Broadway Limited/Three Rivers discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem unwilling or unable to come to terms with the fact that Ohio and Pennsylvanian failed to put their political muscles and funds behind the trains that were eliminated. There were options and they were not chosen.
Oh I accept it. Doesn't mean I have to like it and doesn't mean I have to think it's fair. To me, fair would be to choose routes and service that maximize ridership and revenue. But of course there are other issues to consider.
You only think that it's unfair because your city got the short end of the stick (where "short end of the stick" translates to "significantly more service and options that a single slow train in the middle of the night"). Like it or not, the people voted for politicians that would fight for them. Want to fix it? Convince your fellow Pennsylvanians to vote for politicians that will support the rail service that you desire.

Things Amtrak could've done to save the BL:
1. (during the first cancellation in 1995) Cancelled the Pioneer and Desert Wind, which were cancelled in 1997 anyway. Financially, those cancellations were an improvement.2. (during the cancellation of the Three Rivers in 2005) Cancelled the Sunset East, which was cancelled anyway later in 2005. Financially, that cancellation was again an improvement, and all the states involved have been irredemably unwilling to pay for trains.

Cutting ANY Chicago-East Coast service was simply an error. There were better alternatives for trains to cut, which were cut anyway less than 3 years later.

Massachusetts actually found a much better and more viable service from Boston South Station to Cape Cod by rail too. it just happens not to involve Amtrak.

Pennsylvania's fundamental problem is that the western half of the state really does not care much for trains of any sort
This is not really accurate.
Pittsburgh and its surroundings are clearly pretty supportive of passenger trains. The trouble is "Pennsyltucky" between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.

The only place in between where a strong positive interest in passenger trains has been evinced is State College, which is why I strongly believe that Harrisburg-State College should be the next priority for "Keystone West". It changes the political dynamics.

Massachusetts actually found a much better and more viable service from Boston South Station to Cape Cod by rail too. it just happens not to involve Amtrak.

Pennsylvania's fundamental problem is that the western half of the state really does not care much for trains of any sort
This is not really accurate.
Pittsburgh and its surroundings are clearly pretty supportive of passenger trains. The trouble is "Pennsyltucky" between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.

The only place in between where a strong positive interest in passenger trains has been evinced is State College, which is why I strongly believe that Harrisburg-State College should be the next priority for "Keystone West". It changes the political dynamics.
I would guess State College (Penn State) would be a very good market. It would be great for PSU students traveling to and from the Philadelphia area, the New York area, the Pittsburgh area, and all of the cities along the Keystone/ Pennsylvanian route. I can only imagine the train on any football home game Saturday. If they can get train tracks up there, I can see the ridership increase quite a bit. Maybe they can start a Thruway Bus between State College and either Altoona and/or Lewistown.

Look at either Champaign, Illinois or Ann Arbor, Michigan to see how popular trains are in college towns. I'm sure Penn State would be no different.

Yep, check out the Texas Eagle and the Heartland Flyer, "The Big Game Train", the week that OU and UT play in Big D!

The HCF normally terminates in Ft Worth daily,( OU also plays TCU there), but for the Big Game they run it all the way to the Cotton Bowl Stadium in Dallas and it, and the Eagles, are packed with fans in Red and White and Burnt Orange and White!

" Boomer Sooner!". " Hook 'em Horns!"

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge the Three Rivers (1996-2005) never had a diner car. AU endlessly complains about food and dining. I'm sure there are people who avoided it like the plague and would rather take that other train that was 8 hours longer just because it had a diner. If AU could be happy with an overnight train without a diner, maybe we'd still have the Three Rivers and the Pioneer today. I'd take a Three Rivers without sleepers over having to change trains in DC or Pittsburgh. If you keep demanding all or nothing, most of the time you wind up with nothing.
I took the 3 Rivers from Philly to Chicago I believe it was 2002. They had a section for Sleeping Car Passengers where they served meals it was the equivalent to todays Flex Dining.

I took the 3 Rivers from Philly to Chicago I believe it was 2002. They had a section for Sleeping Car Passengers where they served meals it was the equivalent to todays Flex Dining.
IIRC, it was pretty close to what is done on the Cardinal today, even before Flex Dining came up.

IIRC, it was pretty close to what is done on the Cardinal today, even before Flex Dining came up.
What was done on the Cardinal before flex dining was a little nicer than flex dining. (I rode it in 2015.) It was real table service, and the food was served with the same plates and silverware as the traditional dining. Everything was precooked, though, as they only had a microwave and convection oven/toaster in the Amfleet cafe car used. Some of the dishes weren't bad.

What was done on the Cardinal before flex dining was a little nicer than flex dining. (I rode it in 2015.) It was real table service, and the food was served with the same plates and silverware as the traditional dining. Everything was precooked, though, as they only had a microwave and convection oven/toaster in the Amfleet cafe car used. Some of the dishes weren't bad.
The Lunches and Dinners were pretty Good, but the Breakfasts( especially the French Toast Sticks and the Rubbery Omelets)were as bad as Flex and the Original " New and Improved Contemporary Dining!"

Back