Buffalo to Tampa - how much time to allow for poss. delays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Alice_*

My husband and I are considering on taking the train this fall, for the 1st time, travelling from Buffalo to Tampa. (I do not like to fly). Buffalo - NYC on the Empire: 7 hours & NYC - Tampa Silver line: 21 hours. We need to arrive in Tampa on Sunday noon (Nov. 1) to catch a cruise. After reading this forum we notice several mentioning delays and unreliable time schedules. How much time (hours/days?) should we allow to get there to catch our ship? Also - would it be worth it to get a roomette? Any other words of advice for us newbies?

Hi Alice, If your catching a cruise I highly suggest you arrive the day before. A delay of a few hours will cause you to miss your ship. Here is a link from the convention and visitors bureau in Tampa with hotel/cruise packages. I guess your going on either the Legend or Ryndam. I'll be cruising the day you finish your cruise. Enjoy your trip.

Aloha Alice

Going coach if you are young and flexable for one night is OK. I did a quich search on Amtrak.com and notice there arn't any arrivals in Tampa before noon so you definately need to go the day before.

The biggest/best reason for sleeper accommodations are the included meals. And the use of the lounge for connecting trains. Have you considered any other schedules or connections?

Eric

I would certainly plan to arrive into Tampa a day or two early. Unlike flying, where you could be delayed in Buffalo, say Atlanta and then Tampa, a train could be delayed anywhere from Buffalo to Albany to New York, in New York, and then anywhere between New York and Tampa! And then if you miss the ship, there is nowhere to meet your cruise between Tampa and (I assume) Mexico! So I would be sure to arrive early.

I too might suggest a roomette, for the reasons Eric suggested. You can wait in the Club Acela in Penn Station, and all your meals in the dining car on the Silver Service would be included for both of you. (That may save you $80-$100 right there.)

Enjoy your trips, and let us know how it went!

Hi, Alice. My husband and I took a cruise this past winter and also took Amtrak to Florida. We are from the midwest, so went from Chicago to DC, and then down to Ft. Lauderdale. We actually gave ourselves almost 2 extra days to get to Florida...arrived in FTL at about 6 pm, had the whole next day just to relax and unwind, and then boarded the ship at noon the following day. We were prepared for delays, but of course, didn't have any trouble at all. But better to be prepared... the ship won't wait for you! It was much more relaxing knowing that we had that extra time in case our trains were delayed or we missed a connection.

We had a roomette, and that was really nice...having our own private space to watch the scenery go by, and a place to stretch out overnight. And as mentioned...meals are included! We enjoyed it so much, that we are doing the same trip next January to catch another cruise!

Have a fun trip!

Cindy

Thank you for all the replies to our inquiry. Makes us feel a lot more at ease. We would love to hear from others who have taken the same route - at least those who took the Silver Line from NYC to Florida.

CindyLou - so glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much that you are doing it again! We are looking forward to this new adventure. One other question: What did you do with your luggage during the trip and while you waited for the connections? We usually travel with at least 3 large suitcases and a carry- on bag. I've read so many discussions on this forum regarding the luggage situation and seems like everyone has a different story.

One other question: What did you do with your luggage during the trip and while you waited for the connections? We usually travel with at least 3 large suitcases and a carry- on bag. I've read so many discussions on this forum regarding the luggage situation and seems like everyone has a different story.
On the Empire Service trains, since there is no checked baggage service, you can hand carry your bags aboard. There are luggage racks above your seat (MUCH bigger then on planes) and space for them at the end of the car, and then check them in NYP for the trip to Florida. You could also check them in BUF - but you would need to do this the day before, because the only train is the Lake Shore Limited and the LSL arrives into NYP too late to connect that same day. (The bags would be transfered for you,)

Alice, I'm not sure if you've cruised out of other Florida ports, but I think you'll find Tampa's cruise port a much more tourist-friendly place from which to begin your voyage. You definitely want to arrive a day ahead to allow for train delays, but showing up "too early" is never a problem as there are multiple entertainment, shopping, and dining options available in and near the port. The Florida Aquarium, SS American Victory Museum Ship, and Channelside complex are literally steps away from your ship.

Tampa Union Station is a great point of entry for cruisegoers. Arriving only blocks away from the port, your transfers both before and after the cruise will be a breeze compared to those of your shipmates arriving to Tampa by air!

Union Station lies between the port and the Ybor City Historic District, which has some very convenient hotel options. Ybor's flavor and atmosphere is reminiscent of New Orleans (less cajun... more cuban) and there are numerous dining and nightlife venues withing walking distance of Ybor hotels. Unless you're bringing a large volume of luggage, the TECO Line Streetcar is a cheap, convenient, and fun way to get from Ybor's hotels right to the port for embarkation.

Hotels near Channelside and the convention center also offer great convenience to the port area.

Good luck in planning your trip. Going from "rail" to "sail" should be a great vacation. Bon Voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back