Broken Down Cardinal (51)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a very good attitude toward a bad situation:). I hope your next trip, by whatever means of transport, goes well and without any difficulties or delays.:)

The compounding effect of the PTC Mistake / forced crew change was felt last night on 50 headed south.

Due to the late arrival of 51 - 50 wasn’t turned around until 9:15pm (3 ½ hrs late) and arrived at my destination a total of 5 ½ hours late - only 4 ¼ hours into the return trip to NY.

Glad I had a sleeper - but I feel bad for my saint wife who got out of bed after 2am to ultimately wait yet another hour at the station for my train to arrive. Not one word of complaint either - just a smile and an empathetic attitude. I married waaayyyy better than I deserved. :)

I feel bad for my saint wife who got out of bed after 2am to ultimately wait yet another hour at the station for my train to arrive. Not one word of complaint either - just a smile and an empathetic attitude. I married waaayyyy better than I deserved.

Just my impression from reading your posts...but I think your wife also married pretty well.

Sorry for your spoiled trip.

I was on the Cardinal on Oct 27 and we were stopped between Crawfordsville and
Rennessler for about 30 minutes, then creeped along for a few minutes and then
up to speed. We reached Chicago for my connection to Dallas (#21). We were told
it was a track issue and I saw a CSX truck and workmen along the track.

This thread now makes me wonder, where along the Cardinal's track route between Dyer-Clifton Forge is CSX doing track work? Sad to hear, and this now makes me a slight bit worried about doing such a Cardinal train trip myself. As I wouldn't want to run into delays that'd cause me to miss my train going back in WV, myself. As I did have a thought of riding east on the Cardinal to WV(maybe to Hinton? and for just so many hours that day), then ride the westbound Cardinal back to Chicago.

As for IndyLions, sorry to hear about that PTC incident that made your train very late in arriving into Chicago, and screwed up your westbound Zephyr connection! I do worry it was more CSX and not Amtrak that was at fault there, but who knows?

Back