Britain's first Double-Decker train, 1949

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Nice short! Not what I'd call double-decker or bilevel, but certainly practical with the low clearances in the UK.

A tidbit, those 'strip lights' (actually not fluorescent but incandescent bulbs) were, if no longer, made locally for US production here in Chicago. Still a US patent though!

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Nice short! Not what I'd call double-decker or bilevel, but certainly practical with the low clearances in the UK.
The original (1999) RER-E stock in Paris has an arrangement almost like that.

1280px-Z_22500.jpg

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Now that step up is a gap to mind!

(and so rusty - makes Metra look good)
Fortunately they were augmented with new single level stock in 2009. I don't know how many, if any, are still in service.

Most European railways do not even pretend to try to have level boarding at all stations.

in 1949: A new double-decker train, SR Class 4DD, was introduced at London Charing Cross, aimed at alleviating the overcrowded commute.
More like a "split-level" than a double-decker. The design is reminiscent of the duplex sleeping cars.

The upper seats would have been a bit uncomfortable for ladies in the 1960's.

JontyMort

Lead Service Attendant
The DD sets were designed by Bulleid just before nationalisation. In practice the disadvantages - of which longer station dwell times were one - meant that only the two prototype 4-car sets were built. They survived until 1971.

cirdan

Engineer
The DD sets were designed by Bulleid just before nationalisation. In practice the disadvantages - of which longer station dwell times were one - meant that only the two prototype 4-car sets were built. They survived until 1971.

I believe one if not several cars still survive today in some museum, but have not been cared for and are in increasingly decrepit condition.