Bringing Sword and Gun props on Amtrak train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody!

This is my first time planning to travel by the Amtrak train (San Jose to Los Angeles) and I have a question regarding weapon props on the train (more specifically the 11 coast starlight train). I'll be taking the Superliner roomette reservation.

I'm planning to bring 3 weapon props. Here are two of the weapon props photo (they both fit in my luggage). The sword is made of wood and the gun is made up of foam and wood. Both of these props were made from scratch by my commissioner and are for costume purpose only. Would these be allowed? The gun cannot shoot nor was it able to shoot anytime it was made and the sword does not take edge (ex. cannot cut anything; not even a paper). Also, the gun can be detached (The handle, ammo clip, and barrel all can be detached from each other).

As for my 3rd weapon prop, I can't post a picture of it yet as it's still being made (but I posted a picture of what it would sort of look like; It's the third photo below). However, it's basically going to be made out of the same material as the first sword in the picture (made out of wood and cannot cut anything). The problem with my 3rd weapon prop is that it's 138 cm (54 inches) and it cannot fit in my luggage and I'm not sure how to transport it. Would anyone know how to transport such a long sword that follows Amtrak's guideline?

luke_fon_fabre_sword_by_meanlilkitty-d660so5.jpg

mafia_graves_gun_by_meanlilkitty-d660r2g.jpg

noctis___sword__top_by_laitz-d4kxgy7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could pack the longer sword in a box and check it from San Jose to Los Angeles. I think it's around $10 to check something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have them in boxes, cases, luggage pieces, or whatever, just so long as the do not look like weapon cases. This thought has absolutely no basis in their rules, just what I think would make sense. DO NOT pull them out or wave them around. We obviously have lawmen out here who cannot tell the difference between real and fake weapons no matter how unrealistic they may look.

You could pack the longer sword in a box and check it from San Jose to Los Angeles. I think it's around $10 to check something like that.
When my sword is finished my commissioner is going to ship it to me. I was planning to use the same box but then I saw this on Amtrak's policy.

- "Examples of unsuitable containers include (but are not limited to) trash bags, large packing boxes, containers that let sharp/pointed items protrude, or containers that cannot securely hold contents or prevent exposure to weather."

I just assumed that they don't allow shipping boxes and that you must bring a luggage.

Have them in boxes, cases, luggage pieces, or whatever, just so long as the do not look like weapon cases. This thought has absolutely no basis in their rules, just what I think would make sense. DO NOT pull them out or wave them around. We obviously have lawmen out here who cannot tell the difference between real and fake weapons no matter how unrealistic they may look.
Absolutely, I would never even think about taking them out in public and would just leave them in my luggage.

I would check them all (in one box if possible), and there will be no problem. And possibly no extra fees.
I have a feeling that the linear inches requirement would go over if I put them all in one box (provided that Amtrak allows me to bring boxes), but I'll see if that's possible!

When my sword is finished my commissioner is going to ship it to me. I was planning to use the same box but then I saw this on Amtrak's policy.

- "Examples of unsuitable containers include (but are not limited to) trash bags, large packing boxes, containers that let sharp/pointed items protrude, or containers that cannot securely hold contents or prevent exposure to weather."

I just assumed that they don't allow shipping boxes and that you must bring a luggage.
Correct. :) They're addressing the crazy people who use things like laundry baskets and garbage bags to carry their clothing. (Not even joking - someone boarded with a laundry basket once.)

For checked baggage, a packing box is fine, as long as it's secure. Some people use Amtrak to move between college and home every summer.

Correct. :) They're addressing the crazy people who use things like laundry baskets and garbage bags to carry their clothing. (Not even joking - someone boarded with a laundry basket once.)

For checked baggage, a packing box is fine, as long as it's secure. Some people use Amtrak to move between college and home every summer.
Ah I see! I'll probably just use the same shipping box for my sword. One more question I have is that Amtrak states that boxes must have a "handle".

• Cardboard boxes will only be accepted in checked baggage – boxes must have handles and be adequate for shipping; Amtrak shipping boxes are available for sale
I highly doubt that my box will come with a "handle". Would it be allowed for me to make my own handle (making holes and adding some sort of durable materials that would hold it)?

Yeah... tape, twine, all that stuff. It doesn't have to be a perfect handle, just something they can grab when they need to move/shift the checked baggage on the carts, in the car, etc.

You could use twine and wrap it around the box like you do with a present. They can grab the part where the bow would be, like this:

present-red.png

Yeah... tape, twine, all that stuff. It doesn't have to be a perfect handle, just something they can grab when they need to move/shift the checked baggage on the carts, in the car, etc.

You could use twine and wrap it around the box like you do with a present. They can grab the part where the bow would be, like this:

present-red.png
Ah that's a wonderful idea! I was planning to wrap only two sides. I'll definitely wrap around the four sides of the box as that would be much better and much much more durable!

Not sure if it is allowed, but I see no reason it would cause an issue if it was in your carry in bags. Nobody would have an oppurtunity to see it.

Make sure you DO NOT use the term "weapon" with anyone in authority. Call them stage props or even toys, but if YOU refer to them as weapons, Amtrak MAY treat them as such.

The OP said it is still being made. As long as it's a work in process, can it be made into two pieces that snap together? Not sure how long each piece is, but if the total is 54" and it was separated exactly in half, that would be 27" each. Some suitcases are 28". That might be doable.

Another idea is to borrow a guitar or bass case from someone. It will have a handle, and should be long enough to fit your long sword.

Apropos to the topic, though not actually answering the OP's question, :giggle: I once saw a man on Metra openly carrying a Klingon sword (batleth?) that had no sharpened edge but was full-sized and clearly made of steel. :eek: He wasn't in costume, so I presume he was going to a Trek convention downtown to sell the sword. The conductor joked with him about it but nobody called the police. And IIRC, it was after 9/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back