive door - and not knowing my way enough, walked UP Russian hill in CZ getting real close to a heart attack. I thought i had died and gone to heaven when the ][C came out.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Guys. This is not my Batman cup! Also, bus/train planned trip is canceled. Would love to do the travel but we have chosen an alternative.

i wish i had a photo from the early 80's when i used t haul my Apple ][e on the CZ. I would set up in the lounge car and folks went nuts. Probably did it three or four dozen times - the trick was finding one of the two outlets upstairs. I also remember breaking a disk drive door - and not knowing my way enough, walked UP Russian hill in CZ getting real close to a heart attack. I thought i had died and gone to heaven when the ][C came out.
Ah, the paleocomputer experience! I remember once in the mid 90s was was in SF to give a talk and the day before the talk I went through my slides (these were physical slides in a "carouse"l) and noticed a major mistake on one of them. Fortunately, I had the "floppy disk" with the slide images. I wasn't using PowerPoint at this point, I was crafting individual slides using CorelDraw and having them scanned and made into physical transparencies by a "service bureau." Fortunately, I found a copy of the "Yellow Pages" (i.e., the physical book) and found a place that was located reasonably close to the convention center. Then I found a "pay phone," called the place and determined that they could so the work. That meant I had to ride a very crowded trolleybus over to the place, which was somewhere around Telegraph Hill, and use their desktop computer (4 MB RAM, 486-33 processor running "Windows 3.1") to fix the problem and arranging to pick up the new slide the next day.

For those of you youngster who wonder why I was riding something as modern as a "trolleybus" back in the days when one used "carousels," "floppy disks," "yellow pages," "pay phones," and "Windows 3.1" on a "486-33 processor," you need to learn more about the history of technology deployment. :) In the real primitive days when one would ride a horse-drawn hansom cab from the convention center to the service bureau, the slides were hand-drawn by a "technical illustrator" using data analyses generated from input of "punched cards" and calculated by an "IBM 360" controlled by "JCL." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back