Buffalo Depew station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok that was harsh.

Walking or take a taxi to the Walden Galleria Mall is your best bet.  There are several place to hang out in or around the Mall area.  Just not at the train station proper.  How long of a layover?  Normally if you need to switch to the LSL west bound just keep travel east before you disembarked the train.  Say Syracuse or even further east.  

Taxi to Canalside - fresh air, things to do. If it's Winter and a weekend, check the Sabres schedule. If it's April thru Sept check the Buffalo Bisons schedule - they're the AAA club for the Toronto Blue Jay's.

Depew's a god-awful location.  If you're connecting between the LSL and the Maple Leaf, you should either connect in Rochester (lots in walking distance), connect in Syracuse (lots in walking distance), or in Buffalo, get a taxi downtown and use Buffalo-Exchange for the Maple Leaf.

You can also ride the City Bus downtown, it runs right beside Depew Station, but it is Slow ( but Cheap)and goes through less than the beautiful part of Buffalo.

Downtown is a fascinating look back  @ the time when Buffalo rivaled New York City for Wealth and Influence!!

It is a much more interesting City than Rochester or Syracuse which are  places that have seen much better days!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any attractions or way to spend time for a long layover?
Anything you can dream of. I arrived way early for the Maple Leaf to Toronto, and then the train  was way late. That gave me a three-hour nap, horizontal on a window bench. I could've dreamed of anything, but instead "dreamed" of my time on the Canadian leaving at 10pm the next night. Or was the whole thing a fantasy?

Seriously, nothing remarkable in that neighborhood. Didn't go exploring.

I am usually asleep when traveling on the LSL westbound. However this is the last train west across NY. Very busy on Sunday, and my talks with the “shorts” indicate a lot of traffic getting off at Depew. I would suspect there’s going to be multiple options at the station for you. This may vary on the day of your arrival.

Please post your results, with your day of arrival.

Nice to see you again on AU Rafi, hope the wife and career is doing well.

Edit: Test booked on Lyft and had multi options available. So I thinking your good to go.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. Does anybody happen to know what the taxi or Uber situation is at Depew for the westbound LSL, which has a scheduled arrival at 12:30 AM? I’m planning a trip and will need to get to downtown Buffalo after the LSL pulls in. Any advice would be appreciated!

Rafi
This past June, I used both Taxi and Lyft several times in Buffalo. On my LSL trip to Depew to Buffalo was by taxii - at 12:40PM the LSL arrived and a taxi was waiting to see if there was a passenger who needed a ride and that that was-me. I later found out the price from the Depew station to downtown was the same taxi or Lyft. I think it was $35. The driver gave me his card - Bryan C. Rzoska (716) 228-7799 and he has my recommendation.. We went swiftly down route 33 and arrived at my downtown destination a little past 1 AM.

Daytime Lyft drivers were readily available around Buffalo, even from the motel that was very close to the Depew Amtrak station I was able to find a Lyft driver in minutes.

I rented cars in Buffalo and Toronto and Lyfts readily available all over

==========

As far as the Amtrak station at Depew, I found it to be very nice. Staff of at least 3 - fine. The vending machines seem to all work, the restrooms were fairly updated and nice, and the seats were the kind where you could actually sleep on if you needed to by stretching out over a few of them. No arm rests. The TV was on closed caption. Eight out of 10 in my book.

Back